The Iphone 6 billboard Print out advertisment

art2d3d

Dec 15, 2003
I saw the "Shot with Iphone 6" photo advertisment printed to billboard size at Keppel Flyover.
I am wondering.... can a 8 megapixel camera be printed to billboard size?

From: http://photoseek.com/2011/print-sharp-maximum-size-quality-resolution-viewing-distance/
An excellent 8 to 10 megapixel camera (circa 2007) can create printed images perceived as sharp when viewed at a distance equal to the print’s longer dimension (or further away). For example, for most people, a 20×30 inch print from an 8-10 megapixel SLR camera looks sharp viewed at 30 inches. This rule is subjective.
[...]
The following subjective viewing distance formula for the human eye is for well-printed images, from any high quality camera of any megapixel size:
Optimal viewing distance in inches ____ = 3500 divided by ( ____ optimal image file pixels per inch or ppi )

• Example A: A 240 ppi print can look sharp when viewed at 15 inches or greater, which is about the closest that most people look at prints. (14.6 inches = 3500 / 240 ppi)
  • Example B: The 10 megapixel Nikon D40X captures 3872 x 2592 pixels native size. Take the longer dimension of 3872 pixels, and divide by 240 ppi, which equals a 16 inch print, which should look sharp when viewed at 15 inches or further from your eye. Enlarging this image, doubling its long side to 32 inches, will look sharp when viewed at least 30 inches from your eye (twice as far away).
  • This formula is subjective, meaning your judgment of image sharpness may differ from mine.

Last edited:
I saw the "Shot with Iphone 6" photo advertisment printed to billboard size at Keppel Flyover.

Years ago.,.. I was doing a number of in-house product and spa treatment photography for MarCom projects before the attack of DSLRs. I had SLRs but i decided to used a 3 megapixel Sony DSC-S70 Point and Shoot for all my photography work. ( My second camera into digital photography with the first one being the geeky Sony camera Sony Cyber-shot DSC-KW11 which uses 3.5" diskette as memory card ) I did the artwork using shots I took with that point and shoot to make 20feet x 20 feet banner hung on the side of Puteri Pacific Johor Bahru Hotel to promote our spa.

So what about a Apple 8 megapixel camera then? heheheh Marketing fluff... nothing more to scream about.

You just need to know graphic design and production works to get it done.

Last edited:
I remembered some years back,
one member asking of recommendation of a Canon macro lens for his Canon 5DMKII to shoot his newborn baby, because he can't get close up enough,
I told him can just shoot with existing lens and crop it, since he said is not printing anything larger then 6R prints.
but he said he prefer not to crop it and would like to have a new lens instead.
I said; dude, do you know your camera has 21.1MP? how many pixel/dot you can to squeeze inside a 6R print?
he said; he had no ideal on what resolution is needed but want to keep all the details in the image.
I said; OK, do whatever float your boat.

I remembered some years back,
one member asking of recommendation of a Canon macro lens for his Canon 5DMKII to shoot his newborn baby, because he can't get close up enough,
I told him can just shoot with existing lens and crop it, since he said is not printing anything larger then 6R prints.
but he said he prefer not to crop it and would like to have a new lens instead.
I said; dude, do you know your camera has 21.1MP? how many pixel/dot you can to squeeze inside a 6R print?
he said; he had no ideal on what resolution is needed but want to keep all the details in the image.
I said; OK, do whatever float your boat.

That guy just wan to spend some money on a new lens. He doesn't care crop or no crop.

The baby is just an excuse

Possible. It's subjective to the distance of sight.

From far distance, the big poster will look sharp. If u go close, u will definitely see the big dots.

Then why do we need higher megapixels count?
Those from Medium format and NXXXX and CXXXX.

many people bought it just because they can afford it, without knowing whether do they really need it.

japanese-girl-camera2.jpg

If you ask any XMM camera with higher megapixels always shoots better photos.

:bsmilie:

Then why do we need higher megapixels count?
Those from Medium format and NXXXX and CXXXX.

Professionals and those who are serious about photography always use Nikon or Canon and nothing else.

And do not use anything other than Nikon or Canon as the rest don't have good optics and can't take good photos.

Professionals and those who are serious about photography always use Nikon or Canon and nothing else.

And do not use anything other than Nikon or Canon as the rest don't have good optics and can't take good photos.

Hey come on. Your statement is not true lor.....

Not only that, our economy is build on consumerism, if everyone is only buy what they need or necessities, not what they want (or whatever advertisers telling them what they should have), the whole market will crash.

btw, buying something luxury, more that what you really need will make you feel good isn't it, who can really resist that?

agree !! that's why i dont use my Sony DSLR anymore.

I use GoPro.