The importance of backup....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Had a HDD glitch last week in which I lost several movie files... then after checking, I realized several of my picture folders were missing! About 300-400 JPEG and RAW files in all... sian liao.. will have to drop by Sim Lim this weekend and pick up a DVD-RW drive for backup. Anyone recommend any particular model? Is the $100 BenQ one good?

If your HDD is not dead but just lost files. I can offer you a solution, buy this - http://www.octanesoft.com/. This s/w can recover lost header NEF informations and reconstruct it perfectly from HDDs and removable storages unlike Image Rescue which works only on cards.

Best, it's only 27 USD.

:)

btw, avoid the BenQ DVD RWs.

The benq one is good.. but alternatively, you can trying raid 1 your system.. normally some new motherboard support raid now..

running raid 1 give u peace of mind.. but of course sometimes do a DVD backup lah

I've managed to recover some of the files using a commercially available undelete program, but lost quite a few more cause before I realized that I had lost the picture folders (thought it was only some movies -no big deal) I was copying stuff to and from that drive...

espn: Why? You can't just say avoid the BenQ drive without giving a reason dude... ;p

cereal: wouldn't mind doing a RAID system, but don't wanna spend so much on another HDD.. think a DVD-RW drive is cheaper :)

spend a little bit more.. goes a long way.. just my 2c worth

Gymrat76 said:
I've managed to recover some of the files using a commercially available undelete program, but lost quite a few more cause before I realized that I had lost the picture folders (thought it was only some movies -no big deal) I was copying stuff to and from that drive...

espn: Why? You can't just say avoid the BenQ drive without giving a reason dude... ;p

cereal: wouldn't mind doing a RAID system, but don't wanna spend so much on another HDD.. think a DVD-RW drive is cheaper :)

Gymrat76 said:
Haven't heard anything good about it and people are not very supportive too. It's going at 99 @ South-Asia @ Funan if you really want to buy, but personally would rather go for other blands.

Gymrat76 said:
You want to sleep peacefully? RAID 5 is the way to go!

Hiak hiak.

RAID 1 = 2 HDD mirrored
which means 60GB x 2 HDD, available space is only 60GB. Very expensive. If 1 HDD is spoilt, the other is still able to function with the data intact. But if data is lost, both will be sync up which means data is still lost on both HDD.

I think TDK DVD RWs are better ba. Never tried Benq but heard it had some issue.

Only solution is backup, DVDs or if you have $$ then run a tape backup solution but that is costly and you won't be able to read it unless u perform a restore. DVDs price should be going cheaper and furthermore you will not need power to keep it stored unlike your HDD. There is never a perfect solution, depends on your needs for it.

larlee said:
RAID 1 = 2 HDD mirrored
which means 60GB x 2 HDD, available space is only 60GB. Very expensive. If 1 HDD is spoilt, the other is still able to function with the data intact. But if data is lost, both will be sync up which means data is still lost on both HDD.

I think TDK DVD RWs are better ba. Never tried Benq but heard it had some issue.

Only solution is backup, DVDs or if you have $$ then run a tape backup solution but that is costly and you won't be able to read it unless u perform a restore. DVDs price should be going cheaper and furthermore you will not need power to keep it stored unlike your HDD. There is never a perfect solution, depends on your needs for it.

How much is the TDK drive going for?

get pioneer... quality drive and silent too.

I'd store my backups on CD-R's rather than DVD-R's if I were you..

Firefox said:
I'd store my backups on CD-R's rather than DVD-R's if I were you..

can elaborate the difference? me about to start backup my data also, thanks :)

THe original CD format had overbuilt error correction capabilities for audio. But that was great for data since data loss due to minor scratches and such could be recovered.

DVD format was created for videos and the designers recognised that CRC didn't have to be as much as CD's.. Good for video since more data can be stored. But bad for data storage because it's harder to recover corrupted/ lost data.

Firefox said:
THe original CD format had overbuilt error correction capabilities for audio. But that was great for data since data loss due to minor scratches and such could be recovered.

DVD format was created for videos and the designers recognised that CRC didn't have to be as much as CD's.. Good for video since more data can be stored. But bad for data storage because it's harder to recover corrupted/ lost data.

OIC ... that's great advise, thanks ... actually i intending to get a new harddisk to backup everything also

go RAID and get yourself the LG GSA-4163B Double Layer 16x16x4x Super-Multi Drive DVD±RW/DVD-RAM Writer

i trust that DVD drive with my life now after BenQ ruined it. :angry:

Waffle said:
go RAID and get yourself the LG GSA-4163B Double Layer 16x16x4x Super-Multi Drive DVD±RW/DVD-RAM Writer

i trust that DVD drive with my life now after BenQ ruined it. :angry:

You mean your BenQ disk SCREWED UP???? :dunno:

I am now worried, as I bought a benq dvd drive...... :cry:

Halfmoon said:

i use to have a BenQ external cd writer, fails to write after 1 year :rolleyes:

Halfmoon said:

i bought 2 BenQ drives, 1 a dvd-drive and the other a dvd-writer because they were cheap.

both died within 2 months. :angry:

i've been using the LG drive since December last year and it's now still in tip-top condition. damn solid stuff. and i got it at only $149 then, should be able to get it now at around $100/+.

the benq thing could just be limited to me la, maybe i'm just not "fated" to use it. :dunno:

I have an imation DVD-Writer. still working well after 3-4 years and it saved my photos when a harddisk crashed :) It was very expensive back then though.

mpenza said:
I have an imation DVD-Writer. still working well after 3-4 years and it saved my photos when a harddisk crashed :) It was very expensive back then though.

i think imation is great, i got the internal CD writer for 1.5 years, works very smoothly, never give any problems. think it's within the mid price range now compared to available brands in the market.

i love Imation products, have always used their CD-Rs since the beginning even though they're not as cheap as others, but i like to pay for quality, only 1 coaster produced in the past 4 years, and that was only because I screwed up. :thumbsup:

the brand name is a little weird to me though, cos everytime i see Imation, i'd be reminded of a friend who asked me where to get "imitation" cd-rs and i was going "what? pasar malam la! sls la!" and he was going "nonononono!" for a whole day before i finally understood. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.