The importance of an external flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

quququ

Jan 5, 2009
Hi Guys,

I am using 40D & 17-55 F2.8 to shoot portrait (mainly) and landscape.

May I know how important is external flash to the shooting? And is it especially important to portrait, even when I take photos outside, during day time. I don't know if I should buy an external flash, like the Canon 430EX II.

Thanks.

Stronger illumination, faster cycling, more flexible placement / angulation are some common features of external flash over the built in ones.

Sometimes abit of fill flash under natural lighting can be nice to have for portraiture. But for me most of the time for my type of shoot ( i dun do portraits :p ) i am happy not using it. Individual work preference.

Ryan

Last edited:
it is only useful if you take the trouble to learn how to use it well

ya, fully agreed.. but if using manual 100% full charge for every burst type... learning curve will be even worst...

Thanks for all the reply. Helps a lot.

I think if price is within my budget I will get a used one. :)

it is only useful if you take the trouble to learn how to use it well

Sorry if this is OT, but how do you learn to use it? Books? Videos? Any recommendations? I'm trying to learn to use the 430EXII as well.

Sorry if this is OT, but how do you learn to use it? Books? Videos? Any recommendations? I'm trying to learn to use the 430EXII as well.
basically there are two things you need to learn.

#1, flash lighting.
this is more generic, more on how you manipulate artificial/flash lighting. many books, sites, youtube do have discussion or tutorial on this areas

#2, operating a flash.
this is know what the functions your 430XII have and how to use it. read your flash manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.