The idea DSLR camera system ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niccon

Mar 9, 2004
I was wondering if any of the major camera manufacturers is working in this direction of having a DSLR camera which can have its CCD sensor and IC processor upgrade/match separately from a choice of electro-mechanical bodies.

My idea is that the manufacturer can come up with a body which can last 20-30yrs and allows progressive up grading of CCD sensor, IC processor and software every 2-4yr. We can foresee that in the next 10yrs to come, there will be higher mega pixel CCD sensor, more high speed processor and complex software coming out fast every year. With the present practice, that means some of us will be buying new a camera almost very 1-2yrs and still with some functions which we do not need.

This will convert to wastage of resources, frustration of learning & adjusting to new camera system and problem of disposing of electronics/plastic/metal waste.

With upgradeable/matching camera system, I can see that consumer have better choice of picking their idea system. Eg . Some of us may want to have a

Demanding body (mirror lock, high shutter speed, wide range exposure compensation)
High processing speed (high frame rate, 36bit analogue to digital converter?)
High picture resolution (40 mega pixel?)

Or Low end body, Average processing speed but High picture resolution.

This may sound silly but I prefer to have more choice. So what is your ideal system? Do post and share here.

Ooops, misspell ideal :embrass: .

A little too much heaven here I suppose....

Looking at it from another angle, I guess that equates to the following:
"Having enough cash in the pockets to upgrade to a better camera
every time a new model comes up without having to worry about
the cost of replacement...... I guess this works better as I am sure
5 months from now, I will be yearning for a better built body with better
materials, lighter and more sturdy, better chip, electronics and so on
and so forth..."

Realistically speaking, thats asking way too much isnt it? ;)

Niccon said:
I was wondering if any of the major camera manufacturers is working in this direction of having a DSLR camera which can have its CCD sensor and IC processor upgrade/match separately from a choice of electro-mechanical bodies.

My idea is that the manufacturer can come up with a body which can last 20-30yrs and allows progressive up grading of CCD sensor, IC processor and software every 2-4yr. We can foresee that in the next 10yrs to come, there will be higher mega pixel CCD sensor, more high speed processor and complex software coming out fast every year. With the present practice, that means some of us will be buying new a camera almost very 1-2yrs and still with some functions which we do not need.

This will convert to wastage of resources, frustration of learning & adjusting to new camera system and problem of disposing of electronics/plastic/metal waste.

With upgradeable/matching camera system, I can see that consumer have better choice of picking their idea system. Eg . Some of us may want to have a

Demanding body (mirror lock, high shutter speed, wide range exposure compensation)
High processing speed (high frame rate, 36bit analogue to digital converter?)
High picture resolution (40 mega pixel?)

Or Low end body, Average processing speed but High picture resolution.

This may sound silly but I prefer to have more choice. So what is your ideal system? Do post and share here.

This is pretty much a description of medium format systems with interchangeable backs. Guess technology's going back to its roots eh? :D

camera but a black box that holds a light capturing medium.

You have your ideal system right now here!

Get your dSLR tomorrow rightaway. D70 or the Canon equivalent or more or less. When it's time to upgrade, in 1, 2, 3 or 10 years time, just sell it away here at Clubsnap and get your brand new cam, that is faster, better resolution and cheaper, with all the bells and whistles you want, you dream of......

But of course, dSLR depreciates much, much faster than a film SLR or for that matter, your Nikkor or Canon lens. Good to note that Nikkors depreciates very, very slowly, becos the better Nikkors are built to last, and obsolescence doesn't apply here. Even today, after 15 years or more, manual focus lenses are still being used, and being sold and traded.

the most dedicated system dowsn't come from modulated system but very integrated systems....

But 1 thing i really hope is the Image stabilise feature on the body...so far can't think of any brilliant yet pratical concept on this.

But dun think canon or nikon will adapt this is the near feature...else they will be killing their own IS range of lens...sad for consumers like us right?

Currently the DSLR is still designed and made on the platform of the historical SLR...will look forward to see if there is any breakthrough in the SLR word..eg; YLR PLR blah blah blah or watever 4/3 5/11 systems...

However we will not live to see all these....technologies will evolve very slowly from now...cos our humans are getting complacent of wat we r having now...

But 1 thing i really hope is the Image stabilise feature on the body...so far can't think of any brilliant yet pratical concept on this.

--
that's minolta's offering , coming out sometime later.

Status
Not open for further replies.