The human Eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HHenrYY

Mar 18, 2009
Singapore
Hey guys,
i think this question was asked many times already. (maybe*)

i did a search for human's eye f-stop and the focal length ...?

cannot get a definite answer.
so was wonder what you guys have to say..

Whats the aperature and focal length of the human eye? :think:

Whats the aperature and focal length of the human eye? :think:

if you CONCENTRATE, it is been said to be roughly around 50mm

if not, peripheral vision, it's hard to say, it depends on your state of mind, probably

as for aperture, it is variable, obviously.

yepp, i've been to this website lerh.

hmmm.

seems that focal length and aperture are both variable.

cause some place gave a value and some range,
so confused . xD
best to trust a source with academic backings lor then.

yepp, i've been to this website lerh.

hmmm.

seems that focal length and aperture are both variable.

cause some place gave a value and some range,
so confused . xD

Focal length is not really variable. Don't tell me you can zoom in with your eyes...

Focal length is not really variable. Don't tell me you can zoom in with your eyes...

Maybe he meant the changing of degrees (near/far-sightedness) when we age.

nope, but when you concentrate on certain spot, you get tunnel vision

how the human mind works is so different from a camera, i really don't see a basis for comparison for focal length

what merit would there be in exploring it?

nope, but when you concentrate on certain spot, you get tunnel vision

how the human mind works is so different from a camera, i really don't see a basis for comparison for focal length

what merit would there be in exploring it?

I would agree.

The common thing would be to be really short sighted and see the world without specs. Whoa, creamy bokeh :D

Interested on this also..hee:)

I feel it's 50mm. But we are able to see more degrees as compared to seeing it through a camera. Not sure about f/stops though. If you have perfect vision, what do you think the f/stop would be?

Yeah!! I think focal length is close to 50mm, or 35mm on a crop body.

Hhhmm, f/stop?? Maybe below 1, f/0.8? You still can see in the dark (a little bit after adjusting).

After turning off the lights in our rooms before sleeping, plus ambient light. Kinda hard to "register" a shot. Imagine, if I reach for my 40D and squeeze off a few frames, my wife would ask me, "Eh!! WTH, are you doing ahhh?"

I reckon the shots would come out darker than what my eyes can "see". :think:

The focal length of the human eye can be adjusted by changing physical radius of the curvature of the lens during accommodation by pull of ciliary muscles no ?

Threw my physiology out of the brain, but I think the human eye inspired lots of single element variable focal lens designs

Ryan

ok. Some figures here from the photomag Popular Photography.

Would be a stretch to say they are medically accurate, more for fun and interest sake.

Nighttime ISO: 800
Daytime ISO: 1

DOF: with focal length of 22mm and field of vision at an extreme of 180 degrees, our eyes are capable of of f/3.5.

Resolution: At 120 degree field of view, resolution is about 576MB.

I've been wondering about the DR of the human eye for a while as well. From this website it says that the eye's dynamic range is about 1,000,000:1, which i did the math and it worked out to be nearly 20 stops, or doublings. Cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.