The Hanging Teapot

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng_keow

Oct 8, 2004
Mt Alvernia Hospital
www.pbase.com
Whilst walking in the market place in Phnom Penh, I was attracted to this teapot hanging there amidst a host of other curios. The light that fell on it just happened to give it a certain attraction and glow. (1/20s f/5.6 at 94.0mm iso800 )

1. Is the exposure here correct to give it the desired effect?

2. Does the other things in the periphery distract?

3. Any other comments, please?

Tks

large.jpg

Give people some time to think about it first ... ?

Better to have no comments than banal comments. Heh.

Anyway from me: I like the way you captured the details and the lighting on the pot. It does give it the aged look and a somewhat mysterious feel.. making me wonder about the origins of the pot.

Yes, I do find the other hanging things a little distracting.

I also like the out of focus areas in the background. It adds to the feel of the whole photo.

1. The effect I perceive is of an oriental antique piece though I may not think it's a teapot because of the unusual shape. It has a well used look.

2. The other hanging objects are fine and seem to complement the main subject. But I found the stuff (cloths?) below distracting because am wondering what they are. There's also an illusion the teapot is resting on those cloth rather than hanging.

3. The composition seems a bit off balance because the main subject is bottom "heavy". Are there closer proximity photos to compare because the details of the teapot seem interesting on its own but may not be easy to frame.

Give people some time to think about it first ... ?

Better to have no comments than banal comments. Heh.

Anyway from me: I like the way you captured the details and the lighting on the pot. It does give it the aged look and a somewhat mysterious feel.. making me wonder about the origins of the pot.

Yes, I do find the other hanging things a little distracting.

I also like the out of focus areas in the background. It adds to the feel of the whole photo.

Thanks Yatlapball for your kind considerations. I was trying to think of a closer crop to get the other stuff out of the way but when I did that it looks like I am squashing the poor pot. :eek:

1. The effect I perceive is of an oriental antique piece though I may not think it's a teapot because of the unusual shape. It has a well used look.

2. The other hanging objects are fine and seem to complement the main subject. But I found the stuff (cloths?) below distracting because am wondering what they are. There's also an illusion the teapot is resting on those cloth rather than hanging.

3. The composition seems a bit off balance because the main subject is bottom "heavy". Are there closer proximity photos to compare because the details of the teapot seem interesting on its own but may not be easy to frame.

Thanks centurion_sg. Yup it may not be a teapot. Then what is it?? :dunno:

Sorry I dont have another view. Juz shoot and go. will take note of what you say when I take something like that. :D

actually, its a pretty gd shot. the background gives an impression that this place(antique shop, i presume?) hangs most of their stuff from the ceiling.

1. Is the exposure here correct to give it the desired effect?
What effect were you going for? The sense of being suspended in the air?

What effect were you going for? The sense of being suspended in the air?

I guess in this pic, the subject should be isolated enough to attract the viewer. Should I darken the bg so that the subject be better isolated. As centurion_sg mentioned, the red cloth thingy below may distract the viewer.

the isolation by the light is nice but you can still further burn the background.

The background can also go more OOF but I dunno if your lens can open up further. f2 maybe just nice for further focal isolation in addition to light. When OOF, the background wont distract but gives context instead.

It is also a lil unbalanced, too much space at the bottom. I guess you cropped away some stuff at the top. So u need to balance by cropping more bottom too.

the isolation by the light is nice but you can still further burn the background.

The background can also go more OOF but I dunno if your lens can open up further. f2 maybe just nice for further focal isolation in addition to light. When OOF, the background wont distract but gives context instead.

It is also a lil unbalanced, too much space at the bottom. I guess you cropped away some stuff at the top. So u need to balance by cropping more bottom too.

Thanks. Will take note of what is mentioned. Unfortunately can't open to f2 on my lens.

BTW, I wonder if converting this to B&W will make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.