The Great Singapore Spruce Up - Power of the caucasians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
i am sure many of us have noticed in recent days how much singapore has been transformed.

1) the road otuside suntec city has been tarred over. before that, it was just white metal plates that made your car rock about as you drive over it. according to reports, the tar will be stripped off once the IMF-WB is over.

2) outiside marina square new plants have been planted. the whole landscape has been spruced up totally.

3) outside The Adelphi and supreme court, plants also have been planted and new tar and paint on the roads

4) the zoo and bird park have been renovated in time for the IMF-WB

5) staff are suddenly more friendly around the marina-suntec-city hall area.

6) the whole of mandai road has been re-tarred because of the zoo. prior to this, it was a bumpy road with potholes all over.

7) we launched the 4 million smiles campaign. we can't even smile at our fellow singaporeans but we are expected to smile to foreigners?

8) as a last point, let me relate my experience today at the running lab at funan. i was in the shop with a caucasian. i was totally unattended to and had to call for the salesgirl. when she came, she lacked initiative, and didn't offer much information about shoes. 5 meteres away, her male colleague was busy attending to the caucasian customer, explaining to him the features and usage of a product. i didnt even bother feeling sick about it because i'm so used to seeing this.

does it take foreign visitors to singapore before we can put on our best behaviour? does it go to say that we singaporeans don't care and don't matter to each other? i'm just puzzled here. the 4 million smiles campaign was aimed at foreigners. so it means that singaporeans don't need to be smiled at or treated well in shops?

what do you all think?

You've got a point. Eh but if I smile at a local he may think I am crazy. :bsmilie:

Sarong Party Girls...SPG....SinGaPore...SGP...

Coincidence?

the white imperialists!

This will make a interesting read in the ST forums...... ;)
Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
i am sure many of us have noticed in recent days how much singapore has been transformed.

1) the road otuside suntec city has been tarred over. before that, it was just white metal plates that made your car rock about as you drive over it. according to reports, the tar will be stripped off once the IMF-WB is over.

2) outiside marina square new plants have been planted. the whole landscape has been spruced up totally.

3) outside The Adelphi and supreme court, plants also have been planted and new tar and paint on the roads

6) the whole of mandai road has been re-tarred because of the zoo. prior to this, it was a bumpy road with potholes all over.

7) we launched the 4 million smiles campaign. we can't even smile at our fellow singaporeans but we are expected to smile to foreigners?

8) as a last point, let me relate my experience today at the running lab at funan. i was in the shop with a caucasian. i was totally unattended to and had to call for the salesgirl. when she came, she lacked initiative, and didn't offer much information about shoes. 5 meteres away, her male colleague was busy attending to the caucasian customer, explaining to him the features and usage of a product. i didnt even bother feeling sick about it because i'm so used to seeing this.

does it take foreign visitors to singapore before we can put on our best behaviour? does it go to say that we singaporeans don't care and don't matter to each other? i'm just puzzled here. the 4 million smiles campaign was aimed at foreigners. so it means that singaporeans don't need to be smiled at or treated well in shops?

what do you all think?

jbma said:
You've got a point. Eh but if I smile at a local he may think I am crazy. :bsmilie:

Yah lor!! Smile at the opposite sex and they think you trying to be funny!! :sweat: If unlucky they give you one kind of mean look...

:)

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:

what do you all think?

Get used to it... hahahaha this have been happening in Singapore for a long long time... especially SLS, some shop in SLS, the Sales "Beng" attitude is really poor, as if in the entire world he have the best shop selling electronics stuff... but when an AngMo come, his atitude 360 change... suddenly become patience and nice sales "Beng", speak England and give good service... Personal experience buying a MP3, I go in test the damn thing and pay for it... buying for my "angmo" boss, can claim so dun bother for too much discount... came this French couple... talk so long, service so good, buy a CD player which cost only a quarter of what I purchase... it shows only one thing, even you buy 1D Mark, you not angmo, please buy and f off... Sales Beng in SLS only wanna serve angmo even they buy a $10 battery.... hahahahahahaha;p

jbma said:

Smile to a girl, she thinks you are a Chee Ko Pek.
Smile to a guy, he think you are gay.
Smile to boss, he thinks you want raise.
Smile to fellow workers, they think you want to borrow money.
Smile to fellow photographers, they think you want to borrow lens.

How to smile? :)

devilboy said:
Get used to it... hahahaha this have been happening in Singapore for a long long time... especially SLS, some shop in SLS, the Sales "Beng" attitude is really poor, as if in the entire world he have the best shop selling electronics stuff... but when an AngMo come, his atitude 360 change... suddenly become patience and nice sales "Beng", speak England and give good service... Personal experience buying a MP3, I go in test the damn thing and pay for it... buying for my "angmo" boss, can claim so dun bother for too much discount... came this French couple... talk so long, service so good, buy a CD player which cost only a quarter of what I purchase... it shows only one thing, even you buy 1D Mark, you not angmo, please buy and f off... Sales Beng in SLS only wanna serve angmo even they buy a $10 battery.... hahahahahahaha;p

I think with Ang Moh they can practise speaking English.

With local they only can exchange in Singlish lah.

Next time put on your best cockney accent, sure kena serve first class service one. :bsmilie:

Sion said:

hahaha..What u say 100% represent the thoughts of most singaporeans!!!!

Upz for u !!! :thumbsup:

Sion said:

Actually its down the culture... I went to Switzerland-Zurich-Zugerton last june for work, the people there sees me and smile... to them they welcome you as a tourist, hopefully when you leave, you will come back again. They are proud of their country and wishes you to come again. From the train inspector to the newspaper seller, they will just smile at you, wish you a nice day... after spending a week there, I really like the place.
After I come back to Singapore, I was telling myself, a develop country should have this behaviour, thus I start smiling to my neighbour when I step in the lift.... wau piangz... straigth away turn their face away... wait for the lift to reach their floor and walk away... I give up... hahahahaha:bsmilie:

Sion said:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Well, all this are just part of a bigger picture. Is just like fishing. If there's no food to lure fishes, will it come to the hook?
Of course they must make it promising for the investors to see mar. If all this $$ being spend & in the end got no returns, we all gonna be in big trouble liao. Cost of living will go up once more or what's next.
Just a logic interpretation most local will understand due to not much natural resourses we have here.

PS: Do pardon what I've mentioned here, but it's the true fact that we have to face it so long we are part of this tiny little country.:) Have a nice day dude.

true...i agree with what has been said so far. i did try being nice to singaporeans before..and i failed miserably...felt like a fool. comparing to the times i went to aussie and nz, people there will smile back at you when you acknowledge them. they are proud of what they do. from the janitors to the construction workers, they take pride in their jobs.

one note: please let's not bash caucasians here. this thread was not meant for race bashing :)

devilboy said:
After I come back to Singapore, I was telling myself, a develop country should have this behaviour, thus I start smiling to my neighbour when I step in the lift.... wau piangz... straigth away turn their face away... wait for the lift to reach their floor and walk away... I give up... hahahahaha:bsmilie:

Maybe they think that you want to borrow their DVD recorder or vacumn cleaner? :bsmilie:

Spectrum said:
Well, all this are just part of a bigger picture. Is just like fishing. If there's no food to lure fishes, will it come to the hook?
Of course they must make it promising for the investors to see mar. If all this $$ being spend & in the end got no returns, we all gonna be in big trouble liao. Cost of living will go up once more or what's next.
Just a logic interpretation most local will understand due to not much natural resourses we have here.

PS: Do pardon what I've mentioned here, but it's the true fact that we have to face it so long we are part of this tiny little country.:) Have a nice day dude.

I agree ... we'll have the see this systemically! :)

despite sprucing up efforts, the annual haze is threathening to cloud us over now. see if the organiser can come up with a solution to combat the haze. haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.