The Glenlivet's "The Perfect Shot" Photo Competition - Highest Cash Awards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Julian W. Photography is proud to present The Glenlivet's "The Perfect Shot" photo competition!

At press time, this competition offers the highest-ever single cash prize award for a local
photo competition! For more details and registration, please visit http://theperfectshot.com.sg[/SIZE][/B].

Grand Winner - S$12000 + other prizes (1 award)

Merit Awards - S$1000 cash + other prizes (4 awards)
Consolation Awards - S$100 + other prizes (35 awards)
2 other Special Awards

- A Goodie Bag worth more than $200 will be given to every confirmed participant.
- A Pre-event Launch & Grand Finales have been organised for this Competition.

In the T&C:

LICENSE

Selected entries and the entrants' names may be published by Sponsor in Sponsor's collaterals or on its website, or in any other medium, at the Sponsor's discretion. By entering the Contest, all entrants grant a royalty free irrevocable perpetual non-exclusive license in the entries to Authorized Parties, and acknowledge that Authorized Parties may use the entries and a name credit in any media now or hereafter known, without the restriction, including commercially using and exploiting the entries to fullest extent possible. Entrants consent to the Sponsor doing or omitting to do any act that would otherwise infringe the entrant's "moral rights" in their entry. Display or publication of any entry on an Authorized Party's website does not indicate the entrant will be selected as a winner. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use or exploitation. Additionally, by entering, each entrant grants to Authorized Parties the unrestricted right to use all statements made in connection with the Contest, and pictures or likenesses of Contest entrants, or choose not to do so, at their sole discretion. Authorized Parties will not be required to pay any additional consideration or seek any additional approval in connection with such use or exploitation

another public exploitation.

for all you guys out there who loves the feeling of getting exploited, come on in! =)

So ex!!!!! $98!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Yes, I agree that that this might be expensive at S$98 because it is an exclusive competition but given the goodie bag (which is worth more than $200), 2 parties and also the prizes (45 cash prizes), it would still be worth a try for many.

As for the comment on exploitation, I would leave it to the individual to judge. The top prize is S$12000 + other attractive prizes. Winning this amount, I'm sure this would have even covered any additional fees for the release of the rights of the photos in most, if not all of the cases...even for most pros.

Hope this explains. :)

Yes, I agree that that this might be expensive at S$98 because it is an exclusive competition but given the goodie bag (which is worth more than $200), 2 parties and also the prizes (45 cash prizes), it would still be worth a try for many.

As for the comment on exploitation, I would leave it to the individual to judge. The top prize is S$12000 + other attractive prizes. Winning this amount, I'm sure this would have even covered any additional fees for the release of the rights of the photos in most, if not all of the cases...even for most pros.

Yes, then please only use the photos from the winners and not people who enter the competition. If someone did not win and still their photos are used then it is unfair:nono:

Even if the person just win $1000 or $100 it is still unfair to use their photos. A commercial photos worth much more!

Hi Julian, are you saying that it is ok to use and exploit All Participants photos because you will pay 12,000 to The Winner?

I'm sorry to sound confrontational but, I've read through the explanation about the license again and again, I can't find how this is fair to the participants...

First they have to pay to enter (they'll get a goodie bag, so fine) then their photos can be used in any way the organizer feels like it without any compensations at all.

Let me quote your comment on the last entry:
".....The top prize is S$12000 + other attractive prizes. Winning this amount, I'm sure this would have even covered any additional fees for the release of the rights of the photos in most, if not all of the cases...even for most pros."

Based on your comment, then the organizer should only use the winning image(s) or compensate all other images that they want to use.

As for the exploitation issue, the licensing terms & condition even mention "... without restriction, including commercially using and exploiting the entries to the fullest extent possible..."....

So, for those who wants to have the chance to be exploited... come and join in...

Just some ramblings:

Forget about joining most local photo competitions.

"Glenlivet" -- I thought wow, sounds so posh the name, don't even know what it is until I checked it out, since I don't drink. But behind the whole idea is the "Tan Ah Kow" mentality common in Singa-land. Want things cheap and good as usual.

If I might guess, I think the sponsors or organisers of such photo competitions don't want to spend money to engage professionals to do whatever shoot they need. So they organise such "competitions" in the easier way to get the job done at a much cheaper cost.

IMHO, if the intention is to promote photography, why the exorbitant $98 fees to join? And those guys have the rights to use the works of even those who did not win? Didn't win already and still you want to use their works for free....? Hmmm... What does this say.

And $98... You multiply that by more than 100 participants (you know there are people who will still join)... maybe more than a thousand participants... the $12,000 prize is peanuts for them.

$200 goodies bag... We don't even know what's inside. Stuffs that we don't need? Like how they entice unsuspecting consumers with cheapo tripods, camera bags, lens cleaner, etc at our local computer fairs? And since the theme is not known till you get the goodie bag, good luck if you don't find it suitable for your kind of shoot. Your $98 will be down the drain.

Ok all these aside, I think what most photographers (amateurs and pros alike) think is disgusting is the right to use their works so freely. This is an open admission that the whole photography competition thingy is a farce. It's likely about advertising for the sponsors/organiser at minimal budget.

Its damn contradicting ..... why firstly the need to fork out $$ to hold this competition 2nd if you pay $98 for this and then get a goodie bag worth $200 its like they are throwing $ away....

The Goodie bag contain ??? Later it is some unknown brand and doesn't help the photographers in thier photography wow i smell something fishy oh + its said NTUC was its partner i went NTUC web and didn't find any photography competition o.0

Then also may i ask why is the gap of the first prize so big compare with a 2nd placing of 1k each its almost like a no brainer.....

Julian, you're a pro photographer right? It's stated on your website that you've worked for animal planet, Asian Geo, etc...

Please tell me, will you allow them to use your image for, let's say, $1000 or $100?

$98 to buy a bottle of glenlivet to take a photo of and submit with original raw files and 8R prints. :think:

too bad i don't drink single malt. i don't mind buying a bottle of glenlivet. :D

btw great idea to push alcohol sales and get free publicity at the same time. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Was wondering what would be in the 'goodie' bag. Hmmm after some thought, a bottle of Glenlivet would probable cost ~$98. So more likely a bottle of 12yrs Glenlivet + some vouchers to NTUC chalet maybe. :think: Scarely worst... part of the $98 is for entrance cover charge for DXO. :sweat:

*ignore me... just joining the fun in speculating what's in the 'goodie' bag for a photo competition.

Last edited:
Usually I won't join if I don't like the t&c.. but for Julian, thanks for organizing this. :thumbsup:
Good effort and really appreciate it. :D

$98 to buy a bottle of glenlivet to take a photo of and submit with original raw files and 8R prints. :think:

too bad i don't drink single malt. i don't mind buying a bottle of glenlivet. :D

btw great idea to push alcohol sales and get free publicity at the same time. :thumbsup:
Oh ya... remind me of single malt... wait till you try drinking single malt, Laphoraig. :bsmilie:

Oh ya... remind me of single malt... wait till you try drinking single malt, Laphoraig. :bsmilie:

actually just realised i tried glenlivet before at an event. quite nice but it is just gonna end up on my cabinet if i join.

definitely will have 1 bottle in the goodie bag cos it is stated in the rules of the contest. whether it is worth $98 or not is another issue though. :sweat:

You made it sound like every participant is getting $12k.....

i do drink quite a bit (hic) and over the years been to quite a few Pernod (Glenlivet) events ..... I do have to say that they always put on extremely good shows with the vertical tastings, food, models and freebies ..... I am just guessing that their goodies bag will be of similar standards in line with the image they are cultivating amongst single malt connisseurs here

The rules of the competition........ THAT is a different issue altogether..... lets not confuse or mix the goodies bag value/quality (I dont think Pernod deserves this) and rules as related..... they should not

ed

p/s I am more a Belvenie, Highland Park and Auchentoshan guy..... Glenlivet is actually quite an excellent single malt for those who enjoy dark fruit flavors from the Speys

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.