The Gift of Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeguy

Jan 19, 2002
Jurong, S'pore
www.flickr.com
DSC_8174_2.jpg

This may seem like just another shot to most people but you could take a closer look before reading my quick explanation below.

To begin with, I'm sure many of you would have seen Michelangelo's "The Creation of Adam". I'm not saying this photo is comparable to it in any way, but in the painting, God breathed life into Adam when they made contact. In some ways, the parallel is drawn in the photo as well, when life is handed to the elephant in the form of food.

Also, everyone knows that the size of an elephant would probably dwarf that of a child. However, the child in this photo is certainly standing much higher than the elephant. This corresponds the belief that most humans possess - that they are superior to other animals which inhabit our world.

Lastly, even if I hadn't mentioned that the subjects were an elephant and a child, you could have easily guess it as well, by just looking at parts of their bodies.

You may or may not agree with my explanation but this is how I felt when I looked at it myself. Cheers!

As for the technical aspects of this shot. I must say that it is suffering from a little motion blur since the trunk was really moving too fast to totally freeze it. Too bad I don't have a fast telephoto with me.

I always hold the view that if you have to explain your picture, then it is already not working.

If you wanted to convey the notion of human "superiority" over animals, that even the largest land beast is subordinate to a child, then this is not the most effective image. But that notion is an interesting idea, certainly most suitable for an image.

But for this picture, it looked more like you trying to make a story of a photo you had taken with some other, if any, intentions. :)

i think you are pushing it a bit too far and over-glorifying the photo by saying a banana from a child is giving life to the elephant. seriously, the elephant will still be there with or without this particular banana. that is not giving life. that is just giving tidbits.

post-rationalization does not work for me and grandiose theories to an otherwise soft photo just make it look even more contrived.

Perhaps if you put Michaelangelos Creation of Adam up beside your pic it would explain your intent better. A(nother) picture is worth a thousand words. ;)

But I like it. Well composed and keeps the viewer wondering about what's "outside" the pic. Well done! :)

"a picture is worth a thousand words" so if you have to write a thousand words to explain a picture, its worthless.

your ideas and the picture aren't complimentary as well. if you wish to display comparison, step back. if you wish to show superiority of human over any other species, think of another composition.

thanks.

DSC_8174_2.jpg

Also, everyone knows that the size of an elephant would probably dwarf that of a child. However, the child in this photo is certainly standing much higher than the elephant. This corresponds the belief that most humans possess - that they are superior to other animals which inhabit our world.

Perhaps big game photography will humble your views.

Gift of life. I think I can see why you wan to name it tat way. It would be better to include the subjects' faces, if possible.

By showing or placing the child's hand on the upper right and the trunk on the lower left. Could this be wat you are trying to convey to others on the same notion?? Please correct me if I m wrong. The banana is a rather distracting item in there. Without the banana would be better perhaps? Keep improving~~~ :)

overall... i think if i may rephrase it in a more tactful way, if the picture is sharp, i think there is at least a 25% chance it may be accepted. Slammers buzz off*...

This type of blur only adds to the inadequacy of the photographer, a picture with simple subjects like these, and a motion that must be clearly defined, ought to be sharp and thats it...

good effort. i like the background and would prefer a tad sharper.

The explanation does not warrant a poor photograph. This photograph is inadequate simply because the composition isn't good as well as it being OOF.

Note BBC Wildlife Photo competition photos. Although the winning photos are strong, the explanations are short, to the point, and just say
- what time you took the photo,
- why this subject was chosen
- any special techniques used

I would agree with the other csers above that making a comparison between the girl and the elephant would make a greater impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.