The Food Photographer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereobox

Dec 21, 2003
Cocteau Twins
watch this video clip featuring this food photographer and how he work to get great food pictures

link

should call him the "ah siao " photographer :bsmilie:

isn't the same one posted a few days back? i cannot understand what so funny about it. catch no ball

oops...paiseh, i forgot to search whether this has been posted before i attached the link =P

i don't think it will be as funny if i try to explain it, especially for those who didn't get it the first time around, but here goes anyway

Sjan (obviously a fake) is a food "photographer" who perhaps has illusions of grandeur of being a high-end fashion photographer. "it looks so good, because I make it look good!!" he is egoistic, diva-like and shows the scantiest respect for his assistants ("i don't know their real names... i don't care!") :bsmilie:

the video is shot in spoofy,MTV reality tv-style. Sjan takes us through the process of shooting his latest project for "one of the industry's big 3" - Ihop (www.ihop.com) lol

he employs over-the-top, unconventional techniques for shooting food, to say the least. food photographers might recall the familiar sight of food stylists hunching over and preparing the food for the shot. in Sjan's case....he employs some mystical mumbojumbo pseudo-spiritual philosophical bullsh*t about using rosewater as he believes "even inanimate objects have souls" :bsmilie: he shouts at food and jumps towards the food to produce 'dynamic' images (the pictures of the green apple pancake, donut and sushi are simply hilarious :bsmilie: )

he shows us his 'portfolio' (kids corner section of the menu lol!!!) the part which got me was when Sjan claps his hands ("turn!") and his assistant obediently turn the pages of the portfolio =P

oh..the assistant mentioned what sets Sjan apart from other photographers..is that after every shoot, they relax by having roller-disco (wtf?? hahaha!)

towards the end of the show, he self-reflects on the scourge of 'non-union' japanese and korean food photographers and how he lack in the skill of shooting sushi. "i don't know how to light rice and seaweed correctly" :bsmilie: (just look at those funny shots of the sushi man lol)

like any self-respecting artist would do, he spends his days nowadays sleeping and hoping to get out of 'depression'

(did anyone notice Sjan's self portrait with a plastic LOMO camera? :bsmilie: )

crappy and cheesy spoof aside (i don't know if they are making any references to any specific photographers or they made it up) but it's just dam funny to me

Status
Not open for further replies.