The Fallen Empire....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killer_Jay

Jul 5, 2006
Pasir Ris
Hello,

Was at Matilta House yesterday and it was a very cloudy Saturday. Found this angle quite interesting and took it with different setting to get the details of the pillar without blowing the Sun.

The tilt of the pillar was intentional. No flash was used. ZERO PP, just resize.

IMG_1230_copy.jpg

Shutter Speed : 1/2000 Sec
Apperture: F/ 5
ISO Setting : 200
Exposure : Aperture Priority
Focal Length : 39mm

Canon EOS 350D
Lens : Canon 17-55mm Kit Lens

Area wished to be critique in: Concept, Composition, Exposure & Title

Thank you very much in advance.

Jay the C&C Seeker

Hello,

Was at Matilta House yesterday and it was a very cloudy Saturday. Found this angle quite interesting and took it with different setting to get the details of the pillar without blowing the Sun.

The tilt of the pillar was intentional. No flash was used. ZERO PP, just resize.

Shutter Speed : 1/2000 Sec
Apperture: F/ 5
ISO Setting : 200
Exposure : Aperture Priority
Focal Length : 39mm

Area wished to be critique in: Concept, Composition, Exposure & Title

Thank you very much in advance.

Jay the C&C Seeker
how do you say it; the picture lacks punch

in total isolation of subject, where there is no interaction with anything else whatsoever, the message has to be very clear; here i perceive no message. it is simply a snap of a pillar with slight tilt

one more thing - tilt-wise.. if you must tilt, go all the way, don't do it slightly. this may sound ridiculous, but it's true. unless you tell people that it was intentional, like it or not, the tilt will look like a mistake. as compared to tilting all the way, unless you are blind you won't have done such a thing

not sure if you're trying at this concept called "minimalism", but here are some reference examples of good minimalism from flickr that i dug up:

branch
a hole
pillar
contours
tree
chair against wall

cheers, and keep shooting :)

in total isolation of subject, where there is no interaction with anything else whatsoever, the message has to be very clear; here i perceive no message. it is simply a snap of a pillar with slight tilt

one more thing - tilt-wise.. if you must tilt, go all the way, don't do it slightly. this may sound ridiculous, but it's true. unless you tell people that it was intentional, like it or not, the tilt will look like a mistake. as compared to tilting all the way, unless you are blind you won't have done such a thing

not sure if you're trying at this concept called "minimalism", but here are some reference examples of good minimalism from flickr that i dug up:

branch
a hole
pillar
contours
tree
chair against wall

cheers, and keep shooting :)

boss,

thanks for the comments.

hahahahah. i din know there is such concept called "minimalism".

for me, i was just trying out different angle or different perspective cos there are too many Matilta House liao (sorry if anyone offended by this).

it was really purely trying out will i be able to get a clear detailed pillar without over-exposing AND without PP.

but if i just take a straight pillar, it really will be too isolated. so was trying to give the "Leaning Tower of Pisa" kind of feel. will take note of tilting in future. :D

thank you.

jay the learner

thats exactly what i see! the pole is cracked and looks old but the sun isnt quite shining throught the mist/fog of the clouds and looks like a bad day
i think thats what you were trying to portray the lack of happiness and show the dullness of the day and uve done that well
this is just my personnel response
good work

Status
Not open for further replies.