The entire Shears Bridge lined up with people,

Status
Not open for further replies.
not too sure, but the wiggly thingy: could it be due to the fireworks kanna blown by the wind ? just my guess......

me and my group felt that the bridge was too shaky for comfort and went down to the area beside the river instead...great view, but most of us had to change our cameras to vertical format before we could capture the fireworks...

Bridge sight was scary..especially the video camera...saw one or two 1D Mark IIs, many D70(s), 350D, 20D, P&S, handphone and lotsa tripods..

Jemapela said:
I hope you were just kidding because it's not really true (quite nonsensical). No offence.

I was on the bridge with hundreds of other that year, just as you (or others) were recently. It still trembles/vibrates when a bus or lorry drives pass.
Of cuz i was joking! lol :D

Wai said:
great...stay away from the bridge so that i will have more space there :D

seriously, the vibration is negligible and wont affect the firework picture in anyway. With ultra wide angle lens, the image will still be sharp even if u just handheld.

Remember firework itself are not stationary object, so u cannot conclude base on that lar.

Try shooting the buildings from the bridge with long exposure and tripod, and then take a look at it at 100% to see if the image is blur or not

What you said is also quite valid. With a ultra wide angle lens (or maybe even with 28mm), it's still possible not to easily see the effects of the bridge shake. However, your shutter and mirror could still cause some shake.

With a firm and compacted stance, I have handheld about 1/4s to about 1s to shoot fireworks (as a last resort due to lack of space to use a tripod) using a wideangle lens. It's possible to get fairly sharp images, but it's physically uncomfortable doing it. I was using controlled breathing techniques (learnt from competitive rifle shooting I did long ago) to handhold the camera as still as possible.

Anyway, what I want to say is, while the view/angle from the bridge is good, I wouldn't say that the (bridge) ground is as good.

Just shoot what u like ... here ,there .. anywhere ... happy can liao....

win aslo got no prize ...

Jemapela said:
Anyway, what I want to say is, while the view/angle from the bridge is good, I wouldn't say that the (bridge) ground is as good.

depends if you want to compromise, but I would rather have a nice, smoke-free CBD skyline as a background. After resize and USM, i doubt you will be able to see any effect of the vibrating bridge

Why did you guys park your cars before walking up?

Are there people taking shots under the bridge? I mean beside the Singapore River.

Wai said:
seriously, the vibration is negligible and wont affect the firework picture in anyway. With ultra wide angle lens, the image will still be sharp even if u just handheld.

Try shooting the buildings from the bridge with long exposure and tripod, and then take a look at it at 100% to see if the image is blur or not

That's right. I did a shoot with a LF some time back for a client. Guess what? the shot is blown up to 4X10 feet ( after cropping ) and it is still sharp. There's no ps done on it as I'm shooting on 4X5 slides. It's still in my client's office at the reception. If you find your shots are not sharp/shakey, the issue may very well be your tripot or your control of the camera.

Wai said:
great...stay away from the bridge so that i will have more space there :D

:vhappy: then i can really get onto the bridge for fireworks the next time round, yay!!!

so many ppl .. plus so many cars stop on top .. so many camera ..

The bridge might not tahan ? hmm ....

Sandman77 said:
so many ppl .. plus so many cars stop on top .. so many camera ..

The bridge might not tahan ? hmm ....
Should be able to support la...anyway this years is 40th Singapore birthday.......

the wirggle lines are probably due to filmsy tripod.

i tried shooting firework last year using D70,silk U6600 tripod and no remote,guess what,firework all wiggle lines.:bsmilie:

glennboi said:
Jemapela, based in your experience, what is the good place to have those shots? I was there last Sat but we are in the wrong place.

cheers,

As best as I could remember, I was only on that bridge once during that particular year when NDP was held at the Padang. I don't recall going on another year when it was held at the Padang again. Hence, I can't strongly recommend a better location.

However, it is not difficult to guess that a window/balcony in 1 of the tall buildings (above tree tops) could be a good spot. You could try the open grassland called Marina Promenade (not sure if that's the right name or if it's still there). I'm sorry but I don't have an exact location to suggest.

Like most other shoots, events or location portraits, it's actually essential homework for photographers to find themselves a good spot. You have to find it with some good old fashion leg-work.

zaxh81 said:
the wirggle lines are probably due to filmsy tripod.

i tried shooting firework last year using D70,silk U6600 tripod and no remote,guess what,firework all wiggle lines.:bsmilie:

I won't be uptight, egoistic or a smart-alec to say that you're surely wrong. Yes, who knows what a flimsy tripod could cause.

Strange though, I would say that wiggly lines were the result of your shivering hands placed on the tripod-mounted camera? Or was your tripod shivering? :confused:

+evenstar said:
me and my group felt that the bridge was too shaky for comfort and went down to the area beside the river instead...great view, but most of us had to change our cameras to vertical format before we could capture the fireworks....

:sweat:

since there will be 4 fireworks in next 2 weeks, u all should really try shooting on the bridge and on the ground, and compare your pic to see if the vibration will make any different.

i mean compare the picture, not just based on your feeling :sweat:

Maybe can get a room at the Oriental Hotel? The view from the rooms (facing the Fullerton Hotel) would be nice.

how to get to the bridge if got no car? Any bus stops around there?

is it also good location to shoot from the marina bay (alongside marina square)?

Just for the fun of it :
dscf12494wt1.jpg

Oh, and be careful with your tripod... :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.