The End of DSLR

A7 series still a long way to catch up la. Plus if they going for different mount, sure an adapter there to support the default lenses. DSLR only problem is weight but the toughness, I says it's solid. Dropped my A850 twice, still ok. Heh heh!

All good things must end so it will eventually come no doubt. But I think the author spoke too soon.

A7 series still a long way to catch up la. Plus if they going for different mount, sure an adapter there to support the default lenses. DSLR only problem is weight but the toughness, I says it's solid. Dropped my A850 twice, still ok. Heh heh!

Whether it signals the end of DSLR, I'm not too sure. But it's a beginning of something new.

I beg to differ if it's Sony that needs to catch up when it comes to mirror-less ILC tech. Just think who is Sony competing in the ILC space, not the big two.

I say the big two are the ones that needs to catch up if mirrorless bodies becomes the future. I've seen review sites comparing a Nikon D4s vs Sony A7s which I believe is an unfair comparison.

What the 3 types of FF Mirrorless camera Sony has roll out is just the start.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong; DSLR's weaknesses are weight and dimension. But if you attach 70-200s on full frame mirror-less like A7, it's not that small either.

The picture in Gizmodo website shows Sonar 35/2.8 prime attached to the A7. Try this:

6a00d8341c048f53ef019b013035a1970c-500wi

Admittedly the difference is quite there if you attach 24-70s.

6a00d8341c048f53ef019b01311782970b-500wi

I guess the sweet spot is on crop mirror-less like A6000, EOS-M, etc; which are truly smaller in both dimension & weight. Also, don't forget that compact / point & shoot cameras are really catching up.

It's inevitable but it's up to consumers to embrace them. For me when I am on to something
where it suits me that it's a no brainer for me.

The future of DSLR is not mirrorless.

It's cameraless.

We don't have any excuse for turning up in a XMM photoshoot anymore. Because we carry nothing except a bottle of water for our dry mouths. :bsmilie:

130505-china-xinjiang-3131.jpg

the future of photography is a camera
tapping data off our optical nerves (stereoscopic )
running off power from sugar in our bloodstream.

it'll get information out by sending it to (or being part of) a smart phone type of device also embedded in us and running off blood sugar.

when that happens please don't forget I predicted it. hopefully I'll have enough lives left to see it

Correct me if I'm wrong; DSLR's weaknesses are weight and dimension. But if you attach 70-200s on full frame mirror-less like A7, it's not that small either.

The picture in Gizmodo website shows Sonar 35/2.8 prime attached to the A7. Try this:

6a00d8341c048f53ef019b013035a1970c-500wi

Admittedly the difference is quite there if you attach 24-70s.

6a00d8341c048f53ef019b01311782970b-500wi

I guess the sweet spot is on crop mirror-less like A6000, EOS-M, etc; which are truly smaller in both dimension & weight. Also, don't forget that compact / point & shoot cameras are really catching up.
Unfortunately it seems like Canon either gave up with the EOS M or are not sure what to do with it. Till date, there are only 3 lenses made for it (22mm, 18-55mm, 11-22), and one coming up (55-200), but the 11-22 isn't even sold in the US. If you use any EF or EF-S zooms on it, the whole setup becomes bulky again.

I think m4/3 or APS-C mirrorless is the way to go - hell, maybe even the Nikon 1 system. The main advantage of a mirrorless system is the size and weight, but if your lenses are still heavy and bulky, then that advantage quickly goes away.

Unfortunately it seems like Canon either gave up with the EOS M or are not sure what to do with it. Till date, there are only 3 lenses made for it (22mm, 18-55mm, 11-22), and one coming up (55-200), but the 11-22 isn't even sold in the US. If you use any EF or EF-S zooms on it, the whole setup becomes bulky again.

I think m4/3 or APS-C mirrorless is the way to go - hell, maybe even the Nikon 1 system. The main advantage of a mirrorless system is the size and weight, but if your lenses are still heavy and bulky, then that advantage quickly goes away.

Haha EOS-M is just an example lah, since we were talking about weight and dimension (putting other factors such as development roadmap, sensor, af performance aside).

In the end, you cannot cheat physics...

FF 70-200/2.8 will always be that big. There is reason why zooms for the A7 series are all F4...

I agree with casual users on the move to mirrorless etc... but in the end, the professional industry will still use the big stuff.

i bring dslr to safra swimming pool hip my children siong, lifeguard say cannot use big camera because camera too big, make people uncomfortable
on another day, i ask my wife to hip siong using dslr, nobody comprain
one guy use small camera in pool hip siong, also nobody comprain
:dunno: :bsmilie:

.. and F4 70-200s are not that small either :)

Agree.. can't cheat physics. I guess those who demand full FF sensor performance in smaller body will only switch after.. well after smaller sensors can match FF sensor performance. Other than that, it's all compromises - just like other things in life.

But even if smaller sensors can reach FF performance.. dang I love my vintage 35mm f/2 lens to stay as a true 35mm.. how to do this on smaller sensors :bsmilie:

FF 70-200/2.8 will always be that big. There is reason why zooms for the A7 series are all F4...

I agree with casual users on the move to mirrorless etc... but in the end, the professional industry will still use the big stuff.

You're lucky, your wife can carry the dSLR for a while, at least to get away from the lifeguard's attention.

Imagine those single men without wife/kids/gf.. who to carry? :bsmilie:

i bring dslr to safra swimming pool hip my children siong, lifeguard say cannot use big camera because camera too big, make people uncomfortable
on another day, i ask my wife to hip siong using dslr, nobody comprain
one guy use small camera in pool hip siong, also nobody comprain
:dunno: :bsmilie:

Yup, cannot cheat physics. I've looked at mirrorless systems and it seems like the really small setups involve primes. Zooms are still pretty big compared to their counterparts in the "traditional DSLR" systems, with some exceptions here and there.