The End of DSLR

All good things must end so it will eventually come no doubt. But I think the author spoke too soon.

Agreed.

And hell, my SLR still alive.. don't talk bout DSLR... lol

the future of photography is a camera
tapping data off our optical nerves (stereoscopic )
running off power from sugar in our bloodstream.

it'll get information out by sending it to (or being part of) a smart phone type of device also embedded in us and running off blood sugar.

Good that would help with my diabetes of controlling too much sugar. I could shoot all day.

Yup, cannot cheat physics. I've looked at mirrorless systems and it seems like the really small setups involve primes. Zooms are still pretty big compared to their counterparts in the "traditional DSLR" systems, with some exceptions here and there.

That day will only come when science can make a sensor that is many times more sensitive to light. It is not just about the glass and how much glass is need to make a zoom work thru a length of range. But you presently need large glass elements and big lens body because not enough light gets to the sensor as it gets bend and contorted along the way. Imagine a sensor that let you get much light into your camera at ISO 1,000,000 but the setting is equal to the quality of ISO 50 or 100. Think that day will come and then you find we might be using pro camera the size of a small mirrorless.

But for now I would gladly carry around my heavy glass and not worry too much about them going out of style or relevance in the present day.

But I am also sure that would be the day the camera gear boast-cocks will moan that time as not being seen with their big guns strutting their stuff in public. All they will have is a tiny gear wonder and a huge ladder walking about. heheheh

Sony size/weight is good on certain people and area. But if the big two going to beat sony, it's easy as sony weakness is A mount lens (for FF), which are on the better side, don't have stabilizer! Those big two lenses got on some, Sony now opening a door for them! Once the big two catch up, Sony going to have some headache. That's why I only purchase the 24-70 e-mount while use an adapter for my A mount.

I feels that DSLR still got their strong point, like battery life, toughness etc. Just like slr n DSLR, some still prefer slr. Even the shape also want to be like a slr (FF) nowadays, heh heh!

ps : heavy is bad for DSLR but on the bright side, good for fat people as can use it as training during trips, heh heh!

Last edited:
i am now so confuse...sony comes out with too many stuff already...

I got what I needed. Next, super tele for wild life trip. Esp Africa and north area. Heh heh!

With the end of DSLR there'll be the end of photo forums.

What will we be talking about? :)

Maybe in 50 years time then this will be happening. I mostly dont know what other be talking as I also might not be around liao. Ha ha!

The ways our scientists are looking at our universe, our lens should one day match them but smaller and cheaper. Then camera body is just an accessory, maybe?

smartphones is the in thing now

There are enough conservative hold outs that a prepared to spend big bucks that the DSLR will always be around.
But for most people, the extra size required by the mirror and prism mech is just wasted space. I see many DSLR users these days, now that most models have live view, are not using the view finders any more, yet they are lugging around that mirror mech and a prism.

I love my mirror less. It's the camera I always wanted - interchangeable lenses, flexibility, but with out the 'excess baggage' of a mirror and prism. Yes the EVF lags slightly, but i'm now used to it, but that is more than made up for I see exactly what the sensor sees.

I recently got some budget to buy some camera and lenses. I thought I would get a canon FF 6D or 5D M3 with 2 prime zooms for work (thinking that image quality will be superior cos it's FF) and a smaller camera for personal use. So i did some research and came across the FUji x systems. There are great reviews on the net and the pictures look great. So i went to the shops to take a look and handle it. I also compared it to the olympus OM D EM1. After handling both, I have no doubt about getting the Fuji x-T1 and also forgotten about having the Canon system.

This might well be my logical upgrade after my D4 retires and I can then migrate my trinity and other lens to future of the mirrorless ... Might well be Sony or the likes of it that has all this features and more if Nikon don't learn this lesson....heh... http://youtu.be/7wM_5nROeaw

Also to see how far the tech has come to a consumer mirrorless (or any brand/camera for that matter) that can shoot video in such low light among other stuff present available. Case in point is this new A7s Sony http://youtu.be/a1W-bPyYR0k

Future looks bright.,,, literally.

Last edited:
I give the DSLRs 5 at the most 10 years as a 'main stream' product. The only people using them will be pros (and then only in specific situations) and the 'wanabe' pros.
Canon/Nikon will have one or two high end DSLRs in their line up for the pro market, but most of their line will also be mirrorless. Every other DSLR maker will probably have ceased all R&D on SLR geometry bodies and dropped them from their product lines.

The trick will be for the 'big boys' to go mirrorless but also make it easy to use their extensive line of existing lenses on the new platform. Really it's the lenses that make a system, not the body. Bodies come and go. Good glass endures.

I give the DSLRs 5 at the most 10 years as a 'main stream' product. The only people using them will be pros (and then only in specific situations) and the 'wanabe' pros.
Canon/Nikon will have one or two high end DSLRs in their line up for the pro market, but most of their line will also be mirrorless. Every other DSLR maker will probably have ceased all R&D on SLR geometry bodies and dropped them from their product lines.

The trick will be for the 'big boys' to go mirrorless but also make it easy to use their extensive line of existing lenses on the new platform. Really it's the lenses that make a system, not the body. Bodies come and go. Good glass endures.

Photography equipment like dslr are.meant for working pros actually. They will still be mainstream for professional work. Which means they will still be around in 5 years.

Some folks i remember have said the same thing 5 years ago... look at where we are now...

In the end, what is each definition of "mainstream". If we are talking about the consumer market, yes mirrorless has come a long way. But they are in no way a complete replacement for dslr or medium format. Because the professional market still needs them.

Last edited: