The Emotionless Cat

portunderground

Jan 27, 2012
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Composition, color, framing

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Cats, are very non-chalant. So i hoped that this picture shows its nonchalant outlook.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken at a void deck while i was walking around. This cat was very friendly. I played with it and it just remained on the floor. Good photo op to get a close up of this cat. Used a 50mm 1.8 with a Canon 20D. It was overcast so the pic has that overcast sky look.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I feel that the picture is too tight? And probably unbalanced with the right side of the picture relatively empty. The only part of the cat that is focus is the face, not even the head and I felt that the face conveys this whole notion that a cat is nonchalant and does not care about anything. However, part of the head is cut off in the pic and I think it would be better if it had been in the pic.

Thanks! Any C&C appreciated!

IMG_4175.jpg

Hi... I think the pic will look much nicer if the cat's whiskers are in focus.
btw, I think the cat is showing the emotion of boredom ;)

I feel the photo is cropped too tightly. Maybe you could take a step back and frame the cat's head closer to the right and follow the rule of thirds. I think a smaller aperture would be better as the eyes don't seem to be clearly in focus. Overall, I like the warm tones and I can get a sense of the cat's nonchalantness.