The Economics of Online Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaam

Aug 29, 2004
West
naturespies.blogspot.com
http://blogs.oreilly.com/lightroom/2008/01/the-economics-of-online-backup.html

In the comments to my previous posts about storing a photo library, quite a few people have mentioned using an online backup solution like Amazon S3 or Mozy. I've looked into this many times and keep running the two sets of numbers that matter. The first of these is how much the storage costs in dollars. The second is how much it costs in bandwidth.

Note: For me, when I run these numbers, I use a 1TB photo library as a working size. It's a both the size of my current library and a nice round number. Your library is, of course, a different size. I know many of you have smaller libraries. Some have larger. The point I'm going to make is the thought process you need to look at when considering online storage. My own solutions fit my needs, other solutions will probably fit yours. With all that said, let's dive in.

Don't.

If you sit down and think carefully about it, it does not make any sense. They are just happy to take your money...and continue taking.

Just backup on another terrabyte external hard disk.

Companies that "guarantee" you something in exchange for your money mean what they say... IF the company still exists after some time.

I heard the big companies back up on pro-level tapes for huge storage.

hmm but having access to your photos with net access sounds good..

What are the possibilities that some photos leak out and some get stolen?

hmm but having access to your photos with net access sounds good..

Can always set up your device as a FTP server.

I use a Western Digital 1 TB external HD which supports RAID 0 and 1

Can always set up your device as a FTP server.

I use a Western Digital 1 TB external HD which supports RAID 0 and 1

FTP not secure sftp better.

but its easy to setup for home network. but have not tried to redirect the network traffic from outside through my router.

are there ports that starhub blocks to prevent ppl to make ur home server?

CHeck out this free service - www.mediamax.com [speed a bit slow somethings but hey it is free]
Or if u are open to pay a bit - fotki.com is not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.