The Eclipse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Foo

Sep 4, 2011
Singapore
DSC_3213-01.JPG

The ArtScience Museum at Marina Bay Sands, Singapore

> 1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Seeking comments on composition, framing, angle and colours.

> 2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
An alternate view of the ArtScience Museum, the visual tension of its petals rising to "eclipse" the MBS towers, "touching" the Sands Skypark.

> 3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was on the Singapore Ducktour with my family. It was sunset period but was not what I wished for as sky was marred by a haze in the air. As the amphibious boat that we are sitting in passed by, I recalled having roughly 45-60 seconds at this view, and so, I quickly snapped a few pictures within the crowded, fully occupied confines of the ducktour boat. As the boat was moving, it continously changed the angle as each shot was taken. This particular shot, is, to me, one of my favourite.

> 4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I saw the ArtScience Museum from an alternate anlgle which I was not normally able to see when on land, one of its higher "petal" seemed to rise towards the Sands Skypark, slowly eclipsing the MBS towers as the boat continued on its route, changing the angle of view. I was also pleased with the tower's glass windows reflecting the sunset, but each tower's windows seemed to show a different hue of the reflected rays. I post edited it using GIMP (I don't have Photoshop at the time) played with the curves and increased the saturation.

Personally I think the composition is too messy. I understand what you are trying to do with the petals eclipsing the towers, and I think that's a pretty good idea, but it probably would have worked better with a shallower DOF.

I think when it comes to shooting famous landmarks the treatment of the subject becomes key (rather than the subject itself). Agree with wangxu that the composition is a too cluttered and the crop is too tight. Seeing that the form of the buildings are quite well-known and recognisable, it might have been better to let the buildings be discrete, for a more 'unconventional' or 'alternative' view. For example how this photographer treated the eiffel tower: http://www.flickr.com/photos/anto13/5427870466/\ or Scott Kelby's treatment (which was a reflection of the tower in a tourist's sunglasses). This still gives you a shot of the museum/MBS without it being too expected or normal.

Perhaps if you have chance, revisit the site and try to find a better spot to reshoot. As mentioned, the picture is too tight and messy. Anyway, good attempt.

Thanks all for the honest-to-goodness critiques. It's all very, very valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.