The Dragon & the Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

drama

Dec 1, 2006
Ever wonder why they are called dragon flies?

Heres my take at answering the question :)

The Dragon
450701803_7707234471_b.jpg

DHave removed the other two shots in this series as per eikin's suggestion
Would love some C&C

looks like a helicopter .. nice silhouette BUT

1. too much distraction: the leafy silhouette does not complement the subject, the blur mess is more in harmony, being of the same shape and bulk. Patching away the leaft silhouette wont help. too much empty space then. So lesson here is: you need to work at your composition: change position, change angle and if dragon fly away, wait until it comes back and posed correctly again - all these are hard work ... but thats what it takes to make a picture.

2. why did u include all these other elements apart from the subject? I presume you didnt see them as distractions since you included them even as you were composing the picture. Maybe you want to share with us your compositional intent - if any - in including these elements.

Eikin :

The top leaf to me looked like a dragon's head to me, poetic license here :)
The Blurry mess is a combination of orange & greys, to me were meant to represent fire & smoke

I did take an isolated picture of the dragonfly, as a silhouette but that to me is hardly a story telling shot

I hope I have answered all your questions satisfactorily, thanks for the feedback :)

Hmm. All real flies have only two wings. I do not see an insect with two wings in the shot.

Nice silhouette! I like the orangy background and it gives one an impression that this is taken during a sunset...

However like what a fellow bro had mentioned, the framing can be improved :) otherwise a tight crop might do the job...

great attempt though, it inspires me to mimic your shot, someday :thumbsup:

Eikin :

The top leaf to me looked like a dragon's head to me, poetic license here :)
The Blurry mess is a combination of orange & greys, to me were meant to represent fire & smoke

I did take an isolated picture of the dragonfly, as a silhouette but that to me is hardly a story telling shot

I hope I have answered all your questions satisfactorily, thanks for the feedback :)

hmmzz... think ekin makes sense here. maybe u can tell us more abt the pic? like why u shot it this way, and wat each element in ur pic represents? that might give us a clearer view, rather than to leave it to our own interpretation, which might be totally different than ur intended idea;)

dejected & nysheng
thanks for the feedback & glad you like it :)
The dragon fly was silhouetted against the sunset
The leaves were the last on the plant, so I didnt want to break it off for the shot

Dragons are mythical & mystical, a clear background wouldnt work as a story telling shot for me

I did clean up the leaves & crop
Do you guys like this more?

453594043_06e3067f4e.jpg

ooh..u posted two pics in a week.. haha.. wonder if ekin will remove this:eek:
haha. anyway, yeah..this looks better..though i wonder wat's the dark patch on the right-center.
would it be better if it was a clearer bg wif juz the sunset?

Status
Not open for further replies.