The Departed won Best Picture??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansel

Apr 30, 2003
Land Downunder
Visit site
Just read that The Departed has won the best Picture award at the Oscars:

LOS ANGELES - The mob saga "The Departed" won the best-picture Academy Award on Sunday, a triumph for a homegrown American film in an evening that featured the most internationally diverse field of nominees in the history of Hollywood's highest honors.

Was the academy aware that this film was shameless copy of the HK made "Infernal Affairs" or Wu Jian Dao in chinese?? What did the reporter mean when he/she wrote that it was a triumph for a "homegrown American film"??

Heh boy the writer quite duh.

Yeap it did win Best Picture. Was just glad that Scorsese won Best Director, even though I prefered Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.

Just read that The Departed has won the best Picture award at the Oscars:

LOS ANGELES - The mob saga "The Departed" won the best-picture Academy Award on Sunday, a triumph for a homegrown American film in an evening that featured the most internationally diverse field of nominees in the history of Hollywood's highest honors.

Was the academy aware that this film was shameless copy of the HK made "Infernal Affairs" or Wu Jian Dao in chinese?? What did the reporter mean when he/she wrote that it was a triumph for a "homegrown American film"??
You should be equally glad that the script that was bought by hollywood ended up with an Oscar. What made Inferno Affairs a great movie was the script. Btw, are you suggesting that hollywood leeched the script? Does using the scritp from anyother movie, or even a book, make it a lesser movie.

Btw, I did not like the movie Depart. Do I think it deserve the Oscar? Probably not, but it does not matter.

just refresh some memory... When the Ring was out in US (the english version) americans thought its their original idea... duh...

cool. nv knew that.

btw. Home Run by Jack Neo also original right?

yeah right.:bsmilie:

You should be equally glad that the script that was bought by hollywood ended up with an Oscar. What made Inferno Affairs a great movie was the script. Btw, are you suggesting that hollywood leeched the script? Does using the scritp from anyother movie, or even a book, make it a lesser movie.

Btw, I did not like the movie Depart. Do I think it deserve the Oscar? Probably not, but it does not matter.

Inferno affairs? ;)

I think it was probably the best film I saw last year and deserved the win. Very happy for MS to get his Oscar.

Pan's Labyrinth won 3 oscars so I'm hoping it will hit the screens again here as I missed it first time around.

I think it was probably the best film I saw last year and deserved the win. Very happy for MS to get his Oscar.

Pan's Labyrinth won 3 oscars so I'm hoping it will hit the screens again here as I missed it first time around.

Talking abt Pan's labyrinth, what's the movie about?

Fantasy or mystical genre ? Missed it too.

Talking abt Pan's labyrinth, what's the movie about?

Fantasy or mystical genre ? Missed it too.

It's set in the time of the Spanish Civil War and is the tale of a young girl and her experiences (both in the war and in her mythical and metaphorical labyrinth)

i thought the adapted script is rather crude, not much of a mind game for the viewers, with little space for imagination. maybe it was too ambitious a project trying to concentrate 3 movies worth of scripts into 1. the usual hollywood actions are all there, acting is good, but not deserving of winning the best picture imo. of the 3 movies i've seen amongst the nominees, i would prefer The Queen. haven't watched Babel, but judging from the reviews and general plot, i'm looking forward to watching that.

i thought the adapted script is rather crude, not much of a mind game for the viewers, with little space for imagination. maybe it was too ambitious a project trying to concentrate 3 movies worth of scripts into 1. the usual hollywood actions are all there, acting is good, but not deserving of winning the best picture imo. of the 3 movies i've seen amongst the nominees, i would prefer The Queen. haven't watched Babel, but judging from the reviews and general plot, i'm looking forward to watching that.

Babel was terrible, it tried to pull something like Crash and failed miserably.

Letters from Iwo Jima should have won. The Departed was draggy and disjointed.

I think the point he's trying to make is that Americans are very good at boasting their homemade stuff forgetting that the idea might initially come from somewhere else...

The movie is not necessarily a lesser one, but forgetting its origin and claiming it homegrown movie is quite typical from US...

They did this so many times with french movies/songs... Doesnt means that they are bad movies/songs though ... ;-)

Babel was terrible, it tried to pull something like Crash and failed miserably.

If you have seen Amores Perros by the same director (of Babel), you will realise that Crash was very similar to Amores Perros in terms of style, just a different theme. Alejandro González Iñárritu was just maintaining his style in Babel, it wasn't a rip off from Crash.

Little Miss Sunshine should have won Best Picture...

Alejandro's was deserving

Agreed.

The Departed definitely did not deserve to win, nor did Scorsese for Best Director. With that being said, the Oscars are a total farce anyway. Scorsese should have won years ago for Raging Bull or Goodfellas. Wasn't even nominated for Taxi Driver which was a joke. This was just a make up award.

They did the same thing for Lord of the Rings (the third one which I fell asleep in) but was more deserving for the first two. Did the same with Russell Crowe (for Gladiator when he should have won for The Insider).

I am not suggesting that hollywood leached the script, just that the premier award in the film-making industry is given to a movie that is a copy of another movie in another language. To adapt the story from another medium is a different story (pun intended), like adapting from a book. I know hollywood has done that many times, 7 samurai, 3 men and a baby, The Professional, The Ring etc, they are still good movies, but for the Best Picture award at the Oscars? I don't think so.

cool. nv knew that.

btw. Home Run by Jack Neo also original right?

yeah right.:bsmilie:

Home is Jack Neo's adaptation of an Iranian movie. It is a nice story to watch. I think the acting awards were deserved, but not those relating to the story, because it is not original.

During the Oscars they said that Infernal Affairs was from Japan. Sheesh...

Status
Not open for further replies.