The Degrading Photographic Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluorite

Mar 22, 2005
To think of it, Singapore's photographic market is quite screwed compared to USA.

Many of you have witnessed
1. People trying to offer photographic services way below market rate
2. Photographic competitions with dismal prizes (compared to other countries)
3. Photographic competitions that do not give photographers their copyrights for the image even though they didnt win and some even do not credit the photographers when using their images.

Take a stand from an unbiased view. I really think there is no right or wrong. But do you think this is right from your stand and your principles?

Do you think people's actions might just worsen the photographic market here?
Or do you think it is just "competition"?

What is happening here?

Feel free to post your opinions here.

No comments but just feel sad looking at the way it is now ... the standards are dropping as most people are just blindly copying works and with prices of DSLR dropping , any tom dick and harry can also purchase one and look like a photographer , think thats one of the reason .

sorry for those who feel offended if i am too straight .

ai pnee ai chnee, ai dua liap nee :rolleyes:

supply > demand

or may be most of the Singaporean still don't value artistic output very well like other 1st world country?

Or we are too stress to earn a living than putting effort to appreciate good photos. Just my personal opinion, please don't flame me.:sweat:

S11loop said:
with prices of DSLR dropping , any tom dick and harry can also purchase one and look like a photographer , think thats one of the reason

Do you mean you would hire anyone to shoot for you as long as he/she has a dSLR?:nono:

It's sad, fortunately it does not impact me at all, since I don't earn a penny from photography.

One observation, I see/meet more and more people, and I will not use the term photographer, who claimed that they can take pictures, and only becasue they are holding a dslr, really have no idea what they are doing. And half of this group of people, will claim that they are freelancing, and this is a very sad situation.

Maybe, the disregard of artistic excellence in Singapore further perpetuate the decline of photographic standards.

zcf said:
Or we are too stress to earn a living than putting effort to appreciate good photos. Just my personal opinion, please don't flame me.:sweat:
This might just be the reason why people are lowering their prices.

I don't know what does the PSS do. Could they be more capable in welding their bat and try to help the real photographers when not holding courses? Or does the PSS not do that kind of thing?

Fluorite said:
This might just be the reason why people are lowering their prices.
actually I dont think its ppl lowering their prices, but more people goin into photography as a career and increases competition, which ends up in a price war.

JediForce4ever said:
translate please:sweat:

I try... Want cheap, want fresh, want big ... something.

IMHO
I don't think the degrading is the sole responsibility of those inadequates who enter the market brandishing their gear while being unable to deliver. Even if that's the truth, there must be people willing to pay for their work in the first place. If people are willing to pay for services based on price and not quality, is it the fault of the deliverers who exploit it?

What about those the adequates who undercut the prices as well, as the quick and easy solution to compete?

What about those who exploit the next crop of photographers by seeking free services?

What about the budding ones who offer them?

If what everybody, pros, non-pros, wannabes alike, tries to beat competition by lowering prices, whose to be blamed? The suppliers or the market?

It's an entire culture we're talking about. Quality? Photography aside. As consumers, how many are willing and able to pay for quality today?

michhy said:
Do you mean you would hire anyone to shoot for you as long as he/she has a dSLR?:nono:
me ? lol u dont know me well ... i dont compromise on such things . So what if that guy is rich and has a 1dmk2 or a D2x but lack of talent and experience ?

:)

S11loop said:
me ? lol u dont know me well ... i dont compromise on such things . So what if that guy is rich and has a 1dmk2 or a D2x but lack of talent and experience ?

:)
then they shoot on 'Pro'-mode lor...:bsmilie:
but when hiring photographer, first thing is their portfolio..coz if they got lots of expericnce but they are satisfied with their lowly image quality also as bad...

Deadpoet said:
It's sad, fortunately it does not impact me at all, since I don't earn a penny from photography.

One observation, I see/meet more and more people, and I will not use the term photographer, who claimed that they can take pictures, and only becasue they are holding a dslr, really have no idea what they are doing. And half of this group of people, will claim that they are freelancing, and this is a very sad situation.

Maybe, the disregard of artistic excellence in Singapore further perpetuate the decline of photographic standards.
totally agree with u

it is because it is easy to post "No budget jobs" and many ppl will just jump on it.

this is sad, although i do not shoot for a living.

if the "cheap" photographers themselves do not look after their market they will only be getting a foothold into a "non market"

Deadpoet said:

Can't agree more on what you said.

In fact I did a test on some so called "photographers" in the market who consider themselves "Professional Freelance Photographer" Out of 10 I have met, 8 are quite desperate for wedding jobs. Their price? $500, includes a slot in album, 600 digital shots and return 300 x 4R prints and a Super 8R with frame.

I would not want to comment about the quality. A few friends of mine who just got their Actual Wedding Day photos (Paid between $500-$800), none of them can make it. There are plenty of so called "photographers" who shows their best work but at the end of the day, it was not even remotely close to what the couple saw their own photos. It just ruin their day.

Without any basic or proper training on basic understanding on lighting skills and exposures, many would panic on the actual wedding day. Event/Documentary photography is a specialized area in Photography. Those without prior or no experience should at least attend a basic fundamental photography skills in exposure and lighting techniques. Ruining the couple's day would just get yourself in more trouble and get yourself blacklisted.

Fluorite said:
1. People trying to offer photographic services way below market rate
2. Photographic competitions with dismal prizes (compared to other countries)
3. Photographic competitions that do not give photographers their copyrights for the image even though they didnt win and some even do not credit the photographers when using their images.

What is happening here?

Feel free to post your opinions here.

WRT to point (1): IMHO, price wars usually occur in the market where there is limited demand, and supply is greater than demand.

With digital photography becoming more affordable (in terms of equipment price), the barriers of entry to the market is lowered, hence, the market sees an influx of “photographers” – whether freelance/part-time/professional. In order to maintain their share of a shrinking market and survive, some photographers may have no choice but to lower their fees.

Another factor that is driving prices down is the fact that a large majority of people here do not really appreciate photography as an art form or profession yet. Hence, people are not willing to pay top-dollar for a service they see as being a “common skill”.

WRT to point (2): I’m not sure if “dismal prizes” is an accurate description. To a novice, the prizes may appear very attractive; but to a professional, it is just dismal. I think it depends on your point of view. However I do feel that most of these competitions are targeted at the novice, not the professionals.

WRT to point (3): I don’t think there’s really a clear right or wrong with regards to the copyright requirement. My view is that they do state this in their regulations, and since it is their competition, they are quite free to do what they like. If you do not like the rules, then don’t join.

In general, I think it's just another case of technology changing the way things are. There’s not much that can be done except to adapt and go with the flow.

:) just my 0.02

Well, it is the mindset of don't like don't join which leads to such terms being entrenched as the standard and in the end, everyone's doing it.

Hobbesyeo said:
WRT to point (3): I don’t think there’s really a clear right or wrong with regards to the copyright requirement. My view is that they do state this in their regulations, and since it is their competition, they are quite free to do what they like. If you do not like the rules, then don’t join.

Status
Not open for further replies.