The dead end...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickmak

Apr 16, 2004
London, UK
www.pbase.com
Actually I posted this picture on the wrong forum last time around... I'll put it here instead:

The dead end
33606133.jpg

Comments are more than welcome :)

Are you trying to bring out a lost arid feel with the burning sun on top..... tired and thirsty? I think it does work for me.

How did you make the sun looked like that?

chenchengcai said:
Are you trying to bring out a lost arid feel with the burning sun on top..... tired and thirsty? I think it does work for me.

How did you make the sun looked like that?
Yay! :cheergal: You got it correct!

For this I used my lens at f22 and used fill in flash for the sigh board. Took me an hour to get this one shot. :sweat:

Hello...
I like the exposure of the sun...
But wouldn't pointing ur camera directly at the sun damage the CCD?

philip827 said:
Hello...
Gasp! Would it?

But the thing was that there is a shutter protecting the CMOS on mine so I hope its ok. Also the exposure was 1/8000th of a second. Hope it doesn't do anything!

philip827 said:
Hello...

I am more worried his eye than the ccd... imagine the hot sun gone thru the magnifier before reaching his eye :nono:

sumball said:
I am more worried his eye than the ccd... imagine the hot sun gone thru the magnifier before reaching his eye :nono:
Yup... I got blinded for half a day after the shot... :(

Forgot about my eye when taking that.... But one thing I learnt was to look really quickly into the viewfinder and pull my eye out straight away, so that I can compose properly. When I took the shot I didn't look into the viewfinder though... :sweat:

nickmak said:
When I took the shot I didn't look into the viewfinder though... :sweat:

if so, u dun need ur mk II, swap with me. hahahaha

sumball said:
if so, u dun need ur mk II, swap with me. hahahaha
No lah... you know, look into the viewfinder quickly to compose and not get blinded? (Unfortunately even like that I was blinded!) :bsmilie:

I like it bro. Feels thirsty when looking at your pics. Excuse me... got to go and get me a drink. slurp!

jbma said:
I like it bro. Feels thirsty when looking at your pics. Excuse me... got to go and get me a drink. slurp!
Haha! :bsmilie: Thanks bro, I was trying to get that feeling across. In fact, when I was shooting it I was dying of thirst too! :bsmilie:

Oh by the way bro, I'm in Bangkok now... Just went today... Will come back soon to catch migrating birds with you though!

Cheers! :)

Let me know when you are back. Then we can arrange.

Hi, if i were doing this kinda shot, i would use an EVF.
The CCD sensor is my "eye", and it is blinded by the sun and not me.
So to those D/SLR users (who shoot the sun), maybe get a P&S with EVF (not enough for LCD or normal optical VF)

How do you think I managed to shoot the transit of venus in april this year?

And as to whether my P&S CCD is spoilt, i don't think so, even after shooting at the sun for so long, and i'm still using the P&S camera.

kfeng said:
Hi, if i were doing this kinda shot, i would use an EVF.
The CCD sensor is my "eye", and it is blinded by the sun and not me.
So to those D/SLR users (who shoot the sun), maybe get a P&S with EVF (not enough for LCD or normal optical VF)

How do you think I managed to shoot the transit of venus in april this year?

And as to whether my P&S CCD is spoilt, i don't think so, even after shooting at the sun for so long, and i'm still using the P&S camera.
Sorry lah brother, I can only have one camera to take with me... :p And that one camera is like my personal arm trainer already... with the lenses in my backpack, I've got a mobile gym... I don't want another camera.... YET... :)

The thing about shooting into the sun with a P&S is that I can hardly get that star-burst effect because the minimum aperture for most P&S is f8.0 so no choice...

Just something that I thought worth mentioning...

Remember those early Science experiments we used to do? Where the objective was to light a match with a magnifying glass? Remember how quickly we could get the match to light if we focused the little spot of light, just right?

Now, we all know that magnifying glasses are less than perfect, compared to our lenses and that they power of magnification is usually less than the lenses, especially the ultra zooms, et al.

Imagine, what would happen if that sort of intensity were to be magnified through your lens, onto your shutter, mirror, eyeball, etc...

But nice shot none the less, although I feel that there should be a little more separation between the sign and the sun. Also the sign should be shot a little more 'flat on' for more impact?

Pyre

Pyre of Fyre said:
Just something that I thought worth mentioning...

Remember those early Science experiments we used to do? Where the objective was to light a match with a magnifying glass? Remember how quickly we could get the match to light if we focused the little spot of light, just right?

Now, we all know that magnifying glasses are less than perfect, compared to our lenses and that they power of magnification is usually less than the lenses, especially the ultra zooms, et al.

Imagine, what would happen if that sort of intensity were to be magnified through your lens, onto your shutter, mirror, eyeball, etc...

But nice shot none the less, although I feel that there should be a little more separation between the sign and the sun. Also the sign should be shot a little more 'flat on' for more impact?

Pyre
Thanks for the advice, P of F, will take that in mind...

nickmak said:
Sorry lah brother, I can only have one camera to take with me... :p And that one camera is like my personal arm trainer already... with the lenses in my backpack, I've got a mobile gym... I don't want another camera.... YET... :)

The thing about shooting into the sun with a P&S is that I can hardly get that star-burst effect because the minimum aperture for most P&S is f8.0 so no choice...

ok, I have to admit, my P&S can only go up to F8.0 and 1/1000. And for shooting venus, I didn't want the starburst, so P&S was the my choice that time...

AReality said:
ever tried positioning the sun behind the sign?

definitely not with this sign isn't it? unless u want to bend the signposts or wait for the sun to come down?

Status
Not open for further replies.