The day a shop insulted my Canon 500D

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindfulness

Mar 20, 2008
Over the weekend, I was browsing at Lucky Plaza and took my Canon 500D with EFS 55-250mm with me. I enquired which next upgrade lens he would recommend. The shop guy said the Canon L lenses are too good for my Canon 500D. He said only when you have 5DMkII you can consider L lenses and added you are wasting money to put L lens on the 500D. He recommended the latest tamron18-270mm lens as the next upgrade.

I feel his view that that the Canon 500D is just not good enough for L lenses kind of too strong. Any opinions on this?

Last edited:
Over the weekend, I was browsing at Lucky Plaza and took my Canon 500D with EFS 55-250mm with me. I enquired which next upgrade lens he would recommend. The shop guy said the Canon L lenses are too good for my Canon 500D. He said only when you have 5DMkII you can consider L lenses. He recommended the latest tamron18-270mm lens as the next upgrade.

I feel his view that that the Canon 500D is just not good enough for L lenses. Any opinions on this?

:bsmilie::bsmilie: I think they shouldn't even sell cameras at all as they know nothing. Lucky Plaza is also famous for these kind of antics. Any Canon SLR with EF mount and DSLR can use Ls.

:bsmilie::bsmilie: I think they shouldn't even sell cameras at all as they know nothing. Lucky Plaza is also famous for these kind of antics. Any Canon SLR with EF mount and DSLR can use Ls.

His point was the L lenses being too heavy and my Canon 500D will feel unbalanced and its body is plastic, not up to standard :what:

hahah ... L lens existed LONG before 5D mkII ever existed ... does that mean that L Lens had no sale until it came out? hahaa.

once a lucky plaza chap tried to quote me 170 FOR a 50mm 1.8 ... what do you think haah..

i think that guy is being a coconut ah....

it's like i believe when the time comes to upgrade.....you can still reuse your lens.

His point was the L lenses being too heavy and my Canon 500D will feel unbalanced and its body is plastic, not up to standard :what:

I saw many of my friends using L lenses for 450D also.
It might be bit unbalanced but the battery grip will help to improve the handling.
Anyway, u should expect that kind of attitude when u visit Lucky plaza camera shop.

if i were u..i will flash my wallet and say:'really? ****....i wanted to order at least 5L lens . now that u mention it...maybe i won't buy. and what the hell is 5D2..i'm using a 1 Ds mk3. this 500D is my bro's..and i'm buying him a gift lens....you lousy shopkeeper..u can keep that tamron **** for your angmoh carrots'

L lenses are for anyone who owns a DSLRs, SLRs with EF lens mount or converters and with a deep pocket. They are not for sales man who knows nothing about camera except how to make a few measly pennies by spewing nonsense. :)

It's like buying a lambo or ferrari when you are still on probational license, some will say the car is too good for you.

At the end of the day, it's the one behind the camera or the wheel that matters.

I don't see anything wrong with using L lens with an entry level camera unless of course you are lugging around some 800L monster with a tiny body. The weight will be really unbalance.
:)

if i were u..i will flash my wallet and say:'really? ****....i wanted to order at least 5L lens . now that u mention it...maybe i won't buy. and what the hell is 5D2..i'm using a 1 Ds mk3. this 500D is my bro's..and i'm buying him a gift lens....you lousy shopkeeper..u can keep that tamron **** for your angmoh carrots'

:thumbsup: Well said haha!

Never liked lucky plaza!

haiz ... everyone, thanks for uplifting my spirit after kena insulted by that salesman who claimed he has more than 20 years experience. hehehe why dun brothers here with L lenses go down with your canon xxxD to his shop as he is so biased against L lenses?

Last edited:
IMO, the next upgrade from 55-250

1. 70-200, F4 or F2.8... depends budget
2. Tight budget, Sigma 50-150 F2.8 or Tokina 50-135 f2.8

IMO, the next upgrade from 55-250

1. 70-200, F4 or F2.8... depends budget
2. Tight budget, Sigma 50-150 F2.8 or Tokina 50-135 f2.8

thanks but the lenses you recommended are lesser in zoom effect, are they good enough for wildlife and nature photography?

That's rubbish. I've seen people using 400D without grip and couple it with a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and take stage events.

Shops can always make more selling third-party accessories. Not that Tamron isn't good, but the profit margin from L-Lenses are very low compared to the mark-up on third-party lens. He said that as a tactic to get you to buy the more profitable product. Dont feel insulted at all by him, I have always seen cases where photogs are using XXXD and XXD cams with 5 digit price tag Ls. Anyway, your Canon Ls would hold its value longer than third party lenses.

Last edited:
Maybe that shop have no L lens.... but have alot of stock for the Tamron 18-270mm :think::bsmilie:

haha I am game :bsmilie: we both work as a team and go to this shop with a couple of L lenses at the basement Lucky Plaza .. someone use the 500D to video the whole scene :bsmilie:

Last edited:
do not believe these words from these kind of shop keepers

Probably very high profit for Tamron lenses... these people sell based on profit, not what's good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.