The D3 and D3s

quelfala

Jul 23, 2012
Singapore
Hey guys, just out of curiousity whether D3 and D3s are still competent in nowadays? I am actually thinking of getting a used D3 in near future. What I am looking at is a FF camera, just want to know what you guys think of these 2 camera. The upgrade won't be so soon because the rumoured D600 might just appear so I am still doing research now but I need bros who have experience with these camera to give me some advice.

Hey guys, just out of curiousity whether D3 and D3s are still competent in nowadays? I am actually thinking of getting a used D3 in near future. What I am looking at is a FF camera, just want to know what you guys think of these 2 camera. The upgrade won't be so soon because the rumoured D600 might just appear so I am still doing research now but I need bros who have experience with these camera to give me some advice.

Tell us your purpose with D3s and D3. Subsequently, you mentioned D600. All the cameras you mentioned are of different calibre.

I am looking for a FF camera and just saw used D3 for like around 3k so thought it's a pretty good deal and with the robust body but there comes the D600 which was rumoured. I just want to check whether the D3 is still competent enough to stay working for like 2-4 years? I usually do landcape +night shot probably going into portrait also but usually landscape and nightshot. As for moving to FF will be in the near future but I just want to check the copetency of the D3 because if the D600 really came out, the price would be high also.

Don't want to spend too much X.x

The question is how u define competent?

If you only need to take picture, D3 will still be great. It's the grand daddy of Nikon FX. Ha ha.

hmm as for competent would be megapixel count that I am worried about. I am using D70s and it has 6mp which I am starting to complaint when shooting under lowlight where it doesnt really handle well with ISO at 1600(max) I am looking for a good mp camera, would prefer FX but if there's any DX camera from nikon could have a robust and good ergonomic grip like the pro cam , why not?

Looks like all you want is a FF camera. Yea wait for the D600. If you dont want to spend so much..why not consider a used D700 also?

I've considered a used D700 also, just wonder whether it could be as robust as the D'1' digit cam or not because personally i have not tried them myself.

I've considered a used D700 also, just wonder whether it could be as robust as the D'1' digit cam or not because personally i have not tried them myself.

landscape and portrait.

A D700 is more than enough for you, if you are looking for a FF.

Both landscape and portrait, you do not require high ISO performance.

I would suggest pick up a D700, a good tripod and ballhead.

You are good to go.

Save up the rest of your $$$ and get better lenses =)

orh ya! as for robust~ don't have to worry. D700 is fit enough :)

Here comes the confusion for me, D700 i saw in BnS are usually range around 2500 and above, wouldnt it be better to top up a little and get a D3 with pro body and robust? are there so many different between D3 and D700? both have 12mp also and is it because of the metering system? or dynamic range?

How does these 2 compare to D7000 then? because I heard alot of good reviews from people about this camera.

d3 and d700 share the same sensor, hence same performance...u will get the same IQ..other differences between these 2 camera probably doesnt affect you as much as you will be shooting primarily landscape and portraits. But hey, if you got the spare cash, get the d3 for the better built..

d7000 is also quite good, at least in the DX bracket...dont think if you should even compare the 2...

now my take is..wait...d600 should be just round the corner...by then, you will know which one may suit you better..likely to see prices in 2nd hand market to drop also...

hmm--- you're right. I am just kinda doing some research. I don't really need video mode for my DSLR because they are solely for me to take pictures. I wouldn't mind to spend a little more to get top of the line robust built and 9FPS just incase I got into wild-life or sport :p but don't think so cause mainly will go into landscape/night shot. Beside from the MP issue, it's the ergonomic/handling of the camera, I've played with my friend's 1d mk3 so I guess the feel might more or less the same goes to D3 so I am in love with the grip and bold look :p

MP issue? 12mp is plenty...for most shooters(hobbyists) who hardly print..any extra is a waste...and 12mp can print pretty big already...

on the other hand, you can add a grip to d700 to make it more "robust"....

Here comes the confusion for me, D700 i saw in BnS are usually range around 2500 and above, wouldnt it be better to top up a little and get a D3 with pro body and robust? are there so many different between D3 and D700? both have 12mp also and is it because of the metering system? or dynamic range?

How does these 2 compare to D7000 then? because I heard alot of good reviews from people about this camera.

D700 second hand you shld be able to get at 1900 depends on the shutter count. Depends on the condition. i sold mine at 1900 with original grip, with 3 original batteries, but my condition is ard 9. with ard 49k shutter count. so u can gauge from here.

Some seller put at higher price for you to negotiate.

If you do a little more research D700 sensor is a little better compare to D3, in terms of better high ISO performance and better colour depth.
D700 adding a battery grip u can achieve high 8FPS by using AA batteries.

cheaper in this sense. U can save almost 1k and with that money you can get better lenses which is more important in my view =)

believe me. soon you will feel silly bringing a D3 out. when u can achieve everything with D700. =D be more kind to your body and wallet!

Last edited:
Ahh...I am aware that jumping to FX+12mp is a big leap from D70s so I would want to pick the right one and stays with it for quite awhile like the D70s. It has been like almost 7 years.

Ahh...I am aware that jumping to FX+12mp is a big leap from D70s so I would want to pick the right one and stays with it for quite awhile like the D70s. It has been like almost 7 years.

i jump from D80 to D300 to D700 in less than a year.

D700 stayed with me for ard 2 years. =D for assignment/personal =D

I see, would love to meet you in person as I can have some hands on ? that would be the best instead of discussing here :p bros with D3 if don't mind can let me hands on abit? haha Just a suggestion :p

First you want a D3/D3s, yet waiting for a D600, next you thought of getting a D700 but peeking at D7000. Since you are already prepared to spend over 3k and yearning for megapixels – Get a D800.

D700 second hand you shld be able to get at 1900 depends on the shutter count. Depends on the condition. i sold mine at 1900 with original grip, with 3 original batteries, but my condition is ard 9. with ard 49k shutter count. so u can gauge from here.

Some seller put at higher price for you to negotiate.

If you do a little more research D700 sensor is a little better compare to D3, in terms of better high ISO performance and better colour depth.
D700 adding a battery grip u can achieve high 8FPS by using AA batteries.

cheaper in this sense. U can save almost 1k and with that money you can get better lenses which is more important in my view =)

believe me. soon you will feel silly bringing a D3 out. when u can achieve everything with D700. =D be more kind to your body and wallet!

You won't look back at smaller cams once you handled with big boys like the single digit D series....