The current trend in organised model shoot ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
The latest trend, which probably started about 18 months ago, is to have multiple models at an organized shoot, 3 to 4 appeared to be the norm these days.

To the uninformed, this might sound like a great deal. Same/similar pricing, now I can shoot 4 models.

Let me do some maths first.

The photographer to model ratio is 6:1. This has been the case when there was only 1 model at a shoot to the current multiple models circus.

The duration of a shoot seemed to be pegged firmly at 3 hours or 180 minutes.

When there were only 1 model, each photographer (one of six) has an equivalent of 30 minutes to work one on one with the model. The team of six, has time to innovate and create.

Fast forward to today, a 4 model organized shoot, with 4 team of six photographers during a 3 hours shoot. Under perfect timing condition, each team has 45 minutes to work with a model, each photographer has an equivalent of 7.5 minutes to work one on one with the model. There are simply no time to create, let alone innovate. Every photographer will crowd in front and fire away.

These are facts pertaining to the organized shoot environment of today.

These circus shoot, everybody loose but one. The photographers loose the most, paying and wasting hard disk space, the models loose too because horrible pictures of themselves get circulated, but the economics for the organizers appeared to be the best.

I doubt many of the models are doing it to get good photos of themselves, if any turn out, thats just a bonus. They are in it for the money too. The only people that truly lose out are photographers.

Photographers shooting the models to innovate?

yeah right.

The mentality of the "photographers" joining the organise shoot had changed.
Seems like most of themeprefer to have more models, the more the merrier.

Some shoot start with 3 models, if it hit 18 photographers, the organiser will add one more model and open up slot for 6 more photographers. That disadvantage the photogrphers and benefit the organiser. With additional 6 photographers and shoot duration still maintain at 3 hours, each photographers will effectively get less time to shoot. While for the organisers, adding models only benefit their pocket. But seems like no photographers joining the shoot are complaining, they are infact happier, so just let it be :D

Let say for a shoot of 3 hours, 3 models, 2 outfit and 6 photographers in each group Basically its like each group will only stay with one model with the same outfit for only 30 minutes. With 6 photographers, everyone only get to shoot at most 5 minutes before they need to move on.

For a 3 hour shoot, 1 model, 2 outfits and 6 photographrs. the model will stay with the 6 photographers for 1.5 hour before change so effectively, each photographer will get to shoot the same model with the same outfit for 15 minutes, and defnitely they will have more time to communicate, direct and pose the models.

With the current trend, it more like the models are expected to pose and photographers will just snap what is available. It quite similar to shooting models in car show :bsmilie:

Yes to Swampthing, yes, to innovate. I remember joining organised model shoot, not so long ago, we talked about how to shoot, pose, compose, light etc etc.

Mystudio has a great point. These days, the model shoot is like shooting at a car show or IT show or whatever. The different is, these shows are much less expensive than $100, or $80, or $65, or even $45.

I disagree that we should jet let it be. Someone must try to maintain some form of standard.

They typically have one or two experienced/good-looking models leading more inexperienced/good-looking models too... Which is why it's sometimes so hard to make a decision to join these shoots... Why pay full price to shoot only 1 model out of 3 or 4 that I really want to shoot?

And I wonder why the experienced models stand for it.... You split the fees equally with someone who is not as good as you (assuming it's equal split, of course).

people wanna to spend their money how ever they choose its their perorgative, though you'd think some of them know better. alas as said b4 its their perorgative.

maybe next time we will see 80 photographers to 15 models.:bigeyes:

If the photographers were complaining these shoots would not be popular. It's market forces. but maybe you can feedback to the organiser and he will try going back to the single model method.

If the photographers were complaining these shoots would not be popular. It's market forces. but maybe you can feedback to the organiser and he will try going back to the single model method.

Going back to single model method may not work.. the market is already "spoilt".

So far, Modellin or Ivan is one of those rare few who can organise shoot with a single model and still command a high price :D. The reason are simple.. the models are from overseas with substantial modelling experience, its hard to book them for a one-to-one shoot, not to mentioned the relatively high hourly rate they command compared to the local models.

For local "models", you can easily locate and engage them for a one-to-one shoot with hourly rate average $60, which is still cheaper than joining the group shoot, where you effectively shoot for 30 minutes only.

maybe next time we will see 80 photographers to 15 models.:bigeyes:

haha, i thought that happens before for the overseas (malaysia) outing organised a couple of years ago? ;p
Anyway, that is a different scenario, its more like a gathering for the photographers and its quite an memorable one :)

It has its pro and cons..

For pro or more experience photographer, its definitely not enough and usually not able to execute what is intended due to lack of time.

For newbies or novice, its a move to gain some confidence in portrait shooting, and perhaps pick up some tips from the other shooters.

That is why you can see the previous batch of usual photogs who attend organized shoots have started to move towards private shoot.

Just my 2cents.

ya, i agree with the pros and cons bit.
bit subjective area u are discussing here.

with one model, u will see many amateurs photograpers shying away and at the same time, discouraging new models from emerging (but this will encourage tcfds).
with many models, more people more fun in a way (typical singaporean). yes, time and creativity will be limited. but u cater to a wider audience and more participation. allows young models to emerge easily too. and besides, not all experienced photographers want to work with amateur models, can be fustrating.

hence i think the way the shoots are organised are quite balanced. we get some who offer single models and this are the more experienced ones. there are some who organised the mass ones and this offers emerging or experience models. i think this is a good balance.

GWC just join photo shoot to see XMMs and add XMMs photos in their collection, of course the more the more.

some even organize a mass shoot for few dollars, might as well all photographers form a circle, put the model on a lazy Susan and just turn and turn, than all photographers just shoot and shoot like no tomorrow.

some even organize a mass shoot for few dollars, might as well all photographers form a circle, put the model on a lazy Susan and just turn and turn, than all photographers just shoot and shoot like no tomorrow.

machiam firing squad liao :sweatsm::bsmilie:

We prefer to be on a moving circular platform shooting at the models surrounding us with slow shutter speed to get motion blur. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.