The current trend in organised model shoot ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
good for the model too, she able to get the maximum shots by a lot of photographers in the shortest time, this is any girls are dreaming of.

if they want to live out a fantasy that they're famous then yes.:bsmilie:

machiam firing squad liao :sweatsm::bsmilie:
the set up will be something like this.....

all the black holes are camera and lenses

bullettime.jpg

good for the model too, she able to get the maximum shots by a lot of photographers in the shortest time, this is any girls are dreaming of.

No wonder those XMMs love to posed for those GWC with camera grip......... 9fps.

Maybe in near future those XMMs experience are base on shutter count. :bsmilie:

Your last sentence is the reason for the trend - in 1 hour, if I can earn $A x 1 or $A x 3, obviously they choose $A x 3.

Of course the usual compromises will be made to achieve $A x 3.

The latest trend, which probably started about 18 months ago, is to have multiple models at an organized shoot, 3 to 4 appeared to be the norm these days.

To the uninformed, this might sound like a great deal. Same/similar pricing, now I can shoot 4 models.

Let me do some maths first.

The photographer to model ratio is 6:1. This has been the case when there was only 1 model at a shoot to the current multiple models circus.

The duration of a shoot seemed to be pegged firmly at 3 hours or 180 minutes.

When there were only 1 model, each photographer (one of six) has an equivalent of 30 minutes to work one on one with the model. The team of six, has time to innovate and create.

Fast forward to today, a 4 model organized shoot, with 4 team of six photographers during a 3 hours shoot. Under perfect timing condition, each team has 45 minutes to work with a model, each photographer has an equivalent of 7.5 minutes to work one on one with the model. There are simply no time to create, let alone innovate. Every photographer will crowd in front and fire away.

These are facts pertaining to the organized shoot environment of today.

These circus shoot, everybody loose but one. The photographers loose the most, paying and wasting hard disk space, the models loose too because horrible pictures of themselves get circulated, but the economics for the organizers appeared to be the best.

This is also true - because they pay higher for the better ones, and use the cheaper ones to subsidise the rest. The more experienced models do not get an equal split, they get their normal rates and the cheaper models just build up the bulk.

They typically have one or two experienced/good-looking models leading more inexperienced/good-looking models too... Which is why it's sometimes so hard to make a decision to join these shoots... Why pay full price to shoot only 1 model out of 3 or 4 that I really want to shoot?

And I wonder why the experienced models stand for it.... You split the fees equally with someone who is not as good as you (assuming it's equal split, of course).

My view is that organisers of the past did it more for passion that money. On the contrary, the organisers of today tend to look at the bottom line when deciding how to organise.

This is also apparent from the numerous different pple who jump on the bandwagon, including newly "promoted" models turn organisers. After all, why earn less doing the actual thing, than to earn more sitting back and watching.

The only catch comes when they realise its not so easy as "sitting back and watching", and I have personally seen or heard of many disasters where inexperienced organisers try to take on too much without even having a good idea of what to do/expect/contingencies.

If the photographers were complaining these shoots would not be popular. It's market forces. but maybe you can feedback to the organiser and he will try going back to the single model method.

Your last sentence is the reason for the trend - in 1 hour, if I can earn $A x 1 or $A x 3, obviously they choose $A x 3.

Of course the usual compromises will be made to achieve $A x 3.

I fully understand economics will drive everything. Lowest common denominator. Maximize profit, quality be damned.

That said, it's up to those that are serious and passionate about the hobby to maintain some form of standard.

I fully understand economics will drive everything. Lowest common denominator. Maximize profit, quality be damned.

That said, it's up to those that are serious and passionate about the hobby to maintain some form of standard.

kind of the wrong place to be sounding that clarion don'tcha think?:sweatsm:

Mystudio has a great point. These days, the model shoot is like shooting at a car show or IT show or whatever. The different is, these shows are much less expensive than $100, or $80, or $65, or even $45.

That's why nowadays I see more cameramen than models in the exhibition hall :bsmilie:

kind of the wrong place to be sounding that clarion don'tcha think?:sweatsm:

Why? This is the place I am hanging out. If not here, where? If not here, then I might as well pack up and hit the road.

Why? This is the place I am hanging out. If not here, where? If not here, then I might as well pack up and hit the road.

because you have an unreceptive audience so its mainly the small minority wasting their breath yelling into the darkness.

If you're the brave type something may come out from the darkness answering your yell:

ghost2.jpg

i ain't afraid of no ghosts!:bsmilie:

Now I am pissed.

If the small minority does not keep the flame lit, guard it from wind and water, spread it to lit up the horizon, it will die, and the art will die.

Is that what you are proposing?

I have nothing against the organizers making money. That is fine. Making money is everyone's right.

However, I have a major problem with how people approach shooting model these days. It is definitely not photography, definitely not creativity, and the end result is absolutely horrific.

photographers should think twice after examining the crowd size @ shoot.. how are u going to get a good composition when the model is so stressed up with so many photographers ?

Now I am pissed.

If the small minority does not keep the flame lit, guard it from wind and water, spread it to lit up the horizon, it will die, and the art will die.

Is that what you are proposing?

I have nothing against the organizers making money. That is fine. Making money is everyone's right.

However, I have a major problem with how people approach shooting model these days. It is definitely not photography, definitely not creativity, and the end result is absolutely horrific.

no i'm proposing exactly as you said. the minority be the vanguard and protect what we believe in. The majority that wants to do what they wanna do we leave alone because why waste energy preaching to them when they're not gonna listen? I'd rather use that energy to go out and shoot more worthwhile subjects. Its both picking and choosing your battles and not forcing your beliefs on people who dun wanna listen. Unless something major happens to change the zeitgeist of society nothing's gonna change. The minorities will always be the innovators who stay ahead of the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.