The cost of storage today vs yesterday, u wun believe the figures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leinaj

Feb 12, 2006
Pasir Ris
forums.clubsnap.org
Happened to chance on my first memory card bought about 4 years back for my first digital camera. When contrasting to today's price per byte, goodness it really very very scary to think of how much it cost previously. With the same amount today, I will prolly be able to get 7 gigabytes worth of storage vs 64 mb.

Reflecting, how technology has advanced and how things also get obsolete quickly. Prol;ly worth deeper reflecting to link to personal knowledge and how one must continue to upgrade oneself to stay relevant.

Just a simple sharing of my discovery today ... anyone feels like adding to perceptions, observations please feel free.

Here's a shot of my purchase then and I prolly gonna keep it as a reminder for myself to stay "tuned" :p

_MG_3040.jpg

if i dun remember wrongly, at 1 point of time, the ram for pc cost 5 bucks per MB of ram :)
64MB cost about $300++ ouch!

What u forgot is the amount of space used up per image/application/file is significantly larger. Last time 64kB ought to be enough for everybody.

Aiya, What I know is in the computer world, the price of a new computer 10 yrs ago and now is still the about same.

Last time police wear shorts also. :)

Not quite true... my 486 system back then cost about $3k now you can get a system for $1.5k?

When you feel bad about how expensive memory cards that you bought 3 or 4 years ago, just remember how much worse memory card prices were when top of the line DSLR only had a 1-2 MP resolution back in around mid 1990s. IIRC some of them costed around USD 700-1,000. :bsmilie:

if i dun remember wrongly, at 1 point of time, the ram for pc cost 5 bucks per MB of ram :)
64MB cost about $300++ ouch!

i was in the era per mb of ram 100 bucks... remember even before that still got 512kb per stick... haha... i still got those 30pin sticks somewhere... and imagine something heavier than your normal dvd drive, same size with only 20mb space, at tat time a super luxury item...

I got my first PC (286) in 1989 and I bought a 40MB HDD for $400. Back then, the most popular game is RTK3 and comes with 3 floppy. Boot up is via a Dos 6.22 diskette.

Back in 1989,

$1 = 0.1MB

Now,

$1 = 1,904.76MB

I got my first PC (286) in 1989 and I bought a 40MB HDD for $400. Back then, the most popular game is RTK3 and comes with 3 floppy. Boot up is via a Dos 6.22 diskette.

And also the game SanGuo Zi. Comes in 3 5 1/2" Floppy. The most porpular DOS game sld be PACMAN!!! :D
I still remember playing with the 10" floppy disk.

Correct me if i m wrong, 286 isnt using DOS 6.22, instead it sld be DOS 3. As my 386 is running DOS 4. Slowly changed to 486 running Windows 3.1 with DOS 5. DOS 6.22 oni came out when there's Windows 3.1a running on Pentium 100Mb.

Couldnt remember clearly but I'm sure if you ask around, none of the kids nowadays know what DOS is hahaha yeah DOS has a "CLS" command as well.

Running Win 3.1 requires just 4MB of RAM and the maximum then was about 16MB IIRC.

Btw, I jumped from 286 to a Digitek Pentium 1 (100MHz) :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Correction on the speed haha

And also the game SanGuo Zi. Comes in 3 5 1/2" Floppy. The most porpular DOS game sld be PACMAN!!! :D
I still remember playing with the 10" floppy disk.

Correct me if i m wrong, 286 isnt using DOS 6.22, instead it sld be DOS 3. As my 386 is running DOS 4. Slowly changed to 486 running Windows 3.1 with DOS 5. DOS 6.22 oni came out when there's Windows 3.1a running on Pentium 100Mb.

wah another hardcore 1... quite true, about 1990 or 1992, was using 5.0 cos during that time they came out with EMS & XMS, then some game force it to run in only EMS, so have to do config to my bootup... it allows booting to hdd. btw, how u get a 10" floppy? i never see that b4...

actually popular DOS game for XT is Alley cat & Digger, haha...

Couldnt remember clearly but I'm sure if you ask around, none of the kids nowadays know what DOS is hahaha yeah DOS has a "CLS" command as well.

Running Win 3.1 requires just 4MB of RAM and the maximum then was about 16MB IIRC.

Btw, I jumped from 286 to a Digitek Pentium 1 (100Hz) :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

100hz, damn crawling man, my 1st XT was already 8Mhz liao... :bsmilie:

wah another hardcore 1... quite true, about 1990 or 1992, was using 5.0 cos during that time they came out with EMS & XMS, then some game force it to run in only EMS, so have to do config to my bootup... it allows booting to hdd. btw, how u get a 10" floppy? i never see that b4...

actually popular DOS game for XT is Alley cat & Digger, haha...

Its abt the size of 4 5 1/2" floppy put together. Think is the floppy for the servers then. Also see those huge drum tapes b4. I first started using PC was in 1985, i tink when i was oni 5 yrs old. keke

P1 was 100Mhz, dats was my first own PC, way back in 1990 like dat.

Shouldnt be... When first P1 is like 60MHz. Think it is launched in 1991. I got my P1 100MHz when it was first launched in early 1992.

Its abt the size of 4 5 1/2" floppy put together. Think is the floppy for the servers then. Also see those huge drum tapes b4. I first started using PC was in 1985, i tink when i was oni 5 yrs old. keke

i started much later, about P1 or P2, with my parent's PC (XT) given to me around P5-P6 to dismantle... build my 1st system at end of S1, 386DX, then skipped 486 althou i built a few 486s for my parents, then work also built 486s, then on came pentiums... and all the Overclocking...

Back then, didnt ever have any problems with the original PSU and the cooling fan.

Nowadays, got to upgrade the PSU and even graphics card comes with heat sink.

i was in the era per mb of ram 100 bucks... remember even before that still got 512kb per stick... haha... i still got those 30pin sticks somewhere... and imagine something heavier than your normal dvd drive, same size with only 20mb space, at tat time a super luxury item...
Wow, I built my first PC in 1985, tat time no 30pin sticks, all used the DRAM chip 1 piece by 1 piece insert into socket one, I remember my whole PC got 256kB, considered very good liao, it costed me almost $3k just for the 256kB...

wah i remeber paying aobut $70 for my 128mb MMC last time and i thought THAT was expensive...

I started with 286 then 386 the later jumped to a 75mhz P1 with an incredible 32mb of ram :O Then alter came the celeron 300 that lasted me for another 3 years with nuemerous updrages ...

Looks like I'm an old fart compared to you all ;)
My first personal computer (not IBM PC) was a clone Apple II Plus bought in People's Park Centre (yes, in those days, there was no SLS, and PPC was the "in" place for electronics and computer stuff). Last time where got hard disk :bsmilie: If you got TWO 360kb floppy drives, you are quite pro already, because most people got one only.
That time computer spoil can still repair by buying those 74LS chips from Sim Lim Tower :bsmilie:
I also remember one time, many years ago, if you walk around SLS, you cannot find RAM to buy even when you got money, all selling motherboards with empty sockets only, no RAM (is that the Sumitomo fire someone mentioned above ?). I think it was either in the late 80's or early 90's. I think it was XT or 286 days.
My colleague and I did our very first overclock on those 486DX-33, change the system bus speed to 40MHz and got a nice 20% boost. Later, we thot why not do better, change the 486DX2-66 to 80MHz in the same way. Nowadays overclocking no fun anymore.
I remember there was one time, in the Pentium or 486 days, I was selling 2nd-hand 1MB RAM SIMMS for $100 a piece (2nd-hand, not new).

Status
Not open for further replies.