The correct way of using a monopod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
Just got a monopod with 234RC.

Is this the most stable way of using it? Tilt the cam down so that when the monopod is perpendicular to the ground, the cam is looking down. Then slant the monopod so that the camera is facing leveled to the ground (or at whatever tilt, adjust initially as necessary). Stand with your 2 legs wide apart and let the camera rest on your face and brace with your left/right hands as per normal holding the body/lens. I find that i could relish an advantage of more than 3 stops easily. In fact i once achieved 1/30s with a 300mm lens (450mm due to 1.5x)

The incorrect way is to let the monopod stand straight up (though this looks correct at first glance). I find that this way i could only monopod with an advantage of around 2 stops at best without horizontal movement.

Cool! :) I can appreciate a monopod too, cheap man's (but effective) VR for ALL of your glasses.

Incidentally, I was doing my ICT at SAF parade and saw one of them official photogs using the monopod straight up. :sweat: Which brings me to this post of the correct way of using it.

Any ideas how to choose a monopod which suit my gears?

Giottos, Manfrotto, SLik?

How to decide?

not just your gears, you'll want one that's tall enough for you and not too heavy to carry around. also, the head usually comes separate.

my impression of using a monopod is like doing a horse stance.. haha kung fu!

Saw a Giottos carbon fibre one at CP selling at $90+. Is this a good one and if this consider as a "expensive" monopod?

I notice people who use monopod to balance the weight of the equipment rather than as a steadying "leg". for these usage, I guess just sticking it upright is fine.

2100 said:
Cool! :) I can appreciate a monopod too, cheap man's (but effective) VR for ALL of your glasses.

Incidentally, I was doing my ICT at SAF parade and saw one of them official photogs using the monopod straight up. :sweat: Which brings me to this post of the correct way of using it.

if he was using it to bear the weight of a heavy lens then straight up is ok :)

Sorry if abit OT here, but anyone got recommendation for a good monopod head? I'm using the Manfrotto swivel-tilt head with quick-release, and the release plate doesn't fit snugly into the head.

my monopod is modified from me broken slik 300DX, using the leg clamps to connect to the centre pole, 3 section by default, but can modify to 4 sections if height is required...haha

Was thinking of getting an Arca Swiss B1 or a Markins M-10 for my Manfrotto 679B monopod first (plus some QR plates for my 70-200VR and D70), until I can save enough for a good tripod. Anyone can help me to decide between these 2 ballheads and if possible, how much do they cost?

TIA
GYR

Price between B1 and M10 is significant but performance about the same. In addition M10 is lighter. If you don't venture into the extrem end of tele M10 would do.

Gymrat76 said:
Was thinking of getting an Arca Swiss B1 or a Markins M-10 for my Manfrotto 679B monopod first (plus some QR plates for my 70-200VR and D70), until I can save enough for a good tripod. Anyone can help me to decide between these 2 ballheads and if possible, how much do they cost?

TIA
GYR

just get the 234RC (<$60) would do for a monopod. Arca Swiss or Markins with plates would cost in excess of $500.

Gymrat76 said:

TIA
GYR
Markins M10 definitely. Both ballheads offer almost the same performance, but M10 edges out the Arca Swiss due to it being abt 300g lighter and more compact too. Used it before with big lenses such as 400/2.8, it could handle the weight with no problem at all. :thumbsup: Furthermore the M10 is cheaper by a couple hundred bucks too.

Thanks for the replies. I could spring for a cheaper ballhead, but thought I might as well get it right the first time around. Since a good ballhead can last me a very very long time, I don't mind investing once in a good quality one, rather than blow money upgrading when I feel it's inadequate later. For my current shooting needs, a good ballhead with a monopod and the VR lens should be able to cover most situations (except long exposures, but I don't shoot much of that). Then when I've got more $ in the future, I'll invest in a good tripod and can re-use the head and QR plates.

BTW, anyone know the price for Markins M-10 in SIngapore? How about RRS, Kirk and Wimberly QR plates for the D70 and 70-200 f/2.8VR lens? :D

Gymrat76 said:
BTW, anyone know the price for Markins M-10 in SIngapore? How about RRS, Kirk and Wimberly QR plates for the D70 and 70-200 f/2.8VR lens? :D
Markins M10 is about ~$550-$600 new at CP. Not sure about the RRS and Kirk plates, but I know the Wimberley plates goes for about ~$120 apiece. Also can be found at CP. For 70-200 VR, I think you can get the P20.

Status
Not open for further replies.