Status
Not open for further replies.

ahpoke

Jul 23, 2008
east
ahpoke.wordpress.com
kk210309-111-edited-resized-watermarked.jpg

taken at a court house in Adelaide, Australia

i was walking along a street, past the court house and i saw this girl taking a walk with her grandmother and her dress was a striking contrast to the grey of the courthouse.

in photoshop i just increased the contrast of her dress

picture taken with a 450D 18-55mm kit lens no flash
ISO: 100
Shutter: 1/64
DOF: F5.6

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-Composition
-Photoshopping techniques
-Technical aspect of the shot?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to show the contrast of the surroundings in comparison to the person

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I was on shore leave from my job, just so happen to be walking down the street.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I think its like one of my best shots, but yet i know i still have a long long way to break free from being an amateur. Personally i strive to improve over my shots that have a human figure in it. I also feel that i have a long way to go in terms of composition, most of my photos people say my composition is bad... but im nt sure exactly how to improve in my composition

why the tilted. dun tilted the photo just for the sake of tilting

that aside
i do see some contrast...but not enough

my 2 cts.:)
If u wanted to show just contrast, then I'll say its rather successful! simply because her dress does stands out from the gray surroundings.

I do agree on the tilting part. Its not a very powerful image on its own and tilting it doesnt help much.A tighter cropping may though. One weakening reason could be that she is looking into the window but it is reflecting 100% the tree and building across. What happens is that our eyes will usually follow her gaze, but in this case, it not a very interesting reflection? Its like a 'flow' ended abruptly..:)HTH

Last edited:
as a rule of thumb; when to tilt a picture:

1) visualise it without the tilt

2) visualise it with

3) if 2 is better than 1, then go for it. if not, then don't bother.

i think some vignetting can bring more attention to the girl.. and the tilt is kinda drastic. Slightly less tilt might help.

To me if you want to make the girl stand out more, should zoom in more and maybe not tilt the photo.

would have been better if u had zoomed out abit and not tilted the photo. would prefer to see more of the courthouse

To me if you want to make the girl stand out more, should zoom in more and maybe not tilt the photo.

would have been better if u had zoomed out abit and not tilted the photo. would prefer to see more of the courthouse

I think to me, zoom out will give a larger picture of the scene I think, also better.
Zoom in will give another kind of composition, like to the full body length of the girl or something, also good.

So TS, it depends on you! Don't get too much confused yea. :)

why the tilted. dun tilted the photo just for the sake of tilting

that aside
i do see some contrast...but not enough
I agree. Don't tilt it.
It makes the photo funny due to the composition/angle..

I think a normal shot w/o tilting it would be alright.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.