The Camera Studio - Singapore

BravoSeven

Jun 4, 2011
Singapore
The Camera Studio.

Does anyone know of a company called 'The Camera Studio Singapore'?

A friend of mine found an old picture of her late father that had the stamp of this studio on it. She now wants to know if somehow, by some miracle, she can try and obtain more copies or other unprinted negatives.

Would appreciate any info you can share about this studio.

ask her mom , she should know/remember

check with Registry of Companies log .... i think there might be a small fee involved

Chances are very low.

Put yourself in the shoes of the camera studio.

Would you keep negatives of your customer's few photos taken in the studio for the next 50 years, hoping that one day one of their children would want to make reprints?

You would not.

Out of 100,000 customers maybe 1 case will be like that.

And how much profit would you make from that single request for reprints from the negatives?

Weigh that against the inventory costs of keeping all of your customer's negatives in good condition for so long.

In any case, many photo studios close due to poor business. New ones crop up. Once they close and go bust, all their negatives may be thrown.

With the advent of easy to use cameras, autofocus and digital photography, less people go to photo studios.
Their family members can easily make the shots for special occasions.

Last edited:
the cost of achieving negative is very high, and changes of customers returning to order prints after one or two years are very slim.
usually negative will be disposed after some time.

as in today, achieving digital images the cost is even higher, data store in CD, DVD, external harddisc will not last forever, backing up with new storage mediums from time to time incur additional cost and labours.
so digital images will also be disposed after a period of time.

many people still do not see the benefits of making and displaying hardcopy print, believe it is a good ideal storing all the photos digitally.
Most hardcopy prints will last more than 50 years if printed correctly, nobody can say the same if you can store digital images safely for that long.

Agree totally on this. I use to keep 3 sets of backup for every project that was completed. After a few years, only 6 customers came back to me 3 years after the assignment to ask for reproduction of those images. It was totally not economical. In the end, I resort to telling them that I hold the images for 12 months. Afterwhich, I will not be able to help them retrieve anything.

the cost of achieving negative is very high, and changes of customers returning to order prints after one or two years are very slim.
usually negative will be disposed after some time.

as in today, achieving digital images the cost is even higher, data store in CD, DVD, external harddisc will not last forever, backing up with new storage mediums from time to time incur additional cost and labours.
so digital images will also be disposed after a period of time.

many people still do not see the benefits of making and displaying hardcopy print, believe it is a good ideal storing all the photos digitally.
Most hardcopy prints will last more than 50 years if printed correctly, nobody can say the same if you can store digital images safely for that long.

If one really treasure something, get a safe deposit box and keep it in there. A friend of my had a system with 5 sets of internal and external RAID HDDs totalling several dozen or so powered by three separate UPSes but a fire destroyed everything.

I told him to go buy some 4D and install a automated rapid smoke / fire detection and inert gaseous fire suppression system when he renovate his house and the ironic thing was he once lectured undergraduates on reliability engineering topics such as Fault Tree Analysis (FTA), Single Point of Failure (SPOF) and Normalization of Deviance (NoD) etc etc.... :bsmilie:

Is the double post a sign of something you treasure ? :bsmilie: