the bride

Status
Not open for further replies.

auden09

Jul 22, 2009
Singapore
ry%3D400

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition, colour

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
seeking to improve

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
in a bedroom, one overhead fluorescent light above and a small window behind the bride

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i think it captures the motions, but something is lacking...colour not too good?

the bride is very pretty.:)

for the photo, wb is alright.. but too many distracting elements in the photo. i.e. the rad bag on the left and the wall tilting away on the right.

try going closer, framing just the bride herself. focal point can be her eye and smile. this shot can be nicer in two ways:
1) focal length remains same but bg is solely the wall with no distractions
2) focal length is higher and there is a tigher crop on the bride's head+veil

Composition

1. Focus could have been on her smile because her veil is blurring her eyes here.

2. Give her more space to look, if you are not taking portrait.

3. Portrait with her top part of her dress would have been great ("the something missing" you mentioned)

Colour

1. The overall white is nice and gentle, but the bride looks a little pale.

2. Try boosting the saturation, to give her a more radiant and happy look.

Nice capture of a brilliant smile and wonderful mood.

Distracting background elements, and lights (right side).
Picture look flat, try to pump up the tone & contrast more.

1) Color is dull, distracting items on corner left and right.
2) Do not know what is making the bride smile... expression/emotion captured. But subject that causes her smile is unknown?
3) Composition not that good, bride is looking down, but don't know looking at what and smiling. Photo looks better in portrait mode. If you want landscape then zoom out.
4) Gown not shown in photo, makes the bride seems like naked. Try not to cut off photo at shoulder level.

I would wish that the skin tone could be more distinct from the tone of the veil, there are some parts in the picture where the skin tone "merges" with the veil.
Shot could be better if shot at bride's eye level.

Cheers

ry%3D400

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
composition, colour

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
seeking to improve

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
in a bedroom, one overhead fluorescent light above and a small window behind the bride

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i think it captures the motions, but something is lacking...colour not too good?

i like the tones on the bride here. it is also a nice moment, with an appropriate expression.

as for the distractions, simple job of cloning them away.

here is a quick 5 minute job. if you do this with the full size image, you will have less jpg artefacts.

4076475474_95e64b410f_o.jpg

Last edited:
suggest cropping away the brown object behind the bride and leaving the red bag in the image as a secondary point of interest that also adds colour and balance to the pic. the wb can be improved by removing the greenish cast from the fluorescent lighting as well as boosting the colour warmth and contrast slightly so that the bride stands out more from the background.

e.g.
119067742.jpg

thanks a lot guys for the comments. thanks for making me see the distractions. =) sorry for the late reply, i'm away in australia right now. finally got to use the computer. haha! thanks again. anyway, the bride was alone in the room and her groom is outside trying to beg her to let him come in. haha...that's why she was giggling away when he said a list of things he promise he'd do like "letting her sleep early".

Last edited:
i like the original tones.

The little distractions are still ok. They do serve to show the surroundings as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.