Status
Not open for further replies.

dorts

Mar 10, 2007
SG
three-flowers.jpg
The Bloom of the Flowers.​

Time for critiques again!

Photo was taken in Japan during a cloudy day. Bumped up the WB to get a warmer feel to the photo.

I'm mainly looking out on how to improve composition. So regarding this photo,

1. Does the composition of these three flowers appeal to you? Are they arranged in a way that still leads the eye to the in-focused flower and is the middle flower disrupting the focused flower?
  2. Is the DOF too shallow/deep?
  3. Does the colours match, and does the warmer colours help in giving a feel to the photo? Would a vintage mood give it even more impact?

Please tell me how you feel. Thanks. :)

1- Why did you take the shot from its sides, not front, or top down, or bottom up?
2- whats the parralel white line across the top right? That caught my attention too.
3- why was the focus on that particular flower, not the one in front?
4- Colour - pink against reddish / brown doesnt quite work here la...

Just my immediate impression. Lets wait for others.

The shot from this angle does not give me the feeling of bloom, the white line top of the flowers looks distracting as mentioned by cheguthamrin. the composition is weird even though the focus is on the second flower at the back, the oof flowers simply stand out too much makin the focused flower seem smaller in comparison. No offence meant

1- Why did you take the shot from its sides, not front, or top down, or bottom up?
2- whats the parralel white line across the top right? That caught my attention too.
3- why was the focus on that particular flower, not the one in front?
4- Colour - pink against reddish / brown doesnt quite work here la...

Just my immediate impression. Lets wait for others.

1) I was aiming for a more unique composition rather than a boring usual shots of flowers.

2) I believe that was a pathway.

3) Personally, I feel focusing it on the front flower would just make it another ordinary flower shot.

Thanks for the critiques.

The shot from this angle does not give me the feeling of bloom, the white line top of the flowers looks distracting as mentioned by cheguthamrin. the composition is weird even though the focus is on the second flower at the back, the oof flowers simply stand out too much makin the focused flower seem smaller in comparison. No offence meant

No offence taken, this is critique area after all. :) So you are saying a shallower DOF will be better?

Bro, i think you should recompose your picture slightly to the right, since your picture, you cut some of the areas of the flower on the right side.

it would be nice if all of the three flowers are in focus.. And it looks awkward that the focused flower is being cut by the fore flower..

I really like the way you tilted the angle. Somehow it makes the picture less boring and more fun! *thumbs up*

And do change the title. its not matching at all..

just my two cents :D

Last edited:
hey.
the flowers do really stand out from the background :thumbsup: this you must be proud of.
but...
i feel that the flower in the foreground should be the one in focus instead.
would be good if you have kept all flowers sharp.
would be best if you can capture a WA of many of the same flowers (you should be facing them) and kept everything in focus.
just IMHO.

oh ya, colors work fine.

Last edited:
Bro, i think you should recompose your picture slightly to the right, since your picture, you cut some of the areas of the flower on the right side.

it would be nice if all of the three flowers are in focus.. And it looks awkward that the focused flower is being cut by the fore flower..

I really like the way you tilted the angle. Somehow it makes the picture less boring and more fun! *thumbs up*

And do change the title. its not matching at all..

just my two cents :D

Actually, I have another photo with the flower on the right not cut off, but that photo had more distractions behind.

Having all three flowers do make some sense, although I prefer playing with DOF, and if all three flowers are in focus, I believe the background would be "exposed"?

Haha. Can't seem to think of other titles. Thought of naming it, Three Flowers. :)

Thanks for commenting!

hey.
the flowers do really stand out from the background :thumbsup: this you must be proud of.
but...
i feel that the flower in the foreground should be the one in focus instead.
would be good if you have kept all flowers sharp.
would be best if you can capture a WA of many of the same flowers (you should be facing them) and kept everything in focus.
just IMHO.

oh ya, colors work fine.

Wide-angle is not possible, because there isn't many flowers there. Thanks for commenting!

1. Does the composition of these three flowers appeal to you? Are they arranged in a way that still leads the eye to the in-focused flower and is the middle flower disrupting the focused flower?
  2. Is the DOF too shallow/deep?
  3. Does the colours match, and does the warmer colours help in giving a feel to the photo? Would a vintage mood give it even more impact?

macro, for flowers, i do not do, i can't do it..

but anyways, from all the flower pictures i have seen, i think the key point to a good flower shot comes from either pleasant arrangement, or isolation, with a clean, smooth background. to get an idea of what a good flower shot looks like, you can consider looking through *sakura's photostream in flickr.

link

1) no, the composition doesn't appeal. a few things. they overlap each other. there is no clear separation. the oof flower is cutting across the flower in focus.

2) since the composition falls apart already, dof does not matter here. still, i find the background not quite clean enough.

3) pink on orange/yellow is perhaps alright, not the most striking or "stand out" combination, as compared to say, pink on blue, but it is not horrible pairing.

macro, for flowers, i do not do, i can't do it..

but anyways, from all the flower pictures i have seen, i think the key point to a good flower shot comes from either pleasant arrangement, or isolation, with a clean, smooth background. to get an idea of what a good flower shot looks like, you can consider looking through *sakura's photostream in flickr.

link

1) no, the composition doesn't appeal. a few things. they overlap each other. there is no clear separation. the oof flower is cutting across the flower in focus.

2) since the composition falls apart already, dof does not matter here. still, i find the background not quite clean enough.

3) pink on orange/yellow is perhaps alright, not the most striking or "stand out" combination, as compared to say, pink on blue, but it is not horrible pairing.

Ok. Thanks for the critique. Will take closer note when composing photos.

Took a look at my EXIF again, and realised I used f/5.6. I wondered why, since I should have used my brightest, f/3.5 instead. That would help with the background I guess? :)

And the photostream was amazing. One of the nicest flowers I've seen. I noticed that the colours are really vibrant and bright. I believe it's because of lighting?

And the photostream was amazing. One of the nicest flowers I've seen. I noticed that the colours are really vibrant and bright. I believe it's because of lighting?

i suspect she uses her own backgrounds, which some may perceive as cheating.. some people have also said that it is pp as well..

but

whatever gets the shot, no?

i suspect she uses her own backgrounds, which some may perceive as cheating.. some people have also said that it is pp as well..

but

whatever gets the shot, no?

Personally, I feel changing backgrounds is something I personally wouldn't do, even if I had the skill. Enhancing it maybe.

Most of the backgrounds look real.. Some PP skill she got there. :bsmilie:

Personally, I feel changing backgrounds is something I personally wouldn't do, even if I had the skill. Enhancing it maybe.

Most of the backgrounds look real.. Some PP skill she got there. :bsmilie:

oh, as in she brings pieces of backdrop around. something like that.. can be done :)

then maybe smoothen out with pp.. :devil:

oh, as in she brings pieces of backdrop around. something like that.. can be done :)

then maybe smoothen out with pp.. :devil:

Oh I see. Misread. :bsmilie:

Another question to ask. How can we make use of lighting to make the subject more 3D and bringing out the minute details? Like the angle of light, direction etc.? :)

Hope it's an answerable question. :bsmilie:

Oh I see. Misread. :bsmilie:

Another question to ask. How can we make use of lighting to make the subject more 3D and bringing out the minute details? Like the angle of light, direction etc.? :)

Hope it's an answerable question. :bsmilie:

it really depends.

the light has to make the subject stand out, for example, a object standing in the light from a dark background

color can also help in this aspect.

but i am no flower shooter, best to ask those who actually shoot it. :)

it really depends.

the light has to make the subject stand out, for example, a object standing in the light from a dark background

color can also help in this aspect.

but i am no flower shooter, best to ask those who actually shoot it. :)

Ok. Haha.

Any tips from flower shooters? :)

Not a flower shooter here, but I feel that by taking its side angle, its like taking a side photo of someone's face without the eyes having contact with the camera; the audience.

I like it dude. I like the way my eye is drawn to the out-of-focus flower, then to the in focus one. Nice

Status
Not open for further replies.