The Basta-rd Y + R strap - Beach Road edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernards

Feb 17, 2004
I was totally underwhelmed when I read about the Y strap. The US$30 price tag made me gag. I made a comment about being able to get all the components at Beach Road market and decided to act on it.

I have the R strap. It's a great product. Well made and cleverly designed. The Y strap on the other hand was a rip off. For US$30, you don't even get a quick release. My quest was to make a better version of the Y strap for as cheap and convenient as possible.

I went to Beach Road market and in less than three minutes found the best shop in the world to do it. The shop customizes nylon straps of all shapes and sizes (#02-173). I showed him the R Strap and picked out the nylon belt I wanted and in two minutes I had it in my hands. The strap is size adjustable, has got a quick release and a stopper. You can choose from an array of colours. Red, light brown, dark brown ,black, blue, etc. Cost $6 each.

I went to the shop keymaker next door for the key rings. A pack of small (x8) or large (x5) cost $0.50.

I was still missing the rubber tubing safety stopper for the quick release. I walked over to a fish shop and found the right size rubber tubing for $2 a meter. You only need 1.5cm. (Sorry I forgot the block number, it's walking distance.)

At the most pessimistic cost. Assuming you waste the left over. Total is $8.50.

P.S. I left a sample with the shop (Beach Road Market #02-173). Just go there and ask for the camera strap. If it's too long, request to have it shortened. I was a bit kiasu and made the prototype a little too long.

2586558433_64e3c414c6.jpg

Rubber Stopper
2586600255_772e4725d2.jpg

Grats. careful with the swing around that may scratch the cam body. Gaffer tape the body just incase.

Yeah. That seems to be a fundamental problem with this design.

Any reason why you didn't use a big ring (like what the Y strap apparently uses) instead of the swivel clip?

Also, mind putting up the blueprint of your DIY, so we can also go down to Beach Rd (need the shop description too) and get one made

It's clip is just an option. I believe it slides up and down the nylon strap smoother. You also have the option to just snap off your camera if the need arises.

I left a sample at the shop. You just have to ask the uncle for the 'camera strap'. You just need to adjust the strap, clip it on, adjust the stopping slider, that is it. Like I mentioned in the earlier post, you might want him to make it shorter than the sample piece. (You can just cut it yourself later like all nylon belts.)

For larger SLRs. Maybe a heavier material and clip can be used. Bring your own prada belts and clips if you want. The uncle is very friendly and will gladly customize it any way you want.

The unit number is #02-173. It's got a HUGE 173 painted at the top, no shop name. Just look at the row facing and nearest to the community center.

Cool, I'm thinking of getting my Matin strap sewn to the nylon strap so it's more comfortable.

And maybe instead of a metal ring & swivel, could attach a short nylon loop through the lug.

May I suggest the key ring be replace with a split ring as the one you have is not strong to take a heavy camera and it will eventually rust

I am currently using a Owner Hyper Split Ring #9. BTW the split ring can take a load of 77KG

For quick release a Pioneer Barrel Swivel Snap will do fine and the one I am using can take the load of 15 KG. But you can use bigger and stronger ones. Both items can be bought at any fishing tackle shop at beach road. Unfortunately I'm still not allowed to post a pic to show you. Both items will add up to less then $8

What's this "R" and "Y" strap you all are talking abt?

darrrrrr, interesting. Is the swivel hook able to take sudden jerk forces? It does look a little thin. I am assuming it can, since it's for fishing.

i see such potential ways in scratching the dslr body/lens.

darrrrrrr - Thanks for posting the pics for me

benards - There are bigger and stronger swivels so no worries

i see such potential ways in scratching the dslr body/lens.

No way it will reach the lens, so no issues with that. Body...maybe, however as I am pretty gentle with my 1st DSLR camera...so no scratches so far...touch wood:bsmilie:

No way it will reach the lens, so no issues with that. Body...maybe, however as I am pretty gentle with my 1st DSLR camera...so no scratches so far...touch wood:bsmilie:

i think the scratch will come from the rivets on the jeans(if you are wearing one).not so much so from the strap.
and, if you are carrying a camera bag/backpack, how are you going to use this thing?:dunno:

not really very practical imho.

i think the scratch will come from the rivets on the jeans(if you are wearing one).not so much so from the strap.
and, if you are carrying a camera bag/backpack, how are you going to use this thing?:dunno:

not really very practical imho.

You can scratch your camera and lenses in a thousand and one ways. Gaffering is the only effective solution.

I wouldnt trust those cheapo Pioneer swivels clips. Even if you were to buy the bigger ones with higher poundage rating, this brand is unreliable. Get some Owner ones. They may cost more but you know every single one which comes from Owner, comes from a factory with stringent QC. Try gettng them from Beach Road fishing tackle shops like Sabre.

If you want to use the snap swivels, then use a crosslock version. This one shown can be opened under stress. ;)

Hmmm, I see lots of fishos around... ;)

If you want to use the snap swivels, then use a crosslock version. This one shown can be opened under stress. ;)

Hmmm, I see lots of fishos around... ;)

hehehe!!! IMHO crosslocks may scratch the body hence using the cheapo snap swivels. Well as long no one snatches the camera from you, it should be fine:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.