The air covering manila

Status
Not open for further replies.

leyo04

Jan 8, 2007
notice the gray streak. It's the polluted air covering manila coming from factories, poorly maintained jeepneys and buses.

If you look closely, you'll faintly see the buildings.

This was taken in the nearby antipolo hills.

533326056_9cbae25dab.jpg

vertical shot to show the blue sky and the gray polluted air
535247582_25b08557a5.jpg

a closer shot. notice how dense the housing is.
535245602_5d5a0ca797.jpg

Thanks for sharing, can really see the differences in air quality on the high and low level :sweat:

I got curious and googled the "most polluted cities" I got this.

_41758988_pop_pollution_416graph.gif

Manila is not mentioned, I could just imagine the places mentioned below.

got this list as of oct 2006 from this website http://www.livescience.com/environment/061018_polluted_places.html

Linfen, China, where residents say they literally choke on coal dust in the evenings, exemplifies many Chinese cities;

Haina, Dominican Republic, has severe lead contamination because of lead battery recycling, a problem common throughout poorer countries [image];

Ranipet, India, where leather tanning wastes contaminate groundwater with hexavalent chromium, made famous by Erin Brockovich, resulting in water that apparently stings like an insect bite [image];

Mailuu-Suu, Kyrgyzstan, home to nearly 2 million cubic meters of radioactive mining waste that threatens the entire Ferghana valley, one of the most fertile and densely populated areas in Central Asia that also experiences high rates of seismic activity;

La Oroya, Peru, where the metal processing plant, owned by the Missouri-based Doe Run Corporation, leads to toxic emissions of lead;

Dzerzinsk, Russia, one of the country's principal chemical weapons manufacturing sites until the end of the Cold War [image];

Norilsk, Russia, which houses the world's largest heavy metals smelting complex;

Rudnaya Pristan, Russia, where lead contamination resulted in child blood lead levels eight to 20 times maximum allowable U.S. levels;

Chernobyl, Ukraine, infamous site of a nuclear meltdown 20 years ago; and

Kabwe, Zambia, where child blood levels of lead are five to 10 times the allowable EPA maximum [image].

I got curious and googled the "most polluted cities" I got this.

_41758988_pop_pollution_416graph.gif

Manila is not mentioned, I could just imagine the places mentioned below.

got this list as of oct 2006 from this website http://www.livescience.com/environment/061018_polluted_places.html

Linfen, China, where residents say they literally choke on coal dust in the evenings, exemplifies many Chinese cities;

Haina, Dominican Republic, has severe lead contamination because of lead battery recycling, a problem common throughout poorer countries [image];

Ranipet, India, where leather tanning wastes contaminate groundwater with hexavalent chromium, made famous by Erin Brockovich, resulting in water that apparently stings like an insect bite [image];

Mailuu-Suu, Kyrgyzstan, home to nearly 2 million cubic meters of radioactive mining waste that threatens the entire Ferghana valley, one of the most fertile and densely populated areas in Central Asia that also experiences high rates of seismic activity;

La Oroya, Peru, where the metal processing plant, owned by the Missouri-based Doe Run Corporation, leads to toxic emissions of lead;

Dzerzinsk, Russia, one of the country's principal chemical weapons manufacturing sites until the end of the Cold War [image];

Norilsk, Russia, which houses the world's largest heavy metals smelting complex;

Rudnaya Pristan, Russia, where lead contamination resulted in child blood lead levels eight to 20 times maximum allowable U.S. levels;

Chernobyl, Ukraine, infamous site of a nuclear meltdown 20 years ago; and

Kabwe, Zambia, where child blood levels of lead are five to 10 times the allowable EPA maximum [image].

from 4th to 41st there's big gap. Manila could b in between there. I'm from Jakarta.. i cant remember when the last time i can see blue sky there.:sweat:

from 4th to 41st there's big gap. Manila could b in between there. I'm from Jakarta.. i cant remember when the last time i can see blue sky there.:sweat:

I yeah. didn't notice that. :sweat:

got this... http://www.blacksmithinstitute.org/ten.php it's as of 2006. But these are not limited to cities...

Chernobyl, Ukraine
Dzerzhinsk, Russia
Haina, Dominican Republic
Kabwe, Zambia
La Oroya, Peru
Linfen, China
Maiuu Suu, Kyrgyzstan
Norilsk, Russia
Ranipet, India
Rudnaya Pristan/Dalnegorsk, Russia

If I may contribute a Manila pollution shot too (I'll delete it if you think it's piggybacking on your thread):

mountain.jpg

If I may contribute a Manila pollution shot too (I'll delete it if you think it's piggybacking on your thread):

mountain.jpg

no biggie buddy. The hills in the background, that's the place where I took the shot. The place is called Antipolo Hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.