The Accidental Artist—The Journey from IT to Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

janshim

Dec 17, 2006
www.shimworld.com
Life is all about embracing change. It may not always be possible but if you want it bad enough, it can happen if you stay determined. As a former IT professional in Brunei working for ST (yes that ST you know so well), I wanted out after 13 years. On the last day of serving my obligatory resignation notice, I was still wondering with some uneasiness if I had made the right decision to leave a permanent job to pursue "other" interests. I declined promotion offers to Managing Director three years in a row and stayed at Operations Manager till the day I walked out and never looked back!

4 years on and looking back, and still not knowing what made me do what I did, I braved the element of surprise by following my instincts to do what I wanted. My wife's support was basically what made this possible to begin with and everybody else I met afterwards made my journey into freelance photography truly memorable.

In the early years of building one portfolio after another and finally have more than a handful of life changing events, I found Dec 31, 2007 an appropriate time and opportunity to document this on my blog to share with anyone who aspires to become a professional photographer!

Here is my story http://shimworld.wordpress.com/2007/12/31/looking-back-a-time-to-reflect/

I have only one wish and that's to inspire and give hope to many who are thinking along the lines of a career switch. It has not been all fun and play and I'm taking things one day at a time!

Very inspiring indeed :thumbsup:! I don't think it's accidental... it's your destiny written in the stars!

Inspiring indeed. I believe it's just what you can do if you reach for your dreams.
Having passion in what you do is so important. Money is one thing, quality of life is another.

I too am in IT. God knows what the future holds, but I guess taking things a step at a time like u said is one way to go.
All the best for your career man!

Status
Not open for further replies.