The "81A warming filter"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eunene

Feb 8, 2007
Hi,

I've been googling online and reading articles about the 81A Warming Filter.

Example of article : http://www.vividlight.com/articles/304.htm

What do you guys make of it? It sounds like a really useful filter and I thought of getting it as my first filter...aside from the UV one that protects my lens la...

Anybody already using it? Can give me some practical advice?
Would it be useful for indoor portraits and shots?

Thanks folks! Your advice always greatly appreciated.

Eu

the warming filter was necessary back in film days because you couldn't adjust colour temperature after taking a shot. Nowadays, by shooting in RAW, you can adjust the colour temperature till it's perfect later on your computer. So yup... it's a big waste of money

I own a DSLR...but I don't shoot in RAW leh.
So basically I use photoshop to adjust the colours ya?

Any convenient tricks out there to help me produce these "warmer" shots.
Cos I not very good with photoshop. But if must learn...then bo pian la...haha!

1. open your image
2. add new layer
3. fill that new layer with a warm tone
4. change the transparency of that new layer to the desired amount

alternatively you can also use other blending mode to achieve your desired effect
you can also use the hue to change the colour

experiment

or if you have CS4 you can change the colour temp. of your shot just like a raw file

photoshop has a warming filter option that you can apply and adjust to get the colour if you don't want to shoot RAW. which version of photoshop you're running? (I may not be of much help cos I only have elements 6)

Don't anyhow apply changes to colour temperature until you have calibrated your monitor... else everything may look nice and warm to you until you get a nasty surprise when you print your photos or view them from another monitor.

photoshop has a warming filter option that you can apply and adjust to get the colour if you don't want to shoot RAW. which version of photoshop you're running? (I may not be of much help cos I only have elements 6)

I'm not that professional. Just starting out and looking to create nice images for myself and my friends and family.
So if elements works...and I can use it...I will. Means I have to buy it...haha...how much is it?
I find photoshop...very intimidating...and hoping to use simpler software to understand the concepts first before advancing to another level with photoshop.

Already from talking to you guys...Ive learnt a fair bit.

I'm not that professional. Just starting out and looking to create nice images for myself and my friends and family.
So if elements works...and I can use it...I will. Means I have to buy it...haha...how much is it?
I find photoshop...very intimidating...and hoping to use simpler software to understand the concepts first before advancing to another level with photoshop.

Already from talking to you guys...Ive learnt a fair bit.

Don't let the word "PHOTOSHOP" intimidate u! Having photoshop or using photoshop is not exclusively for the pros. Althought pros do use them. Juz that they use them at a totally whole new level....

Photoshop is a very useful tool. Learn to use it well, it will aid u in almost all of your post-processing works in the future. Otherwise, learn the ropes of photography and get it right the first time round. The latter's gonna be way harder and needs much more practice.....

My advice to u is, to get a friend who knows the basics of photoshop to coach u. U juz need to know the basics. From there, explore photoshop by urself. U tend to better rmb what u did before thru exploration instead of guidence. And dun forget to buy your friend lunch for his/her efforts!:bsmilie:

Elements how much i dunno. But CS4 web premium cost $99 if u r a student. Do not use for commercial purpose thou. U will be violating the educational license....

Status
Not open for further replies.