The 16MB outing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wormz777

Nov 3, 2002
N/A
Objective: To encourage better phototaking practises, especially among digital users

Target participants: Photographers who are seriously more interested in improving their pictures than their camera gears

D-Day: 12/02/2005 (Sat)

H-hour: 0830

Equipment: Digital camera or DSLR with only one lens + 16MB memory card.

Rules of the game: Everyone will start shooting together at H-hour. Own time own target. You got 2 hours to finish your 16MB memory and print it out at the nearby fujifilm outlet using the instant print machine. NO DELETION OF IMAGES DURING THE OUTING IS ALLOWED The aim is to make every shot count. After completion, head to designated place, sit down, drink kopi and discuss the pictures.

Of cos, since the place and time has already been announced, you can come join anytime. But i am hoping for a small crowd of probably 6 so that the group is more conducive to learning and discussion.

All said, I dun really expect anyone to come in a big photographic bag stuffed with big lenses and all. Just a camera and a open mind to learn and enjoy the morning :)

I will PM the 6 boys and girls once the list is filled to give you more information.

List
1) wormz777
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

16mb... think i must set to non-fine, low res mode liao... all those with 1DsMkII cannot join... cos they limited to take 2 shots at most... hehehe...

can know WHEN? as in the day?

Sorry.. the point is to shoot less, think more. I must enforce everyone must shoot at highest resolution jpeg.. thanks for the reminder. :)

wow.. like giving a sniper 2 bullets and tell them to kill a battalion... ;p

anyway, sounds like real fun! count me in, but i have to see the date, might not make it otherwise...

great idea :thumbsup:

don't think i'll be free on Saturday, will inform you if i can come, meanwhile goodluck to organising this meaningful photo-shoot

i don't have a 16MB card but a 1GB & 2GB card. :bigeyes:

edwinywh said:
Play punk ah u....
:cry: i have a 8MB canon CF card, but my camera says its full and shows 0000 frames available. :bigeyes:

wah.. liddat best to bring a D30 liao..

Thanks guys for upping the thread for me, but please refrain from posting irrelevant posts here.

If interested, just put your name down. I will be happy to answer any questions with regards to this outing.

i think instead of limiting the CF card size (not everyone got 16MB CF card and it is difficult to catch pple deleteing pic also), u all can gaffer the LCD so that one cannot chimp after the pic has taken.

somemore different camera generate different file size, even everyone shoot at large jpeg the number of shots u can store will be different. probably it is easier if u make only the first 12 shots counted? can check the file name to see if any pic was delete

hope that this is not too OT :p

Haha.. this is not a competition, so if u want to flout the rules and choose not have the "film" experience, then go ahead... its all up to the integrity of the photographer. Then I would suggest you just go ahead and and take pictures with your own friends since what you are looking for is just a group of kakis to shoot together.

In this outing, I am just asking for like-minded people who believes that this method can help them to shoot more conscientiously and carefully. I feel this is especially beneficial to those who have become so used to shooting like machine guns without much thoughts put into their pictures. It gives them a chance to slow down and think before pressing the shutter and I think its going to be quite fun!

I personally haven tried this before, so even if this dun work out, i'm sure we can still enjoy the shoot... oh yes, and the kopi together!

Do not have any 16Mb cards now. Perhaps I can shoot 16 photos instead? :D
I am flexible with the rules, just let me know :)

List
1) wormz777
2) icarus :devil:
3)
4)
5)
6)

The 16 MB card is indeed an uncommon commodity now. It is definitely a good outing to encourage and practice discipline on shooting quality shots. These days I often shoot as little as I can, so that less time is spent on editing the photos. And when during shooting, if I don't get a good hunch about the shot I'm about to take, I would refrain from pressing the shutter button fully.

Unfortunately, I've got an ubin outing this sat with a bunch of other CS comrades.

Wow, amazing. The last time I suggested someone to use a 128mb card for his 6mp DSLR he rubbished it off, saying he needs to keep the good and the bad.

Good luck in organising this outing, it's a good idea, though my suggestion is not a 16mb card, since 16mb can contain different number of photos for different cameras, but to set a number of photos participants are allowed to take. I think 12 photos is a good number.

YSLee said:
Wow, amazing. The last time I suggested someone to use a 128mb card for his 6mp DSLR he rubbished it off, saying he needs to keep the good and the bad.

Good luck in organising this outing, it's a good idea, though my suggestion is not a 16mb card, since 16mb can contain different number of photos for different cameras, but to set a number of photos participants are allowed to take. I think 12 photos is a good number.
I concur. One can easily verify if the images were deleted by looking at the filenames. The 12/16/whatever numbers should be sequential, (e.g. DSC_9104, DSC_9105, 9106, 9107 etc) any skip would mean deletion.

Limiting the card size is not so feasible - a 2mp camera user will be able to shoot a lot more to choose from, and the lucky guy with the 1Ds mkII shooting in RAW probably couldn't even manage 2.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.