That old building

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamergod

Feb 9, 2009
Fratton Park, Portsmouth
DSC_7458-1.jpg

1.in what area is critique to be sought?

I will like feedback on post processing techniques.
I have done the following post processing because I want to show the age of this shophouse and instead of using the common b&w,I added a yellow/orange tint to the picture to make it feel mummy years.

2.what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I want viewers to feel the age of the building.Through the picture,I showed the ageing window and the ageing house with no renovation done.

3.under what circumstance is the picture taken?
I had to take a snapshot coz the shop owner was ranting me for taking a picture of the building.I knew that by law,I have every rights to take the picture,but I did not want to stir up troubles.

4.what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

Personally, I like this picture because the post process really suited the picture and I managed to capture the age of the building.I feel that the picture can be better if the window face directly at me,not facing away.

Last edited:
Old wall/old window perhaps..

I thought i will see a building here - think of a better name ba.
If you really want to portray an old building this is not gd enough for me

It could have worked a little better if you aligned the camera to face the wall straight from the front.

All in all, composition needs a lot of work. In this shot, post-processing is a non-issue as the composition is already too weak.

Try it differently another time.

1. shoving elements at the far side of frame is generally not a good idea.

2. angle on window not the best, straight is optimal.

3. do you think your vignetting works? it doesn't for me. it seems gimmicky, and should be left out.

4. why is the yellow cloth cropped?

1. shoving elements at the far side of frame is generally not a good idea.

2. angle on window not the best, straight is optimal.

3. do you think your vignetting works? it doesn't for me. it seems gimmicky, and should be left out.

4. why is the yellow cloth cropped?

The yellow cloth isnt cropped big fits the frame if u see carefully:bsmilie:

The yellow cloth isnt cropped big fits the frame if u see carefully:bsmilie:

orly?

well, a picture says a thousand words

Untitled-133.jpg

even if you insist that the entire cloth is inside, which it certainly is not, unless you are trying to revolutionise the idea of "fits the frame"..

there is not enough space around the bottom of it, and too little space on top of the window at that.

please refer to point 1 about shoving elements in edges of frame.

orly?

well, a picture says a thousand words

Untitled-133.jpg

even if you insist that the entire cloth is inside, which it certainly is not, unless you are trying to revolutionise the idea of "fits the frame"..

there is not enough space around the bottom of it, and too little space on top of the window at that.

please refer to point 1 about shoving elements in edges of frame.

ok :) will bear in mind

You need to work on your composition.I don't really think PP is gonna help if your composition is weak.

I generally agree with the comments above - work a bit on composition. Look for placing things on the third lines in the frame, and generally keeping windows straight and not cropping elements at the frame edge is best.

But, re post-processing particularly . . . I think it looks sort of cloudy and flat, and not at all "ancient". I recommend if you're going for an old look to bump up the contrast quite a bit, and let as much of the grain in the image come out as possible. It seems like maybe you tried to create a soft focus effect or something, and that's the wrong direction to go in my opinion.

I also agree the vignette is too pronounced and therefore too obvious (and a little "gimmicky").

Good news . . . you can try again! I'd bet an old wall like that isn't going anywhere soon.

If you had look/explore/search hard enough, there should be some houses which are more "aged" than this.
With its nicely plastered and white washed walls, despite some cracks hear and there, plus the timber window are still nicely intact ( bcoz there are no falloff window pane or cracked paint work etc) so it is unable to reflect the title accurately.

And also in Singapore, I doubt you can really find buildings that dated back to " mummy years ". The most...prewar time or colonial, would be lucky if can find houses on stilts.

Post processing or anything, I have no objection, it's just like adding flavour to one's food. But if the cooking is good, original taste will be best. ( no additional artificial flavour is required and it's more healthy too. )

If you'd taken the Flyer during the day, you can observe that several of the bolts and nuts there are having rusty stains flowing down the tubular frame, and this piece of structure is quite new.

Last edited:
Am I weird? I like the way he compose this photo. Don't know why, it just appeals to me. Very unique!

this is Critique Corner and if you have nothing substantial or helpful to post, then just read through and look at the fotos.

appreciate if the O.Ts are kept away.

meanwhile all O.Ts are deleted.

I want viewers to feel the age of the building.Through the picture,I showed the ageing window and the ageing house with no renovation done.

if you want people to feel the age, let it age more.

give it a little grain and desaturate it a little.

here's what I've done. I added a dark blue exclusion layer and some adjustment layers in photoshop. I've also added grain, desaturated it and removed some of the vignette.
please tell me if you want this removed.
yellow.jpg

good one.

there was abit of vignetting on his original photo.

i feel that cracks need to be sharper for there to be a 'feel'.

My suggestion for having more defined cracks was just one of the directions in which this photo can go. It's not the only solution though, as others have also pointed out good creative ways at enhancing the photo. In my humble opinion, we can try to 'add' more detail. Cracks seemed to be a good place to start if we wanted to highlight the age of the building because the nuances in the paint (slight variations in light/ dark etc) has given way to the 'glow' / 'fog' effect. Lightening the high noon shadow in the window area would be another way to go, then also tweaking the perspective to see if another crop can be done. Of course this is not photography anymore but post-processing. (sorry if i offend anyone : ) ! )

My suggestion for having more defined cracks was just one of the directions in which this photo can go. It's not the only solution though, as others have also pointed out good creative ways at enhancing the photo. In my humble opinion, we can try to 'add' more detail. Cracks seemed to be a good place to start if we wanted to highlight the age of the building because the nuances in the paint (slight variations in light/ dark etc) has given way to the 'glow' / 'fog' effect. Lightening the high noon shadow in the window area would be another way to go, then also tweaking the perspective to see if another crop can be done. Of course this is not photography anymore but post-processing. (sorry if i offend anyone : ) ! )

nope, actually i find your thread informative and helpful

read the critiques but do not take them to heart....

There is no "right" way of taking a photo.
If everyone was to follow all the rules of making a good photograph, wun all photo end up the same?

Reading the critique corner always made me wonder on "when can i break the rules?" "When do i follow the rules"

Anyway keep on shooting! :)

true that there's no right way but if u want to shoot at an angle then u have to go frm a peculiar angle which is unconventional. right now it seems more like a miss than a hit. its like you walk past a window and you snapped it without properly choosing the best angle.

my 2 cents... nevertheless... keep shooting and posting... that's how we learn... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.