That irriating click sound....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lensman

Feb 12, 2002
Singapore & Hong Kong
Looking at another CS member works on a recent concert reminds me of this incident.

Was at the Raffles Hotel Jubilie Hall, watch a performance. It was a singing performance with some acts involved.

There are this young lady with a rather fierce looking Nikon DSLR, flash and a mono-pod. During the performance, she was clicking away. The shuttle sound is rather loud and distracting. Can't remember if she used the flashed.

So irriating to the point that I felt like standing up, stop the performance and ask her to stop clicking.

I don't really care if she was the official photographer or not. But to distrib my enjoyment of the performance is definately RUDE.

Do I have the right to do so ?

Perhaps I should bring my Metz 60 flash and attached a slave to it. Everytime she snaped, the flash triggers..... deep frying her shots. If she wanted to ruin my evening, i shall return the favour with interest.

i did remember once, long time ago, before the avalance of DSLR or Digicam.
there was a photographer at one performance, all I heard was a very soft click. That was negible click. Like the taping of the keyboard, used to write this message.

It was a Lecia M3 ? Those rangefinder thingy. really quiet. And no flash...

Yeah, I did saw the works later at a promotional poster. GOOD work.

as annoying as "clicks", they cant possibly be as completely irritating as a handphone going off at full volume, and with the idiot carrying on a conversation while the movie/concert/performance is going on. :thumbsd:

Lensman said:
There are this young lady with a rather fierce looking Nikon DSLR, flash and a mono-pod. During the performance, she was clicking away. The shuttle sound is rather loud and distracting. Can't remember if she used the flashed.
Perhaps I should bring my Metz 60 flash and attached a slave to it. Everytime she snaped, the flash triggers..... deep frying her shots. If she wanted to ruin my evening, i shall return the favour with interest.
Haha.. Nikon, as usual. My Nikon F90X made alot of noise too. It "attracts" attention meh! Hehe.. OK, frankly, I have friends who switched from Nikon to Canon becos of the clicking sound. They said that whenever they are taking events eg ROM ceremonies, their Nikon's clicking sound tend to attract alot of noise!

I like the idea you proposed! Imagine her embarrassment and anger as well!

Unfortunately this is one irritating characteristic of SLR!

I think the other patrons in the performance will likewide be annoyed. I would politely ask her to stop her photography. For promotional photographs of performances, the photos are usualy taken during full rehearsal.

Anyway there is a reason why cameras like the Leica M can be allowed (not talking about this particular case) when SLRs are not. But I think the mamiya 6/6 and the rolleiflex TLR are even more quiet!

But not all rangefinder are the same! The Contax rangefinder, while quiet while shooting, creates such a racket at the end of the roll that the dead would be woken up!

I don't think I will insult the photographer if I tell her to stop. Or at least let the organizer know. However, some people just don't have manners....

eric69 said:
Haha.. Nikon, as usual. My Nikon F90X made alot of noise too. It "attracts" attention meh! Hehe.. OK, frankly, I have friends who switched from Nikon to Canon becos of the clicking sound. They said that whenever they are taking events eg ROM ceremonies, their Nikon's clicking sound tend to attract alot of noise!
Have you heard the sound of an EOS-3? I had to sell mine and downgrade to a quiet model primarily because of the noise it makes. For that matter, I heard the EOS-1Ds. D*mn! It is really loud.

sriram said:
Have you heard the sound of an EOS-3? I had to sell mine and downgrade to a quiet model primarily because of the noise it makes. For that matter, I heard the EOS-1Ds. D*mn! It is really loud.
Haha.. I anticipated that! Haha.. I guess at the end of the day, when the environment is too quiet, any minute sound can be seen as being a large sound e.g. drop of pin.

Cheers.

You guys heard the 20D slap? I was trying out the burst mode from a 2nd story balcony, shooting my friend downstairs. Well, everybody looked up :what:

where got so loud.... = . - !!!

Lensman said:
Looking at another CS member works on a recent concert reminds me of this incident.

Was at the Raffles Hotel Jubilie Hall, watch a performance. It was a singing performance with some acts involved.

So irriating to the point that I felt like standing up, stop the performance and ask her to stop clicking.

I don't really care if she was the official photographer or not. But to distrib my enjoyment of the performance is definately RUDE.

Do I have the right to do so ?

it is irritating to you eh? Do you turn on your handphone in MRT? Do you converse in mrt with your handphone? To me, it is very irritating. I feel like shouting " turn off your phone, your ring tone sucks."

ninelives said:
it is irritating to you eh? Do you turn on your handphone in MRT? Do you converse in mrt with your handphone? To me, it is very irritating. I feel like shouting " turn off your phone, your ring tone sucks."
:D but u're not paying to enjoy a vocal performance on a train what. sort of offtrack, although both have no avenues of redress the camerawoman was directly interfering with the point of the event.
wonder if they still have the secu walking around with BURPing walkietalkies.
unless while talking on the phone the person accidentally leans on the emergency STOP button then ok la.
imagine u paying top price to sit in front at a concert then the photographer keep walking in front of you. same.

satan_18349 said:
haa....try a F401s/x...woo..... :bsmilie:

If you think that is loud.. wait till you hear the mirror slap of my F3....
But then if its a performance I may decide to use my Rollei 35 ... very little noise.

FiveIronFrenzy said:
You guys heard the 20D slap? I was trying out the burst mode from a 2nd story balcony, shooting my friend downstairs. Well, everybody looked up :what:

Maybe you woke up some people in JB too :bsmilie:

What about those who has the "beep" on for their camera? Turn on - beep - autofocus - beep - shoot a shot - beep and simulated click-clack - darn bad settings, evkoe menu - beep - scroll through menu - beep beep beep beep - select - beep - select more - beep beep - return to shooting mode - beep - blah blah.

I get this VERY often when I shoot videos for weddings. And when the camera man is the bride's father, you should really shut up! Hahaha. And when I deliver the goods to them, well... "what's that beeping sound?" "not mine" "then why you recorded it" "it's your father's camera..."

FiveIronFrenzy said:

looked up becoz it was a 20D. :bsmilie:

I dunno, maybe I'm too used to the eos30 and 10d. I remember the eos 30 being so quiet that I didn't even know it when it rewinded itself after my first roll with it. :bsmilie:

Sometimes I like a loud shutter. The feeling very shiok, esp when you crazy with burst like at an outdoor sports event. But sometimes like in situations mentioned above, ANY noise is no good.

Not only the shutter, some lenses goes 'zzzzzzz Tok! zzzzzzz Tok!' when they try to focus!!! Wah shiok!! :bsmilie:

The EOS 3 is really loud...
I was trying out my PB-E2 in a crowded Mac restaurant. When I pressed the shutter on high-speed drive, the camera went...

"PLAK,PLAK,PLAK,PLAK,PLAK!!!"

The whole restaurant was like looking at me siah....

ahhh... praktica MTL 50, mirror slap is ok, but shutter goes "PLICK-PLOCK" that can be heard above the sound of traffic over the Benjamin Shearers Bridge.

not a camera to bring to concerts or performances.

Status
Not open for further replies.