Thaipusam This Sat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick

May 17, 2002
Singapore
www.derrickchoo.com
For those interested, thaipusam is this coming saturday (18 Jan). From what i heard, morning is normally mainly for those carrying milk pots, children, women, etc. Those people carrying the big kavadis are in the afternoon. Route is standard, from the temple in serangoon road to the one in tank road. I'm probably going to tag along with one of my indian frens and his family.

isn't it this Sunday? according to http://www.visitorsguide.com.sg/culture2.htm

19 January 2003
Thaipusam
Witness the faith, devotion and religious fervour of Hindu devotees at this dramatic festival. On this day, the birthday of Lord Murugan, devotees pierce their tongues with skewers and carry 'kavadis' (a semi-circular metal structure) on their shoulders as a mark of thanksgiving and penance. Other devotees pull chariots with their bare bodies while spikes and hooks are embedded in their backs. Venue: Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple and Sri Thandayuthapani

anwyay whatever the day, i'm keen to go down and snap snap. anyone interested? let's start a list...

1. Larry
2. ...
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...

Its on saturday (http://www.heb.gov.sg/festivals.html). Cannot be my fren and his family going to carry the milk pot on the wrong day. :) I'll be going very early in the morning with them but can join you all later on in the day. I think they will finish by around 9 or 10am. Usually they go home and rest then come back later in the afternoon to view the big kavadis.

I'm still trying to find out more. Especially when it comes to taking photos cos dun want to end up offending people.

if you go to the website that Simon has provided.
The whole thing actually start on 17 Jan 2003 to 18 Jan 2003.

;)

GREAT! This is what I call it a FEAST for photographers. I will go and shoot, but alone (so I can be more concentrated). Meet you guys on street. :p

Originally posted by Larry
IPPT not whole day what...

:kok:

You want me to go shoot all the leftover rubbish in the afternoon?? With my swollen legs?? :cry:

anwyay whatever the day, i'm keen to go down and snap snap. anyone interested? let's start a list...

1. Larry
2. Dagger
3. ...
4. ...
5. ...

Originally posted by togu
You want me to go shoot all the leftover rubbish in the afternoon?? With my swollen legs?? :cry:
one word for you my fren... "amsee" :devil: :D

Originally posted by Wolfgang
Larry, can confirm date, time and place to meet please? :)
i would, but i'm looking at the HEB webpage and i'm thoroughly confused.... i don't understand the different services like "Paalkudam", "Paalkavadi" and the abbreviations like SSPT and STT. any indian friends here care to enlighten?

anyway if i'm reading this right, this is a overnight procession beginning the night of 17th all through to 18th afternoon 5pm. don't think we all wanna camp overnight for so long so i'm trying to find the best time (and lighting) for photog. think Sunday afternoon is the best bet.

1. Larry
2. Dagger
3. Wolfgang
4. Digipix
5. Knighthunter
6. Scanner

Reminder to Larry we need to go to Toy Factory at 2.15 Sat......

1. Larry
2. Dagger
3. Wolfgang
4. Digipix
5. Knighthunter
6. Scanner
7. kh73

Larry, 18th should be on Saturday right?

Status
Not open for further replies.