Thaipusam 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh no. Hockey tornament.

To all fellow noobs, this is a MUST go..
Esp. for those who likes dramatic portraits.

Remembr to bring.
* BAG/plastic bag to keep your shoes with you before entering the temple bare-footed.
Of course u can also leave it at the gates, together with the other thousand pairs...lol:)

TS, Thanks for Sharing :)

Thanks for sharing..cheers!!!!!!

Hi the eve is on 29?

What time do the 'main events' take place? And does it occur in the temple or along the roads outside?

Too lazy to browse the details, seems like can take the wonderful lights on the eve, and then the piercing, fire walkling on the day?
Any experienced snappers can advise further?

Actually nothing much happens on the Eve of Thaipusam. If you want to capture the real colours and the dramatic portraits, head on down the temple @ Serangoon road) around 11ish in the morning and hang around till 3ish in the noon. After that proceed to the temple @ Tank Road to capture even more dramatic portraits in the evening. My advice to you is to stick to the temple @ Serangoon Road, that's where most of the shutter bugs will find their cameras and lens useful! Cheers!

Head down on the 30th. Jan 30th is the main event. 29th is the eve, that's when many of the devotees head down to offer prayers and those carrying milk pots need to "reserve" their places in the temples.

Head down on the 30th. Jan 30th is the main event. 29th is the eve, that's when many of the devotees head down to offer prayers and those carrying milk pots need to "reserve" their places in the temples.

Would they really start the proceedings at the stroke of midnite?

Regards

Prayers and offerings would start as early as 9pm in the temple (prayers will be ongoing till the last devotee carrying the milkpot leaves the temple) and by 2-3am, devotees carrying milkpots have to leave the temple @ Serangoon Road. So, it isnt technically at the stroke of mid nite that the prayers start.

This is my first time at Thaipusam. I am interesting in seeing and photographing the piercings and fire walking. When do these events occur and where? Other than bringing a bag for my shoes to enter the temple, is there anything else that I should be aware of?

What i heard from my indian fren, the Thaipusam starts exactly 12 midnight on 30th Jan 2010. The Temple at serangoon road will allow every one to start from that time onwards. The devotees carry Milk pots will start to move out from that time. The KAVADI or the spike procession starts from 4 am onwards. Whole event lasts till midnight on the same day. My indian fren advice is to go between morning to afternoon, you will still be able to see the KAVADI. To avoid the crowd and still see the KAVADI will be in the late afternoon which has lesser crowd.

One more timing to take will be in the evening after 7pm when some guys will deco their KAVADIs with bright colourful lights. But this is subjected to individual, not all will deco their KAVADIs... so depend on yr luck too..

O... btw, there is no fire walking for a Thaipusam... fire walking is held in oct... :)

Last edited:
So that means if we head down in the morning or afternoon of 30th, should be able to get some nice views :D Depends on the crowd though...
Can't wait :)

hi gnohz, yupz.. you are correct... i oso looking fwd to that day... my 1st time too... :D

Some updates, seeing the interest here.

Big tents are almost all up and ready to serve the devotees and attendees.

From other threads, got to know that body piercing will start at 3am and the sequence of events just keep going on and on for the whole day on 30 Jan.

There will be road closure so do check LTA for more information.

Bring ur own bag to keep your slippers or sandals as no footwear is allowed in the temple. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.