Thaipusam 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

thw

Deregistered
Dec 21, 2004
Thaipusam 2007 falls on 1-Feb.

Has anyone shot this event before? I will most DEFINITELY be there. But where do I go and what time should I be there? :dunno:

Just a couple of months ago, I wanted to shoot the firewalking event, but got the wrong info and ended up missing the opportunity. Sigh....

Will old birds kindly give some advice? :bsmilie: Many thanks in advance.

quoting from http://sam11.moe.gov.sg/racialharmony/PrimarySchool/articles_thaipusam.html

The Procession

In Singapore, this Hindu festival starts at the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple at Serangoon Road. The kavadi carriers, together with their relatives, friends and well-wishers congregate here in the morning to participate in the procession which will take them through Serangoon Road, Orchard Road and finally to the Sri Thendayuthapani Temple, commonly known as the Murugan Temple at Tank Road or Chettiar's Temple. All along the way, devotees chant hymns in praise of the deity. The kavadi carriers' arrival at the Murugan Temple at Tank Road marks the accomplishment of their task. A mixture of fruits and honey is prepared and distributed among the devotees.

and some pictures from last year's coverage http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=177972

Shot that last year... this year, plan of making a trip to Batu Caves in KL... should be a great procession there...

starts from mid-night and ends next day almost mid night.

for good sun light, try go to Serangoon Rd temple in the morning, 8/9am.
can follow them along the route, otherwise proceed to Tank Rd temple for the ending of the possession.

and bring a bag that can contain your footwear as well when entering the temples

Was there last year..it starts midnite till abt 8pm when the last devotee left the temple..need to remove footwear when entering the temple but plastic bags are provided so that u can keep your footwear. Drinks are also provided. Might be coming this year as requested by a fren of mine(devotee). Take note that the earlier devotees do not carry the cavadi(spelling?) Devotees carrying the cavadi starts mid-day if i'm not wrong.;)

Shot that last year... this year, plan of making a trip to Batu Caves in KL... should be a great procession there...

i think of making this trip to batu caves too, so is the events start real early?

Just want to add one more thing to note.

It is great that you like photography and want to capture scene that will take place during the Thaipusam. Hobbist, noobies or amatuer should take note to be always respectful when you go around shooting your pictures. For you it is day out shooting shots, for the devotees it is a very special day of tribute. Don't be like some of those idiots I have seen who steps right infront of the Kavadi carrier and start shooting away and block the devotee from moving forward. Hovering too close to a particular subject, getting in the way and start shooting while ignoring the devotee's family and friends who are there to lend support from keeping close proximity to the devotee. When in doubt if you allowed to shoot or not shoot in any parts of the temple always ask and don't just be barging in. Being new to such places like the temple alway be mindful to ask and you will be surpirse how much more you could shoot when people are relax around you. You create tension and people around you picks up on it, that scene will not be a good place to photography anything.

I am putting this piece of advice here on behalf of indian friends who in previous years have had not so good experiences dealing with over zealous wannabe photographers aka Sunday Shooters.

Just want to add one more thing to note.

It is great that you like photography and want to capture scene that will take place during the Thaipusam. Hobbist, noobies or amatuer should take note to be always respectful when you go around shooting your pictures. For you it is day out shooting shots, for the devotees it is a very special day of tribute. Don't be like some of those idiots I have seen who steps right infront of the Kavadi carrier and start shooting away and block the devotee from moving forward. Hovering too close to a particular subject, getting in the way and start shooting while ignoring the devotee's family and friends who are there to lend support from keeping close proximity to the devotee. When in doubt if you allowed to shoot or not shoot in any parts of the temple always ask and don't just be barging in. Being new to such places like the temple alway be mindful to ask and you will be surpirse how much more you could shoot when people are relax around you. You create tension and people around you picks up on it, that scene will not be a good place to photography anything.

I am putting this piece of advice here on behalf of indian friends who in previous years have had not so good experiences dealing with over zealous wannabe photographers aka Sunday Shooters.

Nice say. Its a religious event after all.
Long lens help.

Morning lighting is very good, with deep blue sky, this few days. Hope it stay this way til 1 Feb, it will make a great day outing.

It starts getting very busy in Batu Cave now.:)
374010788_2cdf205b83.jpg

374010786_38578ccec4.jpg

374010785_98c54331e4.jpg

Can somebody post the schedule:

some says 31st Jan start of thaipusam Fest??:confused:

whats happening on the 1st Feb then?? when is the date of the procession? and the Skewing rite (not the correct term but this is what i mean).

Can somebody post the schedule:

some says 31st Jan start of thaipusam Fest??:confused:

whats happening on the 1st Feb then?? when is the date of the procession? and the Skewing rite (not the correct term but this is what i mean).

It start at 0001 hrs to 2359hrs 1 feb.

can someone share how is the schedule? they will start the parade in the morning? any ceremony start from midnight?

hm.. i'm thinking to shoot this event too.. what happens in the morning/evening? i have class tt day so only can shoot from morning till 0930 or after 1830. would i have missed the event?

can someone share how is the schedule? they will start the parade in the morning? any ceremony start from midnight?

There are no fix schedule, best to go in the early morning..

Status
Not open for further replies.