Not open for further replies.

Simon

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP
simon.clubsnap.org
Canon EOS D30 70-200L f/2.8 @ f/5.6

The most dramatic Indian festival is Thaipusam. Devotees go through a strict and careful spirittual preparation before embarking on a ritual journey of penitential selfmutilation. They pierce their bodies with metal hooks supporting heavy structures called kavadis decorated with peacock feathers and offerings.

In their tranced state, not a drop of blood is shed as they process from the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple in Serangoon Road to the Sri Thandayuthapani Temple in Tank Road.

CRW_0070L.jpg

CRW_0098L.jpg

CRW_0111L.jpg

CRW_0124L.jpg

Singapore has a substantial Hindu community. About 6% of the 3 million people in Singapore are Hindu.

The Hindu people are intense about their religion, and take some extraordinary measures to display their devotion.

A good example is the Thaipusam festival.

Thaipusam is the feast for the son of Shiva, Lord Subramaniam. It's celebrated annually, in January or February. In 2002, Thaipusam fell on January 28th.

Lord Subramaniam is the universal granter of wishes.
All those who wish to ask for a future favor, fulfill a vow in return for a granted favor, or to repent for past sins will participate in this festival (basically, all Hindus fall in one of these groups).

great pics! :) really a bit scary to see some of them.... you might want to put R(A) or parental guidance :p

but.... they took too long to load even for a broadband connection. time to increase the level of compression.... should strive to make each pic under 100KB in size....

too nice and the pic look scary ... good post and let us see the shots !!

Hey simon, what time were u there??
I was at little india at about 2-4pm... 4pm onwards I was at the last temple..
Got to go thru my shots... post later..

CRW_0206L.jpg

This shot of yours gives me the creeps... but excellent shot..

Originally posted by willyfoo
Hey simon, what time were u there??
I was at little india at about 2-4pm... 4pm onwards I was at the last temple..
Got to go thru my shots... post later..

I was there with Ricahrd at 6am.

Originally posted by Simon

I was there with Ricahrd at 6am.

Aiyo, never call me!!! :p

I went there alone at 6pm... GOSH... so scary!!! I think I just happened to be at the wrong place... they were removing some hook and BIG needle from this man...

At 6:03pm, I left without even taking out my camera.

Originally posted by vincent

Aiyo, never call me!!! :p

I went there alone at 6pm... GOSH... so scary!!! I think I just happened to be at the wrong place... they were removing some hook and BIG needle from this man...

At 6:03pm, I left without even taking out my camera.

Yes.. some parts are really squirmish.. that's why I tried to take photos that brings out the other aspects of thaipusam...
http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=835

Simon - very well done. A photojournalistic series that captures what Thaipusam is all about.

PS Was there no firewalking? That would have made some dramatic pictures!

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Simon - very well done. A photojournalistic series that captures what Thaipusam is all about.

PS Was there no firewalking? That would have made some dramatic pictures!

Firewalking is not part of Thaipusam. It's another totally different festival. Thimithi (Spelling) is what it's called, I believe.

Great Shots Simon!!! Really like the colors :)

Status
Not open for further replies.