Thaipusam 2002 Ending Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

willyfoo

Jan 18, 2002
North
willyfoo.com
Excited to catch some of the action of Thaipusam 2002, I went to little India first at 2pm... but realised that there wasn't much going on yet, but I managed to spot an old friend, Vanan with his baby.
DSC08932-ThaiPusamVanan.JPG

So I drove down to their final destination of their near 5 kilometre journey, Sri Thandayuthapani Temple. There the devotee's heave a breath of relief as their family and friends remove the kavadis from their bodies.
DSC08953-ThaipusamBeCarefulNow.JPG

Pain is experienced throughout their journey, from the time they pierce their first spokes into their flesh, through their arduous walk, and even more while their kavadi gets removed.
DSC08971-ThaipusamOuch.JPG

While most devotees taking part in Thaipusam are middle aged Indian men, younger boys, ladies and even a few chinese took part in the festival as well.
DSC09064-Thaipusam2Boys.JPG

Devotees would have to endure pain as part of their penance. Some kavadis can weigh up to 50 kilograms. Others would hang ornaments or lime on their body.
DSC09068-ThaipusamHanglingLime.JPG

Crowds of fellow devotees, families, friend, curious onlookers and many tourists follow the entourage during their journey and observe the donning and removal of the piercing spokes and hooks - definitely not for the faint hearted.
DSC09086-Thaipusam3GirlsinHorror.JPG

The festival is not all without moments of cheer and relief. The devotee and their entourage dance to the music and beat of the drums. Chants of encouragement are heard frequently spurring the devotees to hold their faith. In the midst of the pain they have to endure, a smile or two breaks out occasionally.
BSC09103.Thaipusam_Funny.jpg

Drink stations are set up by other devotees as part of their penance. Volunteers hand out free drinks to parched devotees and anyone thirsty. Occasionally onlookers offer their help as well.
DSC09193-ThaipusamTouristsHelping.JPG

Babies are seen with yellow SandalWood Powder on their scalps. It is known to keep their heads cool
BSC09208.Thaipusam_Baby_SandalWood_Powder.jpg

As I was leaving at 6, the procession has not finished yet. In fact, there were many more to come as the crowd along the route thickens.
DSC09245-ThaipusamFromTheTop.JPG

The below picture taken by willy showed some girls feeling the 'pain'...
Err... I think I was much worst!!! COS I dare not even want to go near... :p

Originally posted by willyfoo

Babies are seen with yellow SandalWood Powder on their scalps. It is known to keep their heads cool
DSC09208-ThaipusamBabySandalWoodPowder.JPG

I saw this baby when I was riding home in bus 143!! I tot the father dyed the baby's hair blonde! haha!

The girls in horror shot is absolutely corking. Top stuff.

This is the kind of stuff that will go into our Photo Essays section when the main site is up. Everyone is free to contribute their pieces!! ;)

Great work Willy!! :cool:

Nice shots! Too bad i couldnt go and shoot...got lessons. So near ....yet so far...the procession was going on juz below my sch. @^$^@%($%!&$^!@^)$
:D

Originally posted by Edmund
This is the kind of stuff that will go into our Photo Essays section when the main site is up. Everyone is free to contribute their pieces!! ;)

Great work Willy!! :cool:

So the current photo essays will be moved when the section is up? Or do we have to post all over again?

I bought the Manfrotto 434-SS (Self Standing Monopod) on that day to use it.. very very useful. I also realised the importance of my toolbox.

The last shot was taken with the monopod held above the crowd while I stood on the toolbox. The shot was triggered by remote.

Other times, I used the toolbox to gain the height above the crowd to shoot.

For low shots, I sat on the toolbox rather than kneeling for stability.

Originally posted by vincent
The below picture taken by willy showed some girls feeling the 'pain'...
Err... I think I was much worst!!! COS I dare not even want to go near... :p

errr. doesn't that left girl look like Stella Huang?

Thought I might continue the 2002 thread with the 2003 shots.
I only shot for 1 hour... didn't get many variations.

DSC_2557.Sales.JPG

DSC_2562.Pierced.JPG

DSC_2571.Face.JPG

DSC_2584.urn.JPG

Willy, you did not change the year of your watermarks to 2003. :D

I thought I saw baby photo of El Hadji Diouf of LiverpoolFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.