Thailand, Phuket, Phi Phi Island, Longtail boat - (HDR)

Changster95

Apr 25, 2010
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I want to find out if the public finds this HDR overdone or welldone. My friends have mixed feelings about the extent of my HDR pping. I want to learn from the pros (you guys).

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To showcase the beauty of Phi Phi Island, Phuket, and it's iconic longtail boat, using the HDR effect.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
3 exposures handheld. bright sunny day.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i think this is one of the best HDRs ive made so far and I have tried to balance dynamic range and realism.

Here goes:
5229200886_ba202cbd16_b.jpg

Thanks for comments guys!

Last edited:
WOW, looks like the AVATAR Blu-ray movie ... 3D :thumbsup:

I think the colours are very oversaturated although the exposure is good.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I want to find out if the public finds this HDR overdone or welldone. My friends have mixed feelings about the extent of my HDR pping. I want to learn from the pros (you guys).

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To showcase the beauty of Phi Phi Island, Phuket, and it's iconic longtail boat, using the HDR effect.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
3 exposures handheld. bright sunny day.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
i think this is one of the best HDRs ive made so far and I have tried to balance dynamic range and realism.

Here goes:
5229200886_ba202cbd16_b.jpg

Thanks for comments guys!

I like!

The background and the foreground just doesnt seem to blend. What do you want to focus on actually?
Cause the background is drawing too much attention away from the foreground.

Personally, I quite like this photo. However, what caught my attention when first view it is not the boat, but the dark and fierce cloud. Perhaps if can tone down the cloud color abit, may have different effect.

Last edited:
i thought it would have been nicer if you had taken at a wider angle, to include the two features on the left and right background. it seems like they were cut off from the pict. similarly, i agree with kwttan with regards to the cloud. it takes your attention away from the boat. but overall it's a great shot IMO.

Using a wide will be great since you are shooting infront of the boat, also merging image that did not synchronize will only blur the final image, I notice the island behind is blur. The saturation is too high too, the rock surface get too distinct and lost the natural look. Composition is there, near the front of the boat and havning great clouds. :)

Looks great, not sure if it represents Thailand though as it looks a bit too drastic/dramatic for a beautiful place.

Kind of like putting as much makeup on Miranda Kerr when she clearly does not need them ;-)

Composition wise, i think this is a good picture. My preference would have been to walked a few steps closer to the boat and getting lower on the angle, such that size of the boat appears bigger to balance the size of the rock structures behind better. The exposure is good but the colours are too saturated, the sky looks quite unnatural.

Nice composition!