Thai students encouraged to learn English

ricohflex

Feb 24, 2005
sing
Thai students decreed to speak English - Channel NewsAsia

Smart.
If they achieve widespread English proficiency in Thailand, they will be great competitors to us.
China's population is also keen to learn English. They will catch up fast in 1 generation.

The country that did not encourage widespread learning of English is - Japan.
Japan was very rich, powerful and successful in the 1980s. The hubris got to their heads.
A Japanese Minister even wrote a book named "The Japan That Can Say No".
The attitude was that you must learn Japanese to communicate with them.
They don't learn your language or a common language like English to communicate with you.

So China and South Korea will surpass Japan by as time goes by. You can see it economically already.
Japan's leadership is sometimes behaving like the ancient Chinese Ching Dynasty that led inward-looking China to ruin.

there's more to business than just knowing how to speak english. rather, i would feel that if a nation upgrades itself on a whole new level. cost of hiring will increase as well. skill sets will change due to higher education. who knows. our goods might not be manufactured in those places in 30 years' time

In US and some other western countries, students are learning mandarin ..

I'm bad at chinese, should i be worrying? :/

Smart.
If they achieve widespread English proficiency in Thailand, they will be great competitors to us.
China's population is also keen to learn English. They will catch up fast in 1 generation.

Japan was very rich, powerful and successful in the 1980s. The hubris got to their heads.
They don't learn your language or a common language like English to communicate with you.

So China and South Korea will surpass Japan by as time goes by. You can see it economically already.
Japan's leadership is sometimes behaving like the ancient Chinese Ching Dynasty that led inward-looking China to ruin.

That book was more of stating that Japan is not merely a US "yes-man"; that the US should treat Japan as an equal partner.
And it was the Ming dynasty that started the closed-door policy, not the Qing.

where was that coming from ? you or other source? do you know Japanese languages are very hard and difficult to learn? hell lot harder than English and Chinese. they have to learn :

kanji , hiragana, katakana , The Latin alphabet and grammer of coz. English you only have to learn A-Z ...... i.

if you want to watch Anime /drama without subtitle, learn their languare, not the other way round.

btw, anyone here can speak good Japanese? i looking for good guide, cd, online, with audio. i just came back from Japan and i so regretted that I can't speak/read their language.

Last edited:
That book was more of stating that Japan is not merely a US "yes-man"; that the US should treat Japan as an equal partner.
And it was the Ming dynasty that started the closed-door policy, not the Qing.

Qing dynasty started nothing except the fashionable pig tails. :bsmilie:

[video=youtube;4DgUtE31CT0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DgUtE31CT0[/video]

times have changed. wont be strange to find ang moh businessmen who can speak mandarin and dialects as china is a huge market even for traditional western powers. next growing market is india if not wrong.

ninelives said:
btw, anyone here can speak good Japanese? i looking for good guide, cd, online, with audio. i just came back from Japan and i so regretted that I can't speak/read their language.

Bonrya. Bonnie Parker

where was that coming from ? you or other source? do you know Japanese languages are very hard and difficult to learn? hell lot harder than English and Chinese. they have to learn :

kanji , hiragana, katakana , The Latin alphabet and grammer of coz. English you only have to learn A-Z ...... i.

if you want to watch Anime /drama without subtitle, learn their languare, not the other way round.

There are no languages too hard to learn. It is only a matter of attitude and economics! Years ago, quite a number of English-only speaking families in Singapore want to emigrate because they claim that Chinese is too difficult for the children to handle and they do not want to waste time on some useless pursuits such as learning their mother tongue.

Nowadays, we do not hear of that anymore !

The fact is English does not belong to England or USA or Australia or Canada...it belongs to the world. When I was working in China, I told my PRC colleagues that they should strive to learn and master English, because English also belongs to China, it was on loan to the white people for a period of time, so now must take it back !!

..... When I was working in China, I told my PRC colleagues that they should strive to learn and master English, because English also belongs to China, it was on loan to the white people for a period of time, so now must take it back !!

Before Qin Dynasty English was spoken by in some states in ancient China. Emperor Qin Shihuang hated it and put a stop to it because consonants such as th, l, sh, v, f etc were foreign sounds to Qin Court.

Chinese will take English back one day. First thing they do is burn all English books and unite the world under one language and replace English with 汉语. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie:

Last edited:
The fact is English does not belong to England or USA or Australia or Canada...it belongs to the world. When I was working in China, I told my PRC colleagues that they should strive to learn and master English, because English also belongs to China, it was on loan to the white people for a period of time, so now must take it back !!
The only true universal language is mathematics. :bsmilie:

The only true universal language is mathematics. :bsmilie:

And it was invented by Chinese and Egyptians.

Cleopatra%20%5B%5D.jpg