Testing Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeesus

Jun 25, 2008
Dear Brothers / Sisters

First of all sorry if this thread belongs to the Sigma/Tamron/Tokina group. I am not quite sure.

I have recently purchased a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 Nikon Mount and would like to test if I have gotten a sharp copy. I have read the various threads found in here (I might have missed out a few here and there) that there are some front and back focusing issues but the shop lady had mentioned that these problems are all related to the Canon model and not to Nikon. I do have realised that unlike Nikkor lens, this lens do tend to take its time to search for its subjects (takes longer time to AF).

I just want to be sure that my copy is good.

I am using a D200.

In advance thanks for your well-advises.

thanks!!!! I am reading it and it's very interesting!!!

OT a bit... my copy does not hunt during AF. in fact it hunts less often than my 105 VR micro, but of cos much slower than 70-200

are you using motorized version?

The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 comes in 2 versions, the new being the motorized version and the older one without. The motorized one should focus slightly faster.

i think if u do a search it will show otherwise ;)

i think if u do a search it will show otherwise ;)

Not sure about others though but I did a test before. I own the Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non-motorized version and also tested the motorized version that belongs another friend of mine. Was tested on a D200, seems a tat faster to me though. Might be because i tested it outdoors on a bright day :dunno: Seems like there are some discrepancies reported by some.

Last edited:
I do have realised that unlike Nikkor lens, this lens do tend to take its time to search for its subjects (takes longer time to AF).

Check which focus point you are using and make sure it points to a contrasty area. Whenever my lens starts hunting focus I notice that the focus point is pointing to some low contrast area. It mostly happens in low light conditions (evening, indoor). When using external flash or during daylight I don't have any issues, focus locks immediately.

I have purchased the motorized version as well as the shops do not carry the non-motorized version anymore. And yes I also encounter AF sometimes hunting even during the day and as well as in the night. Its gets a bit fustrating especially when you need to get AF quickly to take quick shots and you have the lens hunting around. I bought this lens for the F1 race and do hope it does not let me down.

However, the pictures which I have taken so far have turned out very well and I have to agree with that... and the wideness its awesome.

Yup I agree the lens tends to overexpose the shots slightly even with the exposure metering set to neutral...

hi buddy,

OT a bit...cos i intend to get 1 this week. which shop u bought n how much? cos i intend to use the focus chart to test n test b4 buying. so i m worried tat e shop keeper may be "stingy" hahaha
pm me if inconvenient to post here :)

PM-ed you GEL!

Status
Not open for further replies.