Testing response: Spain trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow you all had scary experience... makes me think twice about going there man...

Originally posted by skyflash
Looking from the other angle, there are many beautiful buildings, and nice people there.

Actually, as long as you are careful and prepare for the worst, you probably will come back in one piece. The idea is to make sure that you are the not the easiest target for them.

The major Spanish cities -- Madrid, Seville, and Barcelona -- are just like any other cities. One has to exercise some level of cautions with valuables -- that's a difficult task for Singaporeans who are used to low crime rates.

The popular tourist towns -- such as Granada, Toledo, Sergovia -- are quite okay. I dont sense any threats in Toledo or Granada. Was out in the streets late into the morning. (But, I do not carry any expensive camera).

Hmm. Looks like I'll be safer if I use P&S camera? :bsmilie:

I think it is okay if you take usual precautions. We avoided the metros in Madrid and Barcelona and thus walked and took cab until siao!. However, we took public transport elsewhere in other cities like Burgos, Valencia, Mallorca, Pamplona etc etc.

We were also warned by some Asian settlers in Spain to be careful with our cameras and they advised us to carry the cameras in plastic shopping bags instead of camera bags when you are travelling around in Barcelona! They thought we were too prominent with our F5s and F100s with AFS zoom lenses.

Other than that, do get a travel insurance that covers cameras beyond 500 bucks. I bought one that covered 9000 bucks of equipment. It gives a little bit more assurance.

I think there are varying climate throughout Spain....if you go in Nov, some parts will be really cold while others will feel like summer! We went there in June/July and never expected to encounter temperatures below 4 degrees but were mildly surprised to encounter that in Vitoria! The temperature in Madrid and Barcelona were 38 degrees.

cheers,
Tuck Loong

YES! U MUST be extremely alert!

I was nearly a victim too!

In Barcelona, when I boarded the metro, a guy touched my left shoulder & was cleaning some phlegm (which of coz he put it there wif his hands). Naturally I looked at my left shoulder.
Meanwhile, his accomplice reached into the right pocket of my jacket. Luckily I was travelling wif my frds & I of them saw it & grabbed the pickpocket & threw him out of the train juz when the door was abt to close. The other guy also quickly ran out.

Really dramatic moment I'll never forget!

Its better to go in a group of abt 5. Less chance of being mugged. Always look out for each other & be alert of ppl around.

Well... I must add tat Barcelona is really beautiful. Its my num 1 destination among my backpacking tour.

Of course the pallea is FANTASTIC. Even learnt how to make myself & bought the important ingredient (saffron) there.

Status
Not open for further replies.