Testing of the Carl Zeiss Jena 24mm F2.8 Lens ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fengwei

Aug 25, 2004
Queenstown
www.pbase.com
Got this lens from b&s forum (thanks to Eugene - a super nice seller) last Friday, did some test run on Saturday afternoon. Really love what I got from this old (but like new) manual (but w/ A setting) lens:

Wide open F2.8:
IMGP2636_small.jpg

Stop down to F8:
IMGP2664_s.jpg

Or F5.6:
IMGP2643_small.jpg

Shooting Flower:
IMGP2655_small.jpg

Closeup:
IMGP2656_small.jpg

Some fun shooting at the field:

IMGP2735_s.jpg

IMGP2738_s.jpg

IMGP2740_s.jpg

IMGP2745_s.jpg

All shots are full crop resized for web w/ minimum PPing, shot in jpg as usual. I'd say it's quite good for such an old (and cheap) lens :)

Cheers and happy shooting.

Excellent. Age does not matter when quality is here ( that 's what i repeat everyday to my girlfriend... ) :)

That's the reason why sony without zeiss does not look very attractive to me.

The sharpness and contrast. WoW :bigeyes:
If I'm not wrong you got it at B&S for $60 right ??
Good deal you have got. :thumbsup:
Thanks for sharing those pictures.
Always enjoy the series of your little daughter and son.
Hope to see some of their pics soon with this great lens. :bsmilie:

a nice review from fengwei :) Keep shooting nice pictures with that lens!

arty said:
Excellent. Age does not matter when quality is here ( that 's what i repeat everyday to my girlfriend... ) :)

That's the reason why sony without zeiss does not look very attractive to me.

Thanks Arty.... Sony would ve even attactive if they didn't charge too much for those Zeiss glass :bsmilie:

obewan said:
The sharpness and contrast. WoW :bigeyes:
If I'm not wrong you got it at B&S for $60 right ??
Good deal you have got.
Thanks for sharing those pictures.
Always enjoy the series of your little daughter and son.
Hope to see some of their pics soon with this great lens.

Yes, I got it from b&s, and for the price and performance, I'd say it's a great bargain. Actually I told Eugene (the seller) on the spot (when I took the lens) that the lens might be worth alot more thant what he asked for ;) What a nice seller ...

And thanks for the comments about my kids photos. Glad you like them too. I'm sure you'd see their photos again once in a while :D

Cheers,

eugenep said:
a nice review from fengwei :) Keep shooting nice pictures with that lens!

Thanks again for the nice lens, Bro. Would've taken the other two zoom lenses, but I'm not a zoomy guy, I use prime lenses mostly ...

Good luck in your sales :)

wow... very nice! for lack of a better word, very 3D feel. reminds me of my cosina voigthlander rangefinder lens.

Hi Feng Wei.
I noticed your images have very sharp contrast and the colours are very rich.
Even in auto pict mode using the kit lens, mine tend to have poorer contrast and colours are flatter. What colour setting do you typically use?
Thanks!

southernoise said:
wow... very nice! for lack of a better word, very 3D feel. reminds me of my cosina voigthlander rangefinder lens.

Thanks :) The lens is indeed very good. Better than the kit lens at least ;)

Cheers,

airconvent said:
Hi Feng Wei.
I noticed your images have very sharp contrast and the colours are very rich.
Even in auto pict mode using the kit lens, mine tend to have poorer contrast and colours are flatter. What colour setting do you typically use?
Thanks!

Thanks. Glad you like them. I use Av or M mode mostly, and I set the color to Natural. Most time I shoot in jpg, but I do use RAW when the light condition is tricky ...

Status
Not open for further replies.