Testing of camera lenses in shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfcry91

Jun 17, 2009
hey guys, juz wondering.. do shops like Cathay Photo allow u to test their lenses?

Why not? Any shops will allow that. If not, how to justify the quality of the pics taken with it before buying?

Hey sure they do.
I go to my regular equipment supplier Peninsula Shopping Centre. The boss there or the staff there are always more than happy to let me test out the lenses on my camera body. In fact, I do find myself testing and learning more about each lens, how sharp, how good the colour and the contrast, before I make decision on which one I would buy. I test various brands but don't know, mostly end up still buying Canon lenses.
When it comes to buying lenses, I believe shouldn't be too hasty. Really read and review your desired one and ask to have it tested out. I think most importantly still is the way you approach the staff. Be sincere and warm, and any self-respecting sales person will respond positively. Of course, being knowledgeable makes all the difference because they will know that you have readup on your stuff.
.. of course if for some unknown reason, the moment you step in, and the sales guys give you black face or something like that, then trust your vibes and quickly step out lah. They probably don't need your business. Lolx...

you sure can, unless you are buying from the BnS and some sellers will be rather unhappy if you test for too long..

It's better to try only if you're really interested in buying.
If not, they MAY blacklist you. ;)

depends on shop.

some shops don't seem to mind letting people massage the lens for long periods of time even without buying...

since can have word of mouth to say they "good service" and "see people up" :bsmilie:

Yup they do, i have very gd experience with them and give them :thumbsup: for the service.

Of course, the consumer will have to be reasonable too... Please don't try 20 different lenses and 10 different bodies and walk off just like that... There's a line between good service, and the abuse of good service.

Of course, the consumer will have to be reasonable too... Please don't try 20 different lenses and 10 different bodies and walk off just like that... There's a line between good service, and the abuse of good service.

i agree:thumbsup:

If any shops give me this attitude, i'll blacklist them instead.

yeah, that's the way to go. customer's always right:cool:

anyway, the shops are the ones which are more likely to give attitude

ah i see i see.. thanks for the replies guys.. :) im gonna get a new lens soon.. :)

Hmmm....interesting....if no interest to buy then still try....people are running business here not testing centre. no interest to buy go Nikon centre (if you using nikon) to try lens...they will be more than happy to serve u.
Anyway since you have no interest to buy at all, then the shop wont lose anything even if you blacklist them.
I think they rather you blacklist them

Last edited:
you sure can, unless you are buying from the BnS and some sellers will be rather unhappy if you test for too long..

would like to highlight on this...

the worst is, buyer still test the item, but end without buy, not because of the quality/function, but physical condition (but the condition is already stated as it is)

Does Nikon Centre carry all the lens?
Didn't know that you can try there... Thanks for the tip.. :p:thumbsup:

last time went there for servicing.
only got some bodies there for try, but u thunk cant turn it on, have to ask their staff about it.

of course they do...

they are the showroom

test there buy somewhere else...

They should have the lens that you want. Unless it's super exotic.

yeah, that's the way to go. customer's always right:cool:

anyway, the shops are the ones which are more likely to give attitude

From a GEMS course i recently attended, i learnt that customers are NOT always right, but always FIRST. :D

would like to highlight on this...

the worst is, buyer still test the item, but end without buy, not because of the quality/function, but physical condition (but the condition is already stated as it is)

sometimes ratings can be subjective la...so maybe it fell below the buyers expectations, so it is best to post pictures of the product you are selling

last time went there for servicing.
only got some bodies there for try, but u thunk cant turn it on, have to ask their staff about it.

cool, they provide good service right??...won't black face? and is the D3 there?:bigeyes:

From a GEMS course i recently attended, i learnt that customers are NOT always right, but always FIRST. :D

i see, come to think of it, i believe you are right, they aren't always right but should always try to accomodate;p

Status
Not open for further replies.