"Tested to 100,000 shuttle actuations"

UncleFai

Mar 10, 2010
Singapore
The announcement for the Nikon D7000 said something like "the D7000 was tested to 150,000 shuttle actuations whereas the D90 was tested only to 100,000 shuttle actuations".

Does this means that if my D90 has a shuttle count exceeding 100,000, it is screwed? What is the failure rate of the camera after exceeding that amount? Any clue?

u can keep a notebook how much shutter counts you been using for each shoot and be ready for it. :)

Well, NASA is retiring the space shuttle, so don't worry. You'll never be able to shoot 100,000 shuttles. ;)

As for your camera shutter, it's a general guideline. It just means the D7000 one is a bit more robust and, as a guesstimate, should last for at least 150,000 actuatins, but it might fail at 25,000 or last till 300,000. Stop worrying, shoot more. Chances are you'll sell the body or give up photography way before your shutter breaks. And even then, it's not expensive to get it fixed.

Well, NASA is retiring the space shuttle, so don't worry. You'll never be able to shoot 100,000 shuttles. ;)

As for your camera shutter, it's a general guideline. It just means the D7000 one is a bit more robust and, as a guesstimate, should last for at least 150,000 actuatins, but it might fail at 25,000 or last till 300,000. Stop worrying, shoot more. Chances are you'll sell the body or give up photography way before your shutter breaks. And even then, it's not expensive to get it fixed.
I can confirm that, so many camera in B&S has lower than 20k shutter counts. lol

I can confirm that, so many camera in B&S has lower than 20k shutter counts. lol

Better condition what. Otherwise next time people just put a weight on the shutter button on continuous high mode before selling off the camera, so the camera is more well-used, so can justify new purchase :)

I wish I could be one of those pros who can reach the shutter limit of the camera and make it die... but at the rate I'm taking photos, I think I won't ever make it this lifetime :cry:
(at least not the lifetime of my camera).

I wish I could be one of those pros who can reach the shutter limit of the camera and make it die... but at the rate I'm taking photos, I think I won't ever make it this lifetime :cry:
(at least not the lifetime of my camera).

u can learn from tung tong... ;p he told me he can change his shutter a few times per year :eek:

Hi, I shot 3D pano sweep mostly and will use up shutter counts before its life span

go and shoot timelapse photography..
produce a 30s clip you need nearly 1k shutter counts (30seconds times 30 frame per seconds)

:)

just produce a 1hr movie and you easily crosses 100k shutter actuations.
Btw, 108k. You have to include a budget for 2 new dslr as filming expenses for a full feature film.... :bsmilie:

u can learn from tung tong... ;p he told me he can change his shutter a few times per year :eek:

I can imagine the way Tung Tong shoots... yeah, he could!

go and shoot timelapse photography..
produce a 30s clip you need nearly 1k shutter counts (30seconds times 30 frame per seconds)

:)

Haha... depends on what's the interval. But not for me. The last time I tried something like that was 20sec per shot, for only an hour half.

Generally how much does it cost for a shuttle change? Any idea?

It just means the D7000 one is a bit more robust and, as a guesstimate, should last for at least 150,000 actuatins, but it might fail at 25,000 or last till 300,000. Stop worrying, shoot more. Chances are you'll sell the body or give up photography way before your shutter breaks. And even then, it's not expensive to get it fixed.

Thanks for the assurance.

By the way, what are the indications that you need to change the shuttle?

when you press shutter and it jams

anyway these published numbers are averages taken from the center of a bell curve

you just pray that your cam is in the median or +1 standard deviation and not in the -1 deviation group

The shutter you mean? Well, when it stops working. :)

Request by Mods to move Time Lapse topics to another thread.

Thank you.